Re: [toyota-prius] Re: $20 per gallon in NYC-Craigs list

  • Bill Burns
    Message 1 of 31 , Nov 12, 2012
      On 11/12/2012 7:54 AM, docaaron1 wrote:
      >> Any Prius to the rescue stories out there?
      > http://www.northjersey.com/news/178543911_Road_Warrior__Two_hybrids_that_tamed_Sandy_out_to_be_a_generator_on_wheels.html?c=y&page=1
      >
      > Now that's what I'm talking about.

      Good story, but 90% of the comments, as usual, are from know-nothing
      Prius haters.

      Here on Long Island our power was out for six days immediately after
      Sandy, back for three days, then out again for almost five days after
      the nor'easter (just got it back last night). I plugged an 80 watt
      inverter from Harbor Freight ($17) into the lighter socket on my Prius C
      and was able to run heat (steam boiler, so it has no pumps, circulators
      or fans, just the power vent damper and electronic ignition), a couple
      of lights, and my internet and phone connections, as well as charging my
      laptop and cellphone as needed.

      --
      Bill
      Message 31 of 31 , Nov 13, 2012
        On Nov 13, 2012, at 6:19 AM, Walter Lee wrote:

        > David,
        >
        > I'd really am interested in this scenario and what my options are.
        > I messed up last time - I don't want to mess up twice. (9_9)Can you confirm whether I am getting the basics correctly. (9_9)
        >
        > The Peter's reasoning goes as follows: the power loss from the input circuityr (fuse) to the actual power adapter is 30W ( 150w-120w) or 20% power loss in the adapter circuitry.

        I think you are trying to over think it.

        If the inverter can really put out 80W (most are sold by liars) then we know the input draw must be at least 80W. The Prius outlet is rated 120W. There is a conversion loss somewhere in your 80W inverter. So we say that an 80W inverter is about the limit of what one can safely use on a 120W supply. Perhaps you could get by with a 100W unit.

        Truth be told 119W isn't going to be safe when 121W is a sure kill. These things are not that predictable. Gut feel from experience says 80W should be safe, 100W might be safe, and 120W rated inverter is certainly not safe at its full capacity because it will be drawing more than 120W.