help with claims adjustor?? value of new traction & aux batteries and ECU?

  • infohound2003
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 15, 2012
      Hi folks,
      My 2001 Prius -- with 9-month-old traction and aux batteries and ECU --
      was just rear-ended while sitting at a stoplight. The car has 163K
      miles, and the insurance valued the car at $5,600, claiming that the
      batteries only increased the value by $100, so they won't pay for the
      $5,010 damage estimate.
      I found a couple of similar 2001 prii with a salvage title on Craigslist
      for ~$5,000 -- (133K) without new ECUs/traction batteries. But It's not
      like I can point to other Prii with new traction batteries and ECUs on
      Craigslist.com or autotrader.com. And the Kelley BB won't factor that
      in either.
      How can I negotiate with the claims adjustor about the true value of the
      car? We spent $4,000 for new ECU and OEM batteries this the spring
      because the car is otherwise in great condition, and I expected to keep
      driving it for a long time.
      I can't believe that a new 100,000+mile traction battery would only add
      $100 to the car value -- I am guessing they just checked a "new battery"
      checkbox in their software. Their offer is to total the car, pay me
      $4,500 and let me keep the car -- but with a salvage title. Or give me
      $6,500 if I release the car to them.
      What can I do to get a fair valuation?? I'd really like to keep the
      car -- and in either case, to get a fair deal.

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 15, 2012
        On Nov 15, 2012, at 9:56 PM, infohound2003 <lucy.berlin@...> wrote:

        > How can I negotiate with the claims adjustor about the true value of the
        > car? We spent $4,000 for new ECU and OEM batteries this the spring
        > because the car is otherwise in great condition, and I expected to keep
        > driving it for a long time.

        Here's what I would do. If the new parts only add $100 to the value of the car then accept their $5600 on the condition that you will give them $100 and take your new parts off the car. If they protest then insist that they set the value of parts for which you paid $4000 in the past year.

        In their defense the car was only worth $5500 if it was in reasonable drivable condition. You had to put those parts in the car to keep it drivable.

        I think it likely they will accept your offer because it won't make $100 of difference whether the car has a new traction battery or no battery at all at the auction they will dispose of the car.

        Don't know what a used but updated ECU is worth but your traction battery should bring between $500 and $1000. The auxiliary battery $50 or so. First guess would be to list the parts on Craigslist but for some odd reason Craigslist has a prohibition against selling used batteries. Prius email lists such as this are not intended for selling used parts but done in good taste and moderation no one would mind.

        Consider how the auxiliary battery could be useful around the home. Add a charger and an inverter and you have an emergency power UPS.

        Perhaps you will find someone who is in the same shoes you were wearing this past spring who needs a new traction battery but doesn't want to bother. Buy their Prius cheap and put your batteries in it. You might come out ahead with a profit.

      • Tom M
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 16, 2012
          He might be able to sell the (relatively) new traction batter and ECU through priuschat.com.  I don't know if they have a prohibition on selling batteries.

          Tom

          "...experiments in recent years suggest that the conscious mind is like a monkey riding a tiger of subconscious decisions and actions in progress, frantically making up stories about being in control.” - Dennis Overbye in Science Times

          >________________________________

        • pfforensics1
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 18, 2012
            David gives good advice.

            Since you were not at fault can you sue the other driver for the monetary harm done to you? Have you signed any release yet? I realize that it is a risk to involve an attorney, but, maybe you will not have to. You should also consider drafting a polite but firm letter to the at fault driver informing him/her of your intentions to bring a civil action and that you will be seeking court costs, attorney costs, and damages. Then, in the same letter, offer a negotiated settlement with an amount that will make you whole but avoid the trouble and expense for both sides in actually filing and pursuing a civil suit.

            or, you could just steal another Prius.

            Good luck,

            Mike

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 21, 2012
              On Nov 18, 2012, at 10:27 AM, "pfforensics1" <pfocus.adams@...> wrote:

              > or, you could just steal another Prius.

              A virtual steal: http://huntsville.craigslist.org/ctd/3377996840.html

              Its a bit too good to believe.

              Take the $5600 (or $5500), buy this, put your new traction battery and ECU in it whether this one needs it or not.