Re: [toyota-prius] $20 per gallon in NYC-Craigs list

    Message 1 of 31 , Nov 12, 2012
      On Nov 12, 2012, at 8:52 PM, Walter Lee <waltermlee@...> wrote:

      > The limit of the 2010 Toyota Prius 12VDC power plug under the transmission shifter is 120W that is the circuit trips at 10amp even though it is protected by a 15amp micro fuse under driver's steering column ( 12vdc x 10 amp = 120 watt max, see page 379-380,462-468 in your Prius Owner's Guide )

      Which only supports Peter Blackford's statement that an 80W inverter is about the limit as to what one should plug in that outlet. An 80W inverter does not consume 80W, its supposed to output 80W, so it consumes more than 80W at that level of output.

      I think running a Prius in READY mode to operate an 80W inverter is a terrible waste. At inflated Sears/Kmart prices one can purchase a 115 amp-hour DieHard deep cycle battery for $135. The AH rating is based on a 20 hour discharge, roughly 6 amps for 20 hours. That will get your 80W inverter through the night. *Then* connect it to the Prius through jumper cables under the hood and let it charge an hour or so. Then back inside on the inverter.

      Message 31 of 31 , Nov 13, 2012
        On Nov 13, 2012, at 6:19 AM, Walter Lee wrote:

        > David,
        >
        > I'd really am interested in this scenario and what my options are.
        > I messed up last time - I don't want to mess up twice. (9_9)Can you confirm whether I am getting the basics correctly. (9_9)
        >
        > The Peter's reasoning goes as follows: the power loss from the input circuityr (fuse) to the actual power adapter is 30W ( 150w-120w) or 20% power loss in the adapter circuitry.

        I think you are trying to over think it.

        If the inverter can really put out 80W (most are sold by liars) then we know the input draw must be at least 80W. The Prius outlet is rated 120W. There is a conversion loss somewhere in your 80W inverter. So we say that an 80W inverter is about the limit of what one can safely use on a 120W supply. Perhaps you could get by with a 100W unit.

        Truth be told 119W isn't going to be safe when 121W is a sure kill. These things are not that predictable. Gut feel from experience says 80W should be safe, 100W might be safe, and 120W rated inverter is certainly not safe at its full capacity because it will be drawing more than 120W.