Re: [toyota-prius] 2012 Prius dash lights issue

  • Burt Trattner
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 7, 2013
      There is a setting somewhere in Display, where you can bypass the auto
      navigation brightness. I turned it off. So now daytime or night time,
      the Nav screen is a permanent comfortable white.

      On my 2011, I must manually turn off the headlights when I park. They
      will only time out if I lock the door.
      If I leave it unlocked, they wont shut off. If I do lock it, they then
      time out.

      Not related: I ran my 12 V battery down because when I closed the
      driver door I dint close it all the way. It looked closed, but was it
      was only resting on the safety latch and was still open only about
      1/4." It sat like that 2 days and the dome light ran down the 12 battery.

      Burt
      On 3/7/2013 8:02 AM, SuzB wrote:

      > I have been driving a new 2012 Prius since Oct. Quite different than
      > the 2005 and 2006 I had before.
      > I have noticed the dash board lighting dims sometimes, for no apparent
      > reason. Sometimes daylight, sometimes dark, cruising on the highway,
      > or driving thru town. Sometimes dims for just a second, other times
      > dims and stays dim. Asked the dealer to check... Of course they said
      > no problem found.
      > Last night when I arrived home I put it in park and turned it off, got
      > out and went inside. About ten minutes later noticed the headlights,
      > dome lights, etc were all still on. Went out and started the car, shut
      > it back off, and then they timed out as usual.
      > This morning I drove to work, parked car, and turned it off. I did not
      > get the usual MPG, Miles driven, etc screen. Turned car back on and
      > got a nearly blank dash.... Only the D/R symbols.
      > I am not sure if these are related issues, but I think that something
      > is not right. Any ideas?

    • Tad
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 7, 2013
        We have a 2010, but I assume its behavior is the same as your 2012.

        There's a sensor on the dash which controls the auto-dimming feature. I
        suspect what's happening is the sensor is being illuminated or shaded
        temporarily, resulting in the behavior you describe, but it's possible
        there's a loose connection or something else wrong. Also could be a bad
        rheostat in the manual dimmer control.

        I don't trust the timeout headlights for exactly the reason Burt mentions -
        you're not around to confirm that it actually timed out. Not to mention
        that you're wasting your limited battery capacity for those x number of
        minutes.

        I'd prefer that they just went off automatically with the "ignition", but
        failing that, I just get in the habit of switching them off manually.

        As for the blank dash, that definitely sounds not right. It's not clear
        whether you've tried to drive the car since then? If so what happened?
        You're sure you weren't in "accessory" mode?

        Sounds like an electrical problem for the dealer to troubleshoot, assuming
        you're under warranty.

        On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 5:02 AM, SuzB <suz_brown99@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > I have been driving a new 2012 Prius since Oct. Quite different than the
        > 2005 and 2006 I had before.
        > I have noticed the dash board lighting dims sometimes, for no apparent
        > reason. Sometimes daylight, sometimes dark, cruising on the highway, or
        > driving thru town. Sometimes dims for just a second, other times dims and
        > stays dim. Asked the dealer to check... Of course they said no problem
        > found.
        > Last night when I arrived home I put it in park and turned it off, got out
        > and went inside. About ten minutes later noticed the headlights, dome
        > lights, etc were all still on. Went out and started the car, shut it back
        > off, and then they timed out as usual.
        > This morning I drove to work, parked car, and turned it off. I did not get
        > the usual MPG, Miles driven, etc screen. Turned car back on and got a
        > nearly blank dash.... Only the D/R symbols.
        > I am not sure if these are related issues, but I think that something is
        > not right. Any ideas?

      • Perry, James
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 8, 2013
          This reminds me ... I really dislike the auto dim rear view mirror on our 2010. It seems that the headlights from cars behind me are oftentimes too bright. Interestingly, when I pull the car out of the (dark) garage in the day the auto dim mirror is dark and then brightens up. Seems very inconsistent with the way it should be. I asked dealer to check it and was told it was working as it should. I assume that a sensor picks up the headlights, but it ain't doin' it enough for my liking.

          If I were a car manufacturer I sure would ask my customers to suggest things.__

        • Gerard Gentile
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 11, 2013
            Hi
            Concerning the rear view mirror sensitivity I had the same issue with my
            2004
            Through this group I found that if you carefully rotate the mirror 180
            degrees so that the top is now at the bottom and bottom is at the top it
            will fix the problem
            I have done this on my daughters 2006 as well and it works fine

          • Perry, James
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 11, 2013
              Somehow I don't feel confident in rotating the mirror 180 degrees, what with all the stuff that is on it, like garage door opener buttons ... Maybe there are no wires, maybe there are.

              Jim Perry
              P and B Motorsports
              5157 North Loop Road
              Larsen, WI 54947
              (920) 594-1337
              pandbmotorsports@...<mailto:pandbmotorsports@...>
              http://pandbmotorsports.blogspot.com/
              "Whoever said retirement is 'Life in the Slow Lane' is not on my highway!"
              [cid:image001.png@01CE1EA4.2D79A620]