Fan for Batteries on Classic and Noises

  • Phyllis Kopelman Day
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 19, 2012
      It's been a long time since I heard the fan running in the back above the
      batteries. I wonder if some of the battery failures have to do with a faulty
      fan? Usually the fan is audible just before I turn off the car. But not
      lately. In fact, today just before shutting down, I heard a very faint
      whine/whistle sound that almost was like an alarm (fweet fweet fweet) going
      off. Anyone have any ideas? I know that sometimes the engine has a whine,
      but it is one steady tone and very faint and only at higher speeds. Never
      heard that on and off "fweet" sound.

      Pruis Phyl

      2002 Blue Moon Pearl

      97K miles

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 20, 2012
        On Nov 19, 2012, at 11:18 PM, Phyllis Kopelman Day <phyllisday@...> wrote:

        > It's been a long time since I heard the fan running in the back above the
        > batteries. I wonder if some of the battery failures have to do with a faulty
        > fan? Usually the fan is audible just before I turn off the car. But not
        > lately. In fact, today just before shutting down, I heard a very faint
        > whine/whistle sound that almost was like an alarm (fweet fweet fweet) going
        > off. Anyone have any ideas? I know that sometimes the engine has a whine,
        > but it is one steady tone and very faint and only at higher speeds. Never
        > heard that on and off "fweet" sound.

        Only time I have heard my fan was after backing up a steep driveway.

        The ICE can not move a Prius in reverse, it has to be done with battery and MG2.

      • erwin obourdin
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 21, 2012
          There was a warning from Toyota to clean out the air-inlet-filters.
          You can't imagine what gets clogged up there! ;-)

          Also the fan itself can gather some dust and become ineffective.

          And indeed, in warm weather, the battery becomes too hot, and the triangle-of-death appears on your display !

          cu,
          Erwin (B)

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 21, 2012
            I guess it depends on the type of things (or passengers) you carry - at
            100K miles, mine was inspected (not an easy thing to access...), and found
            to be as-new with clean blades and pristine bearings.
            non-smoker, most often no passengers...
            Pete YMMV

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 21, 2012
              On Nov 21, 2012, at 11:54 AM, Peter Blackford <priuspete@...> wrote:

              > I guess it depends on the type of things (or passengers) you carry - at
              > 100K miles, mine was inspected (not an easy thing to access...), and found
              > to be as-new with clean blades and pristine bearings.
              > non-smoker, most often no passengers...
              > Pete YMMV

              Probably due to the fact the traction battery fan almost never runs. Have only heard mine twice. In practice lithium batteries require liquid cooling. Toyota is not stupid for using NiMH.