Re: [toyota-prius] lower Volt-age

  • Paul Lawler
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 6, 2012
      On Sep 6, 2012, at 04:15 , David Kelly <dkelly@...> wrote:

      > On Sep 6, 2012, at 1:23 AM, Paul Lawler wrote:
      >
      >> On Sep 5, 2012, at 02:24 , Adrian Jones <adrianjones747@...> wrote:
      >>
      >>> It is priced $10k above the Prius and is a first year model (teething problems).
      >>
      >> What you say, Willis? The Volt is $31,465. The Plug-in Prius (with a MUCH shorter all-electric range) is $32,000. The Prius comes with a $2,500 tax break, but the Volt get's a $7,500 tax break. So a Volt is priced $5,500 less than a comparable Prius.
      >
      > Did you learn accounting from the Nancy Pelosi School of Government Finance? Just as she double-counted $700B taken from Medicare you have doubled the Federal Volt Subsidy: http://www.chevrolet.com/volt-electric-car.html

      I got my information from Consumer Reports. Although I did get the Volt price wrong. It is $39,000. However, the tricked out Prius Plug-in also comes out to $38,700, so again they are on par.
    • shbouchey
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 6, 2012
        And a fully tricked out Volt is $45,955 per Chevy site.
        Stuart

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 6, 2012
          On Sep 6, 2012, at 11:51 AM, Paul Lawler wrote:

          > On Sep 6, 2012, at 04:15 , David Kelly <dkelly@...> wrote:

          >>> What you say, Willis? The Volt is $31,465. The Plug-in Prius (with a MUCH shorter all-electric range) is $32,000. The Prius comes with a $2,500 tax break, but the Volt get's a $7,500 tax break. So a Volt is priced $5,500 less than a comparable Prius.
          >>
          >> Did you learn accounting from the Nancy Pelosi School of Government Finance? Just as she double-counted $700B taken from Medicare you have doubled the Federal Volt Subsidy: http://www.chevrolet.com/volt-electric-car.html
          >
          > I got my information from Consumer Reports. Although I did get the Volt price wrong. It is $39,000. However, the tricked out Prius Plug-in also comes out to $38,700, so again they are on par.

          Consumer Reports didn't double the Federal Subsidy. You didn't do your homework.

          Its such an assumed thing now that manufacturers are building it into the "MSRP". Another example of what I've been saying that such subsidies do not go to the consumer but to the vendor who marks prices up to capture it for themselves.

          And the vehicle in question was not the loaded plug-in Prius but the stripped baseline model which whips the Volt in both purchase price and cost of operation.

          And based on GM's track record any Prius will whip any GM product on the cost of "unscheduled maintenance" no matter Prius parts cost more than comparable GM parts.

          Am afraid to offer my 6 year old Prius with 55,000 miles to the Nissan dealer on an even swap for a Leaf. Afraid they might accept my offer. Recently offered my 2008 F-250 to the Ford dealer for a 2009 Mercedes-Benz ML320 Bluetec. They countered with a very reasonable offer so I traded F-250 and a few dollars, and have something that would be more practical in town yet is still rated to tow my trailers. And not impractical to drive long distances (got 29.0 MPG the first 1000 miles at 70 MPH where the Prius gets 45 MPG). So it opens the door to the prospect of a EV for city use.

        • Don Bergman
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 6, 2012
            Wow, $.030 kWh ouch. Where is that rate?

            In Holland Michigan where we refused to sell our municipal power plant to
            the big boys so they could shut it down and charge us more we pay $0.091 per
            kWh. My friend with a Volt pays about $1.00 for a full charge that gets him
            45-48 miles in the summer. I pay about $3.80 (one gallon) to go 45-48
            miles. My previous car (avg 22 mpg) would have cost me about $9.00 to go
            that distance. Every 45 milieus I go my Prius saves me @$5.00.

            Don Bergman
            Holland, MI
            Silver Vixen 2006 128,000 miles.

            > In many parts of the country electricity costs nearly as much as gasoline
            > per mile. Some of you pay $0.30/kWh?

            In the last 10 months I have paid Baltimore Gas and Electric an average of
            14.2¢ per kilowatt-hour they deliver.

            But overall, my electricity use has cost me about 7¢ per kilowatt-hour, when
            I put my photovoltaic production into the mix.
          • Paul Lawler
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 6, 2012
              On Sep 6, 2012, at 13:05 , David Kelly <dkelly@...> wrote:

              > On Sep 6, 2012, at 11:51 AM, Paul Lawler wrote:
              >
              >> I got my information from Consumer Reports. Although I did get the Volt price wrong. It is $39,000. However, the tricked out Prius Plug-in also comes out to $38,700, so again they are on par.
              >
              > Consumer Reports didn't double the Federal Subsidy. You didn't do your homework.

              Give me a break, David. I just corrected the list price. The federal subsidy is still $7,500.