Re: [toyota-prius] Question about 2006 Prius Key

    Message 1 of 28 , May 20 8:56 PM
      First things first .. if this is like the NHW11 (well, group, is it?) then
      the only key you should never lose is the black one. Gray can be
      duplicated and programmed (ok, the car can be programmed to recognize them
      if you do the dance correctly). Not $2, but not 600 either.
      So, what key(s) DO you have ?
      Pete

    • Doany
      Message 2 of 28 , May 20 9:35 PM
        you can find prius keys for sale on ebay

      • JODI & DAVID THOMAS
        Message 3 of 28 , May 20 10:07 PM
          I'm not sure about the NHW 11.... but losing a Prius key is not a dime-store deal!

          Couple years back I bought a second-hand TCH (50th Anniv Edition) which came to us with just one key. Obviously we did not wish to try to use a car with only one key!
          As I recall the pricing 29 months later: Dealership retails that key for $315 (we 'stole' one for 232.20), the special emergency door key for another hundred. Programming the main key to the car was $100 (we got a brother-in-law deal on that for nothing--except driving a 70-mile round-trip to another dealership), lazer-cutting the special door key another $100 (Pop a Lock did that for $50 if we went to their place... We managed a short-cut or two but this is no $35 deal!

           David and Jodi
          N 31° 04’ 01.6” (31.06710N)
          W 97° 23’ 00.9” (97.38357W)

        • Levi Smith
          Message 4 of 28 , May 21 5:08 AM
            If you have a Smart Key and you want to keep that functionality then you
            pretty much need to go to the dealer unless you can find a VERY intelligent
            aftermarket key person(they do exist, but I think I've only heard of one
            with the smarts and equipment).

            That said, IIRC, I bought my key for around $215 and had it programmed for
            more like $45. So if your dealer is charging $600, I'd highly advise
            shopping around!

            Levi

            Message 5 of 28 , May 21 5:11 AM
              Yes, but again, if you have a Smart Key and you want to keep it, you'll
              need to make sure you have a brand new key unless you have stumbled upon
              one of the VERY smart people out there. Again, I've only ever heard of
              one. And I believe even then, the cost of making a used key work for Smart
              key was about as expensive as a new one...

              Message 6 of 28 , May 21 5:13 AM
                The NHW11's can be done for cheap if you still have the master. The 2004+
                are a whole nother issue if you have Smart Key. I forgot about the laser
                cut part. I think that's 2006+ years...

                Message 7 of 28 , May 21 11:36 AM
                   Our used 2007 TCH came with one original(?) working key, and a used "Smart" key but dealer's test showed it had failed. It did come with the "emergency door key"; which was uncut! so I did not have to buy that!

                  A new "smart" key retails for about 315 (wholesales for (what'd I say before) 230.... I think 'programming' a used key is no cheaper than programming the brand new one--programming is not included in that 315....

                  But I might explore eBay.... At this moment, I keep hoping the "lost" one will reappear, but hopes are dying. We know for a certainty it came home (the care would not've run without it.... but it has not come out of hiding...

                   David and Jodi
                  N 31° 04’ 01.6” (31.06710N)
                  W 97° 23’ 00.9” (97.38357W)

                  Message 8 of 28 , May 21 11:41 AM
                    I'm not clear what a NHW11 key is. Our 2007 Prius is a Touring with all possible factory options .

                    [Actually the mechanical (door) key for Prius is fairly convention double-cut. the TCH is the internal lazer cut style....

