Re: [toyota-prius] Re: Speaking of Gas Mileage...

  • Tad
    Message 1 of 18 , May 20, 2013

      > Foot-on-brake also prevents ICE
      > from starting unless needed for AC (NHW-11) or to charge a below-min-limit
      > HV battery.

      How does this differ from no-foot-on-brake?

      On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 7:22 AM, Peter Blackford <priuspete@...>wrote:

      > Brake lights use much less than headlights, so not a huge deal anyway; also
      > most new cars now use LED brake lights (and you can change yours if not
      > already fitted), which draw even less. Foot-on-brake also prevents ICE
      > from starting unless needed for AC (NHW-11) or to charge a below-min-limit
      > HV battery.
      >
      > On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 9:05 AM, Edward Bonsell <ebonsell@...
      > >wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > Thank you for the response about starting the engine early. How about
      > this
      > > one.
      > > If you are going to be sitting at a light for a while, sitting there for
      > > some time with your foot on the brake and the brake lights on uses a lot
      > of
      > > electricity. What about putting it in park with no brake lights on and
      > > putting it in drive when you're ready to go? Will it save battery power?
      > > imagine the switch will wear out faster.
      > >
      > > Ed

    • Tom M
      Message 2 of 18 , May 20, 2013
        I use the select PARK approach whenever I am not the first car at the light.  Considering where the PARK button is located and how easy it is to get back into DRIVE it's a no-brainer for me.

        There is so much technology in the Prius that I'm almost sure that this doesn't have any effect on the PARK "switch" or how the change back to DRIVE may be wearing out a "switch".    While I have no basis for this, I have kind of always assumed that these make use of a Hall-effect device to detect the change.

        My main reason for using PARK is that I'm just too lazy to keep my foot on the brake.  Obviously, if I'm #1 in line then I'll use the brake.

        Tom

        "...experiments in recent years suggest that the conscious mind is like a monkey riding a tiger of subconscious decisions and actions in progress, frantically making up stories about being in control.” - Dennis Overbye in Science Times

      • jose montes
        Message 3 of 18 , May 22, 2013
          Pressing park will engage the electric detent pawl on the transmission. Depending on
          were you drive doing it multiple times ( traffic jam ) will surely cause wear and tear.