Re: [toyota-prius] $20 per gallon in NYC-Craigs list

  • Walter Lee
    Message 1 of 31 , Nov 13, 2012
      David,

      I'd really am interested in this scenario and what my options are.
      I messed up last time - I don't want to mess up twice. (9_9)Can you confirm whether I am getting the basics correctly. (9_9)

      The Peter's reasoning goes as follows: the power loss from the input circuityr (fuse)  to the actual power adapter is  30W ( 150w-120w) or 20% power loss in the adapter circuitry.  We supposing there is another 20% loss from from the 12VDC to 120VAC power inverter that would be  24W ( 120W-24W) = 96 W output which is under 100W output rating which is why Peter is suggesting  the next popular power inverter max output rating of 80W - to avoid drawing a load greater than 120W. That is to say when getting an inverter we need to make sure that the 12VDC-to-120VAC inverter's maximum input power load does not exceed the 120w and not to get that mixed up with the advertised  maximum output  power load.

      The Prius Owner's Manual  says that the Prius battery terminals under neath the hood (Jumpstarting section is on page 543-547 of Section 5-2 in the 2010 Prius Owner's manual but with the warning on page 547) is design only to jump start the Prius battery and is not designed to jump start another vehicle.  However, it doesn't say anything about how it could be used to recharge another standalone battery.  Why would  recharging a standalone battery be safe but jumpstarting a vehicle would not safe?

      Thanks.

      Walter

      Message 31 of 31 , Nov 13, 2012
        On Nov 13, 2012, at 6:19 AM, Walter Lee wrote:

        > David,
        >
        > I'd really am interested in this scenario and what my options are.
        > I messed up last time - I don't want to mess up twice. (9_9)Can you confirm whether I am getting the basics correctly. (9_9)
        >
        > The Peter's reasoning goes as follows: the power loss from the input circuityr (fuse) to the actual power adapter is 30W ( 150w-120w) or 20% power loss in the adapter circuitry.

        I think you are trying to over think it.

        If the inverter can really put out 80W (most are sold by liars) then we know the input draw must be at least 80W. The Prius outlet is rated 120W. There is a conversion loss somewhere in your 80W inverter. So we say that an 80W inverter is about the limit of what one can safely use on a 120W supply. Perhaps you could get by with a 100W unit.

        Truth be told 119W isn't going to be safe when 121W is a sure kill. These things are not that predictable. Gut feel from experience says 80W should be safe, 100W might be safe, and 120W rated inverter is certainly not safe at its full capacity because it will be drawing more than 120W.