Re: [toyota-prius] Re: $20 per gallon in NYC-Craigs list

    Message 1 of 31 , Nov 12, 2012
      For anyone inclined to do this, just a couple of helpful notes:
      1. 80W is about as large a unit as you should use with the DC plug
      (formerly known as cig lighter outlet).
      2. Up to 1 kw can be 'had' by connecting directly to the 12V battery with
      suitably-heavy cables. What you don't want to compromise is the 100A fuse
      in the Prius, so use of an 80A in-line fuse with the larger inverter is
      highly recommended.
      Pete

      Message 31 of 31 , Nov 13, 2012
        On Nov 13, 2012, at 6:19 AM, Walter Lee wrote:

        > David,
        >
        > I'd really am interested in this scenario and what my options are.
        > I messed up last time - I don't want to mess up twice. (9_9)Can you confirm whether I am getting the basics correctly. (9_9)
        >
        > The Peter's reasoning goes as follows: the power loss from the input circuityr (fuse) to the actual power adapter is 30W ( 150w-120w) or 20% power loss in the adapter circuitry.

        I think you are trying to over think it.

        If the inverter can really put out 80W (most are sold by liars) then we know the input draw must be at least 80W. The Prius outlet is rated 120W. There is a conversion loss somewhere in your 80W inverter. So we say that an 80W inverter is about the limit of what one can safely use on a 120W supply. Perhaps you could get by with a 100W unit.

        Truth be told 119W isn't going to be safe when 121W is a sure kill. These things are not that predictable. Gut feel from experience says 80W should be safe, 100W might be safe, and 120W rated inverter is certainly not safe at its full capacity because it will be drawing more than 120W.