  • Steve Specht
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2012
      Does anyone know how to activate the touchscreen diagnostic menu? I'd like
      to turn off the 'service needed' warning, without having to drive the 20
      miles to the Toyota service place.

      --
      Stephen F. Specht
      2403 Boteler Rd.

    • Paul Demmitt
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2012
        The reminder is pretty handy, actually. I don't know if it can be turned
        off from the diagnostic screen, but after maintenance (oil and filter
        change), you can turn the warning off yourself. Make sure the car has the
        Odometer reading on the display (not trip one or two). Press and hold the
        ODO button while simultaneously pressing the Start button. You should have
        the mileage display show all zeros (or dashes, can't remember which); they
        will decrase and resume the normal mileage display. Continue to hold the
        ODO button until this completes.

        It's also in the manual, but I don't have that in front of me. This is all
        from memory, as I've changed my oil and filter since I had to pay the
        dealer for them. I have 135,000 miles on my '04.

        Paul

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 1, 2012
          On Sep 1, 2012, at 11:13 AM, Steve Specht <sfspecht@...> wrote:

          > Does anyone know how to activate the touchscreen diagnostic menu? I'd like
          > to turn off the 'service needed' warning, without having to drive the 20
          > miles to the Toyota service place.

          You said nothing about what model you have. For my 2007 NHW20 the instructions for resetting the service indicator are plainly stated in the owner's manual under oil change. Perhaps it is the same for yours?

          The reset procedure is very complex, it involves pressing the trip/odo button. From memory it is approximately: Display in odometer mode, not trip. Turn the car off. Hold the trip/odo button until the odometer display goes all ------ or 000000 or something, it does a countdown one digit at a time, I forget just what character is displayed but it doesn't start for 5 seconds. Release button and its all done for another 5,000 miles.