Re: [toyota-prius] Rex-the-Wonder-Car gets a "Spa Day"

  • Tad
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 3 10:41 AM
      Joe, could you elaborate on your "not push the limits on oil changes"
      statement?

      On Sun, Mar 3, 2013 at 8:28 AM, Joe Haletky <joefreak@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Hi all,
      > A week ago, I treated my 2002 Prius to a "spa day" at Luscious Garage in
      > San Francisco. At 312,000 it deserved some pampering. It badly needed an
      > oil change, and they had mentioned at an earlier servicing that the 12v
      > battery was looking a little weak and that the brake pads would finally
      > need to be replaced. So I got their basic servicing (with a throttle body
      > cleaning), a new 12v battery (the standard Prius battery), and the brake
      > job. In addition, the check engine light has been on more than off, and
      > they found it likely that my catalytic converter is pretty well shot, but
      > at $1,400 or so, I decided not to replace it. Results: car runs smooth as
      > silk, check engine light is now off more than on. My 12v battery has lasted
      > over 11 years and survived a couple of incidents of almost running down to
      > the point of my needing a jump. Back brakes, BTW, are still at 75%. I'm
      > ready to try for 400,000 miles now, with the understanding that I do need
      > to not push th e limit on oil changes as I've tended to do.
      > Joe (with Rex-the-Wonder-Car)

    • hlschmidt1941
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 4 10:14 AM
        --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, Joe Haletky <joefreak@...> wrote:

        > Hi Tad,
        > The recommended (by Toyota) interval in the United states between oil changes is 5,000 miles, as it is with most normal gas-powered cars.
        > Joe (with Rex-the-Wonder-Car)

        The recommended oil change interval for the Classic is 7,500 miles.
      • Bill Burns
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 4 10:35 AM
          On 3/4/2013 1:14 PM, hlschmidt1941 wrote:
          > --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, Joe Haletky <joefreak@...>
          > wrote:
          >>
          >> Hi Tad, The recommended (by Toyota) interval in the United states
          >> between oil changes is 5,000 miles, as it is with most normal
          >> gas-powered cars. Joe (with Rex-the-Wonder-Car)
          >
          > The recommended oil change interval for the Classic is 7,500 miles.

          And for all current models it's 10,000 miles, using 0W-20 oil.

          --
          Bill
        • Burt Trattner
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 4 10:37 AM
            If you do the research call Mobil I, they will tell you in the 1970's it
            was rated "good for 25K miles or 1 year whichever comes first." Since
            1975 thatls all I use and change it once a year. My Rv now with 145K
            miles which I bought new in 1999. Some long trips (NJ-AK) I went as far
            22K miles on the one change of oil. Still does not burn oil, clean and
            runs like new. 16-18 MPG

            Burt 2011 Prius and Winnie Rialta with VW 2.8 Vr-6 eng.
            *http://www.rialtainfo.com/thebaldy/index.htm*

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 4 11:04 AM
              Joe - since you seem inclined to pushing the limits, I'd suggest investing
              in a used oil analysis or two. It can be very enlightening and
              educational, and can tell you a surprising amount about how the oil and
              engine are performing.

            • docaaron1
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 4 12:56 PM
                Wow, 312K miles is amazing. Did you have to replace the traction battery at any point? If so, did you get a rebuilt battery or factory battery?

                Aaron
                137K miles
                '02 Prius

                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 4 5:45 PM
                  On Mar 4, 2013, at 12:14 PM, hlschmidt1941 <hlschmidt@...> wrote:

                  > --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, Joe Haletky <joefreak@...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >> Hi Tad,
                  >> The recommended (by Toyota) interval in the United states between oil changes is 5,000 miles, as it is with most normal gas-powered cars.
                  >> Joe (with Rex-the-Wonder-Car)
                  >
                  > The recommended oil change interval for the Classic is 7,500 miles.

                  It *was* but then Toyota retroactively dropped any mention of "severe duty" vs regular duty for all gasoline engines and declared, "5,000 miles or 6 months" for all sometime about 10 years ago. Toyota said they were tired of fearmongers pushing customers into accelerated "severe duty" when nothing short of outright competitive racing or taxi/police idling really met the severe duty specification.

                  When the ruckus over "sludging" of 1MZ-FE engines arose, Toyota offered extended engine warranty to all who could demonstrate an oil change was performed at least once per year.

                  As for European 10,000 miles, special extended drain oils are required.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 6 8:19 PM
                    On Mar 4, 2013, at 12:37 PM, Burt Trattner <btrattner@...> wrote:

                    > If you do the research call Mobil I, they will tell you in the 1970's it
                    > was rated "good for 25K miles or 1 year whichever comes first."

                    However today we have real published performance standards that an oil must meet to claim extended drain properties. Not all Mobil-1 products meet those standards.