                     David and Jodi
                    N 31° 04’ 01.6” (31.06710N)
                    W 97° 23’ 00.9” (97.38357W)

                    there no alternative to the dealer? >> >> >> >> David and Jodi >> N 31° 04’ 01.6” (31.06710N) >> W 97° 23’ 00.9” (97.38357W) >> >> >> >________________________________ >> > From: David Kelly <mailto:dkelly%40hiwaay.net> >> >To: Toyota Prius <mailto:toyota-prius%40yahoogroups.com> >> >Sent: Friday, May 10, 2013 4:23 PM >> >Subject: Re: [toyota-prius] Question about 2003 Prius MPG Variation >> > >> > >> > >> > >> >On May 10, 2013, at 12:25 PM, dkelly3272002 <mailto: >> dkelly327%40hotmail.com> wrote: >> > >> >> Based on the rest of your post, if I fill it to "full" (even when I >> know it should take more), if I wait 20-30 seconds then try to put more in, >> I should be able to get a more authentic "full?" Is that accurate? >> > >> >"Probably". A couple of times something like that has happened. I was >> distracted or something. Sometimes I even check my motor oil when the tank >> is filling. But something happened and nozzle clicked at say 4.6
[...]
                    then >> manually hold the handle at the slowest delivery, slower than the latch. >> Seems to produce the most consistent fill. Do similar with gasoline in >> Prius. >> > >> >$64 of diesel this morning. Then again it was the first time in 2 months. >> > >> >The whole point of all this is that you have nothing to celebrate or fret >> about the results of a single tank. Must compare multiple fills in >> aggregate. >> > >> >Also must point out one can not average MPGs to get the average of MPG. >> You have to total the miles and total the gallons, then divide those totals: >> > >> >100 miles 2 gallons = 50 MPG >> >360 miles 6 gallons = 60 MPG >> >average 55 MPG <<< WRONG >>> >> >Add them up: >> >460 miles 8 gallons = 57.5 MPG >> > >> >-- >> >David Kelly N4HHE, mailto:dkelly%40HiWAAY.net >> >============================================================ >> >Whom computers would destroy, they must first drive mad. >> > >> > >> > >> >> [Non-text portions of this
                    message have been removed] >> >>  >> > > >[Non-text portions of this message have been removed] > > > >------------------------------------ > >To access group's website features such as Files, Photos, Links, Database and Polls, go to >http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toyota-prius >, Photos, Links, Database and Polls, go to >http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/toyota-prius >Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

                  • Levi Smith
                    Message 9 of 28 , May 21 11:43 AM
                      Well, you know that the key was in/near the car when it was started... You
                      don't know it was there for the drive home... It could have been placed on
                      top of the car or otherwise fallen outside the car at some point...

                      Message 10 of 28 , May 21 11:44 AM
                        SInce our dealer has dealt with us for a number of years, it's possible we might get some compassion on the key pricing. We only bought one of the 3 toyotas there, but they've done  most of the servicing for all 3....

                         David and Jodi
                        N 31° 04’ 01.6” (31.06710N)
                        W 97° 23’ 00.9” (97.38357W)

                        Message 11 of 28 , May 21 11:45 AM
                          Tnx! I'll check that out....

                           David and Jodi
                          N 31° 04’ 01.6” (31.06710N)
                          W 97° 23’ 00.9” (97.38357W)

                          >________________________________

                        • Larry Finch
                          Message 12 of 28 , May 21 11:56 AM
                            On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 2:41 PM, JODI & DAVID THOMAS <
                            davidandjodi@...> wrote:

                            > I'm not clear what a NHW11 key is. Our 2007 Prius is a Touring with all
                            > possible factory options .

                            NHW11 is the 2001-2003 model. It has no relevance to your car. I don't know
                            why it was even mentioned.

                            best regards,
                            Larry

                            --
                            Larry Finch

                            N 40° 53' 47"
                            W 74° 03' 56"

                            Message 13 of 28 , May 22 10:28 AM
                              On May 21, 2013, at 12:07 AM, JODI & DAVID THOMAS <davidandjodi@...> wrote:

                              > lazer-cutting the special door key another $100 (Pop a Lock did that for $50 if we went to their place...

                              Had to special order it and took from perhaps a Thursday to a Monday or Tuesday to arrive but Mercedes-Benz cut a new mechanical key for my Smart Key (they call it KEYLESS GO, in capitals, and badly need to hire new people for naming things) for under $25. At the dealer.

