Re: Hello to Prius owners-after 12 years of Prius ownership I'm leaving this club.

  • Felix
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 13, 2012
      --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "tszukow" <tszukow@...> wrote:

      > Planetary gear is a power splitting device not transmission,and
      > unlike transmissions -there is really nothing that can go wrong
      > inside.

      I guess these are nothing:

      NHW11:
      MG2 burns out.
      Sleeve bearings fail.
      Etc.

      NHW20:
      PSD thrust bearing fails, PSD moves mis-aligning the chain to the final drive, chain tries to jump off and snaps in doing so since it can't stretch.

      http://lusciousgarage.com/blog/comments/gen_2_prius_2004_2009_transmission_failure_p0aa6_p0a92_p0a7a/

      Also I recall a few differential bearing failures?

      Granted the failures are a very small percentage, but they do fail.
    • Jim
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 2, 2012
        What p.m. needs to be done to the Prius tranny? Filters? fluids?

        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 2, 2012
          On Dec 2, 2012, at 1:00 PM, Jim <toybld@...> wrote:

          > What p.m. needs to be done to the Prius tranny? Filters? fluids?

          Your NHW11 uses a different Toyota-specific ATF than NHW20 but if I read what Bob Wilson has to say correctly its best to use what Toyota specifies.

          There is no filter, its a relatively simple drain and fill. No torque converter. No nothin'.

          Bob goes the extra mile and removes the transmission pan for a complete cleaning.

          http://hiwaay.net/~bzwilson/prius/pri_T_cold.html#CHANGE

        • James Spell
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 2, 2012
            Thank you