Left Set of Buttons on MFD Housing not Working in 2008 Prius

  • raylabii
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 9, 2012
      The Left buttons on the MDF housing stopped working today. These include the Climate and Audio buttons which I am going to REALLY miss!

      Anyone have similiar issues or suggestions?
      Also looking for good guides or drawings showing diss-assembly of the center dash console area.

      Thanks,

      Ray L.
    • jeffrey_denenberg
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 10, 2012
        Ray,

        Read Hobbit's discussion of the earlier problems with a cracking solder joint. Your 2007 MFD and dash is very similar to the 2004 he discusses. He has pictures and removal instructions.

        http://techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/mfd/

        and talk to Steve at: http://www.autobeyours.com

        JeffD

        --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "raylabii" <raylabsforums@...> wrote:

        > The Left buttons on the MDF housing stopped working today. These include the Climate and Audio buttons which I am going to REALLY miss!
        >
        > Anyone have similiar issues or suggestions?
        > Also looking for good guides or drawings showing diss-assembly of the center dash console area.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Ray L.

      • Michael Jozwiak
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 10, 2012
          Yes, I had problems with the Multi Function Display System on the 2004 Prius I owned. The screen malfunctioned around January, 2005, about 16 months after I took possession of the vehicle. Toyota replaced the unit with a refurbished unit for in-between $400 to $600. I paid, but really Toyota should replace it for free as others in the group believe. The unit should last the life of the vehicle.

          I wonder what Toyota consider "life of the vehicle"; 8 years, 150,000 miles; 10 years, 200,000 miles; other?

          Michael J

          Sent from my iPhone
        • Jim Saklad
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 10, 2012
            > Yes, I had problems with the Multi Function Display System on the 2004 Prius I owned. The screen malfunctioned around January, 2005, about 16 months after I took possession of the vehicle. Toyota replaced the unit with a refurbished unit for in-between $400 to $600. I paid, but really Toyota should replace it for free as others in the group believe. The unit should last the life of the vehicle.
            >
            > I wonder what Toyota consider "life of the vehicle"; 8 years, 150,000 miles; 10 years, 200,000 miles; other?

            Other.
            Why would you expect it to be warranted for longer than the basic new car warranty period?

            Jim Saklad mailto:jimdoc@...
          • Michael Jozwiak
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 11, 2012
              Going back into the archives, the Multi Function Display System on my 2004 Prius malfunctioned around January, 2007 with a guesstimate 45,000 miles on the vehicle at the time. Toyota replaced the unit with a refurbished unit for around $600.00 at that time. The opinion of some members at that was that unit was expected to last the life of the vehicle and that an owner shouldn't expect to repair the unit every 2 and half years.

              The topic, "Multi Display System", was entered in the group search engine.

              Michael J.

              Sent from my iPhone