Re: Hello to Prius owners-after 12 years of Prius ownership I'm leaving this club.

  • tdef2001
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 11, 2012
      Cool. Me too. I put my deposit down on Thursday and am awaiting confirmation that they will get it before the end of the year. They said they can pull one enroute to another dealer.

      I won't part with my Prius ('02 200k+ miles, still running great) however. Maybe pass it to the kids one day.

      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 11, 2012
        On Nov 11, 2012, at 1:43 AM, tszukow <tszukow@...> wrote:

        > Well as a hybrid cars we don't have to worry about transmissions issues as they dont have one...

        Totally incorrect. Your Prius most certainly does have a transmission, its just that its unlike most any other. Ford uses similar in their hybrids. Honda uses totally conventional transmissions which is in no small part why Honda hybrids get poor MPG and no respect.

        Greatly simplifying, if the hybrid electrical systems on a Prius fails the car can not move even if the engine runs. On a Honda if the hybrid electrical systems fail then the car works just the same as a conventional car.

        Honda's hybrid system is basically a pancake motor/generator replacing flywheel and starter. Its brilliant in that it is very easy for Honda to make hybrid versions of everything they make. Is less brilliant in that the benefits are minimal.

        > as far as I know F150 or ford focus is one of their reliability icons with little or no complains.

        MyFord (previously known as Ford Sync) electronic dash board and entertainment system sucks on everything. And Ford has screwed up the programming on automatic transmissions, including F-150. It usually works right, is said to shift rough sometimes, and my friend's top of the line F-150 Raptor tries to run in too high of a gear around 35 MPH.

      • tszukow
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 13, 2012
          Planetary gear is a power splitting device not transmission,and unlike transmissions -there is really nothing that can go wrong inside.

          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 13, 2012
            On Nov 13, 2012, at 2:05 PM, tszukow wrote:

            > --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, David Kelly <dkelly@...> wrote:
            >
            >> On Nov 11, 2012, at 1:43 AM, tszukow <tszukow@...> wrote:
            >>
            >>> Well as a hybrid cars we don't have to worry about transmissions issues as they dont have one...
            >>
            >> Totally incorrect. Your Prius most certainly does have a transmission, its just that its unlike most any other. Ford uses similar in their hybrids.
            >
            > Planetary gear is a power splitting device not transmission,and unlike transmissions -there is really nothing that can go wrong inside.

            You have to be kidding. Suggest one try looking up "transmission" in a dictionary. The applicable result will say: "the mechanism by which power is transmitted from an engine to the wheels of a motor vehicle."

            Know how conventional automatic transmissions shift gears? Planetary gears. Toyota's Hybrid Synergy Drive puts a motor-generoror on the outer ring. Conventional automatic transmissions use a band around a planetary gear to either lock it stationary or let it spin free, the exact same thing the Prius motor-generator does, but the Prius does everything in between, forwards and backwards.

            Know what lubricant Toyota puts in the compartment labeled "transaxle" on the Prius? ATF WS. Same automatic *transmission* fluid as used in most all other Toyotas.

            Transaxle is a unified transmission plus differential, usually found in the front of front wheel drive cars but also at the rear of certain cars such as a Porsche 928 and current Corvettes.

            Yes, the Prius is a *bit* different, it doesn't have a torque converter. But at the same time the Prius has two fairly large electric motors soaking their windings in transmission fluid which conventional transmissions do not. tszukow has (or had) an NHW11, has been around here since 2000, and should full well know of the many transmission problems NHW11 owners have experienced.

          • Felix
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 13, 2012
              --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "tszukow" <tszukow@...> wrote:

              > Planetary gear is a power splitting device not transmission,and
              > unlike transmissions -there is really nothing that can go wrong
              > inside.

              I guess these are nothing:

              NHW11:
              MG2 burns out.
              Sleeve bearings fail.
              Etc.

              NHW20:
              PSD thrust bearing fails, PSD moves mis-aligning the chain to the final drive, chain tries to jump off and snaps in doing so since it can't stretch.

              http://lusciousgarage.com/blog/comments/gen_2_prius_2004_2009_transmission_failure_p0aa6_p0a92_p0a7a/

              Also I recall a few differential bearing failures?

              Granted the failures are a very small percentage, but they do fail.
            • Jim
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 2, 2012
                What p.m. needs to be done to the Prius tranny? Filters? fluids?

                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 2, 2012
                  On Dec 2, 2012, at 1:00 PM, Jim <toybld@...> wrote:

                  > What p.m. needs to be done to the Prius tranny? Filters? fluids?

                  Your NHW11 uses a different Toyota-specific ATF than NHW20 but if I read what Bob Wilson has to say correctly its best to use what Toyota specifies.

                  There is no filter, its a relatively simple drain and fill. No torque converter. No nothin'.

                  Bob goes the extra mile and removes the transmission pan for a complete cleaning.

                  http://hiwaay.net/~bzwilson/prius/pri_T_cold.html#CHANGE

                • James Spell
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 2, 2012
                    Thank you