Re: [toyota-prius] Fan for Batteries on Classic and Noises

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 20, 2012
      On Nov 19, 2012, at 11:18 PM, Phyllis Kopelman Day <phyllisday@...> wrote:

      > It's been a long time since I heard the fan running in the back above the
      > batteries. I wonder if some of the battery failures have to do with a faulty
      > fan? Usually the fan is audible just before I turn off the car. But not
      > lately. In fact, today just before shutting down, I heard a very faint
      > whine/whistle sound that almost was like an alarm (fweet fweet fweet) going
      > off. Anyone have any ideas? I know that sometimes the engine has a whine,
      > but it is one steady tone and very faint and only at higher speeds. Never
      > heard that on and off "fweet" sound.

      Only time I have heard my fan was after backing up a steep driveway.

      The ICE can not move a Prius in reverse, it has to be done with battery and MG2.

    • erwin obourdin
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 21, 2012
        There was a warning from Toyota to clean out the air-inlet-filters.
        You can't imagine what gets clogged up there! ;-)

        Also the fan itself can gather some dust and become ineffective.

        And indeed, in warm weather, the battery becomes too hot, and the triangle-of-death appears on your display !

        cu,
        Erwin (B)

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 21, 2012
          I guess it depends on the type of things (or passengers) you carry - at
          100K miles, mine was inspected (not an easy thing to access...), and found
          to be as-new with clean blades and pristine bearings.
          non-smoker, most often no passengers...
          Pete YMMV

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 21, 2012
            On Nov 21, 2012, at 11:54 AM, Peter Blackford <priuspete@...> wrote:

            > I guess it depends on the type of things (or passengers) you carry - at
            > 100K miles, mine was inspected (not an easy thing to access...), and found
            > to be as-new with clean blades and pristine bearings.
            > non-smoker, most often no passengers...
            > Pete YMMV

            Probably due to the fact the traction battery fan almost never runs. Have only heard mine twice. In practice lithium batteries require liquid cooling. Toyota is not stupid for using NiMH.