                              I believe Mercedes-Benz and Toyota get their smart key systems from the same vendor. Hand in the door handle, and little black button operation is identical. Right down to a sequence of button presses on the key to toggle behavior of driver's door from driver-only to all-doors. The difference is Toyota defaults to driver's door only and Mercedes-Benz defaults to all doors. Oh, and Mercedes-Benz documents the procedure in the owner's manual and Toyota does not.

                              Message 14 of 28 , May 22 10:34 AM
                                I believe the 2nd gen doesn't need a laser cutter, but the Camry Hybrid and the 3rd gen Prius does need that

                                Ziad Al-Fawadleh

                              • JODI & DAVID THOMAS
                                Message 15 of 28 , May 31 2:17 PM
                                  I mentioned a few days ago the loss of our Prius key and the price of replacement. Some folks pooh-poohed the 600$ price I mentioned.

                                  The attached clipping is from page 55 of the latest (July) issue of Consumer Reports

                                  David Thomas
                                  (31.06710N)
                                  (97.38357W)

                                • Levi Smith
                                  Message 16 of 28 , May 31 5:45 PM
                                    I think your attachment got stripped. I'd say $600 may not be out of line
                                    for what a lot of dealers charge, but I'd say it's a lot more than I paid.

                                    On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 5:17 PM, JODI & DAVID THOMAS <
                                    davidandjodi@...> wrote:

                                    > **
                                    >

                                    > I mentioned a few days ago the loss of our Prius key and the price of
                                    > replacement. Some folks pooh-poohed the 600$ price I mentioned.
                                    >
                                    > The attached clipping is from page 55 of the latest (July) issue of
                                    > Consumer Reports
                                    >

                                    > David Thomas
                                    > (31.06710N)
                                    > (97.38357W)

                                  • JODI & DAVID THOMAS
                                    Message 17 of 28 , May 31 8:14 PM
                                      I see now that "Pruis Chat" strips non-text attachments!

                                      Here's the text scanned from July Consumer Reports p. 55:
                                       [A Consumer ] reports electronics engineer
                                      found that out
                                      the hard way. While at the beach, he forgot that the key to his Toyota Prius was in his pocket, went
                                      for a dip in the surf, and never saw the key again. The cost of a replacement: $600.
                                      Like many new cars, his Prius uses a proximity key that electronically unlocks the car when you touch the door handle and lets
                                      you start it by pressing a button on
                                      the dash. But even less sophisticated keys
                                      don't come cheap.
                                      Most ignition keys now have a tran

                                      But I sure would like to buy one for something more like what you paid!­

                                      David and Jodi
                                      N 31° 04’ 01.6” (31.06710N)
                                      W 97° 23’ 00.9” (97.38357W)

                                      >________________________________

                                    • Levi Smith
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Jun 1, 2013
                                        I paid about $200 for a new key. I see at least one on Ebay for $162 at
                                        the moment.

                                        Dealer charged me about $50 for programming.

                                        But that's for a good dealer. I called around to about 10 of the closest
                                        dealers and they were the ONLY ones that gave me a good feeling about
                                        answering the phone, knowing what they were talking about and offering
                                        reasonable pricing. (though it was still cheaper to buy the key online and
                                        take it to them). Just make sure if you buy the key elsewhere it's brand
                                        new and the dealership knows what's going on.

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Jun 1, 2013
                                          On May 31, 2013, at 10:14 PM, JODI & DAVID THOMAS <davidandjodi@...> wrote:

                                          > Here's the text scanned from July Consumer Reports p. 55:
                                          > [A Consumer ] reports electronics engineer found that out the hard way. While at the beach, he forgot that the key to his Toyota Prius was in his pocket, went for a dip in the surf, and never saw the key again. The cost of a replacement: $600.

                                          The lesson here is that if you are vacationing at the beach dealers know they have a sucker on the line.

                                          When traveling with others I always give a spare key to someone I am traveling with. Doesn't matter if expensive smart key or conventional mechanical key.