Re: Software Changes

  • Richard Scheffenegger
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2001
      Hi Troy!

      Why would someone want to do that?

      110 miles per hour / 170 kilometers per hour are far more than what is
      allowed anywhere except for germany and probably the arab states...

      With increasing the rpms you would only increase maximum power available
      from the ICE...

      However, the maximum torque of 111 Nm (please convert it yourself into your
      favorite non-SI units) of the ICE would stay the same (that is already peak
      at 4200 rpm).

      The torque theoretically available from the electric motor alone, 350 Nm,
      could blast away any sports car on acceleration from 0 to 30 mph/50 kph.
      Especially since it's available from 0 to 900 rpms of the electric motor
      (the characteristic of an electric motor is that it has peak torque at 0
      rpms, when it essentially creates an electric short).

      We have discussed this some time ago in Technical stuff...

      We concluded, that the chain, gear wheels, differential and tires aren't
      designed to withstand such a torque! Also, be aware, that you can also add
      both torques of both engines together, which makes astonishing 461 Nm at 0
      rpm (of the tires).

      So, before you start tweaking the software to remove the torque control, you
      have to first rebuild the reduction gear set and differential, so that you
      don't blast them into pieces!

      However, a modified prius would stress the batteries more, so that they
      would have to be replaced sooner...

      But in effect, you wouldn't have to change too much; the THS is capable of
      delivering you that kind of power for short bursts already!

      Richard

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2001
        --- In toyota-prius@y..., "Richard Scheffenegger" <rscheff@c...>
        wrote:
        > Hi Troy!
        >
        > Why would someone want to do that?

        Eliminating the 4500 rpm limit gives you more horsepower (engine spins
        faster) and therefore faster acceleration at high speeds.

        Troy