Re: [toyota-prius] 2002 Prius 178K miles FIXED wobbly going downhill

    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 30, 2012
      On Nov 30, 2012, at 7:40 AM, Bob <bwilson4web@...> wrote:

      >> I am still curious why it would make such a big difference when coasting downhill
      >> vs accelerating. The vibration was probably twice as bad when coasting. Why
      >> would that be?
      >
      > When coasting, the drag force would try to spray the wheels outward making the toe even worse.

      Yes and no. This sort of thing depends entirely on the model of car because one can toe in where another toes out, and others makes no difference.

      It matters whether the tie rods are fore or aft of the axle.

      It matters where the ball joints are located at the wheel and where the ball joints are located inboard. Ideal location results in a parallelogram where the wheels always stay pointed in the proper direction. But perhaps the theoretically perfect location doesn't mean perfect handling or driver feedback.

      Static wheel alignment on 1984 VW Rabbit specs toe-out. Static wheel alignment on 1985 VW Golf specs toe-in. Trust me, a Golf aligned to Rabbit specs is a fright on wet roads.

      As for the 179,000 mile NHW11, I fully expect there is some slop in the suspension somewhere after all those miles. Perhaps not enough to be unsafe but enough to aggravate out of balance wheels. Also consider shock absorbers.