Re: CAN A PRIUS BE USED TO RUN ELECTRIC IN A HOUSE?

  • extra_ball_when_lit
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 12, 2012
      It's been discussed for several years.

      One such web site devoted to it: http://www.priups.com/ (there are more, just go searching...)

      Scott
    • Troy Benjegerdes
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 12, 2012
        Well, there is http://www.priups.com/

        On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 11:37:39PM -0500, paul ramski wrote:
        > Paul

      • David B. Gustavson
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 13, 2012
          Look at http://priups.com
          As I recall, experiments showed that the high voltage battery connection can handle 10kW. However, it's not easy to find 10kW 300 VDC inverters.
          Furthermore, some inverter designs would make the battery terminals (and thus perhaps the car) swing wildly in voltage compared to ground, which would not be good! UPS inverter designs can assume their battery is isolated, so this may not be a concern for them.
          However, I don't recall that being mentioned except in a paper about inverter design, so perhaps it's not a problem in practice.
          DaveGadgeteer
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 13, 2012
            On Dec 13, 2012, at 10:56 AM, Michael Welch <michael_welch@...> wrote:

            > But, the other factor is energy, which has to do with how long you can use the power that is available. The current Prius has a 4.4 kWh battery, which most homes would empty very quickly.

            Only the PHEV ZVW35 has the 4.4 kWh battery. Plain ZVW30 is only 1.4 kWh. The NHW20 is approximately the same as ZVW30 (201 volts times 6.5 AH = 1300 Wh).

          • lprram3@aol.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 16, 2012
              Great Idea!

              Thanks

              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 9, 2013
                see the OP date? Yahoo seems to be having a case of deja vu...

                On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 12:42 AM, Troy Benjegerdes <hozer@...> wrote:

                > **
                >

                > Well, there is http://www.priups.com/
                >
                > On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 11:37:39PM -0500, paul ramski wrote:
                > > Paul

              • Tad
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 9, 2013
                  I suspect these are all posts that have been stuck in the queue and are
                  just now being unleashed... by the mod?

                  Who is the mod anyway?

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 10, 2013
                    On Jan 9, 2013, at 6:52 PM, Tad <tadc@...> wrote:

                    > I suspect these are all posts that have been stuck in the queue and are
                    > just now being unleashed... by the mod?
                    >
                    > Who is the mod anyway?

                    It says if you would look in the X-eGroups-Approved-By: header.

                  • Burt Trattner
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 10, 2013
                      In a temporary power outage:

                      Start with my 1500W cobra inverter.
                      http://www.amazon.com/Cobra-CPI-1575-Power-Inverter/dp/B00126IDDC

                      Lift hood.
                      Locate cover fro the 12v battery JUMP Start posts.
                      Lift cover and connect the invert's 12V cables as if you were jump
                      starting the Prius. (Refer to the manual) Make sure the power switch
                      for the inverter is off.

                      Run extension cords to the fridge and wherever you want. Use the
                      provided 3 cobra outlets. The cobra has a LED display indicating
                      wattage, current and input volts.

                      Start the Prius engineand leave it on.

                      Turn on the cobra inverter. The Priu's inverter will keep the 12V
                      battery charged automatically off the traction batteries. When the
                      traction batteries go low, the engine will start and replenish. In a
                      garage keep the door open to avoid CO.

                      Load share. Other than air conditioning and a 220V furnace fan, you can
                      run the house phone, cell chargers ,TV's lights, PC etc.
                      The fridge will be a big draw. Load share with the fridge on and off
                      every few hours (depending on fridge size/wattage). Use 10W CFL's bulbs
                      to keep power low.

                      If you plan to use a high current extra device like your washing machine
                      or table saw, turn off the fridge for the time being.

                      Burt 2011