The oil over fill again

  • Don Bergman
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 2, 2012
      it happened, the one time I forget to have them show me the dipstick after
      an oil change they over fill it 1/4."

      any idea how long one might drive before things get gumed up?
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 2, 2012
        On Jul 2, 2012, at 6:41 AM, Don Bergman wrote:

        > it happened, the one time I forget to have them show me the dipstick after
        > an oil change they over fill it 1/4."
        >
        > any idea how long one might drive before things get gumed up?

        I saw pictures of a Toyota engine that had not had oil changed for 70,000 miles that looked pretty gummed up.

        If you feel you must lower the oil level then I suggest removing the oil filter. Dump the contents and reinstall. Start the engine. Check oil level. Repeat as necessary. I don't think you'll have to do it more than twice. And might screw it on just tight enough to refill between samples.

      • Jerry Gmail
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 2, 2012
          Since you do not change the oil yourself if this bothers you another change
          is only 20 dollars.

          I guess before I did anything, I would like to know how much oil it takes to
          get it 1/4" high.

          Google Jer
          Woodhaven, Mi

          On Jul 2, 2012, at 6:41 AM, Don Bergman wrote:

          > it happened, the one time I forget to have them show me the dipstick
          > after an oil change they over fill it 1/4."
          >
          > any idea how long one might drive before things get gumed up?

          I saw pictures of a Toyota engine that had not had oil changed for 70,000
          miles that looked pretty gummed up.

          If you feel you must lower the oil level then I suggest removing the oil
          filter. Dump the contents and reinstall. Start the engine. Check oil level.
          Repeat as necessary. I don't think you'll have to do it more than twice. And
          might screw it on just tight enough to refill between samples.

          -----
          No virus found in this message.
        • P B
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 2, 2012
            Hi Don!
            If Toyota did the oil change, I would go back to them. They should re-do it at no cost to you. At least my dealer did...

            If it was done elsewhere, i would also go back and diplomatically explain the Prius overfill problem. They should also re-do the oil change.

            I don't believe any car should have too much oil.

            I also do not have an answer about the time it takes for damage, but I am also curious.

            PBro Bradenton FL

            Sent from my iPad

            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 2, 2012
              On Jul 2, 2012, at 10:05 AM, Jerry Gmail wrote:

              > I guess before I did anything, I would like to know how much oil it takes to
              > get it 1/4" high.

              Much less at the top than the bottom. My guess is two fills of the oil filter will get him down. Guessing he will only get 4 oz per oil filter.

              Else insert a pipe/hose down the dipstick and siphon oil out.

              Some vehicles advocate sucking oil out the dipstick for regular changes. Mercedes apparently carries the tube all the way to the bottom of the crankcase with a modest opening so one can affix a hose to the top of this dipstick tube and siphon from there. All because the regular crankcase drain is hard to reach behind a pretty protective panel under the car.

              Removing the crankcase drain on a hot engine and replacing it after draining 8 oz is painful and messy. Do it cold and its only messy.

            • James Klausen
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 3, 2012
                I had that happen to me years ago with my 2001 Prius. I called the dealer who had me back to fix it. Stupid me, I didn't check before leaving after the "fix.". At home I checked and found it still over the mark. The dealer response was, "that it didn't matter." I pumped out the extra oil through the dipstick tube and changed my own oil and filter for all the years I had the car. I now check the oil level before I leave the dealer with my 2011 Prius.
              • Don Bergman
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 4, 2012
                  Oil over fill reprise...

                  Thanks for all the comments on my oil over fill. I took it back and they
                  took some out. Promised a free oil change for my trouble. I will
                  certainly remember to have them show me the dip stick always in the future.
                  Every time I asked them they acted like "How dare you insult us by asking
                  to see it, don't you think that we know how to change the oil." "Trust but
                  verify." The young person who took the oil out (looked like a new guy not a
                  stain on his new jump suit.) looked at me dumb founded when I said you must
                  keep it below the mark. He said he never heard of it. I kindly suggested
                  he do some research on it.

                  My MPG has still tanked at 43mpg. In the summer I never get less than 50
                  even driving around town. They also changed the spark plugs (125,000 mile)
                  and replaced a leaking water pump at the same time of the oil change over
                  fill. Could either of these impact MPG? Their service manager said no. We
                  have been having a 2 week heat wave 93-98 degrees predictions are for 100 on
                  Friday. First time since 1988. AC blasting full bore. I have always run
                  the AC in the past during the summer and still got 50 mpg. But could these
                  higher than average temps be the reason for the drop in MPG. You Arizona
                  folks, how does 95 or higher degree temps impact your MPG. compared to 80
                  degrees.

                  And on Saturday an odd thing happened, 45 minutes into a longer (slightly
                  cooler evening temps) trip the bars all of a sudden went over the 50 mpg
                  line and stayed there for 10 bars what I usually get (50 minutes then we
                  were home), but the average for that tank was still only 46 mpg. I thought
                  maybe I just broke in the new plugs. But sadly have not have a 5 minute bar
                  go over 50mpg since for in town or on 65 mph expressway driving. So I am
                  beginning to think the 90+ temps have something to do with it.

                  Don Bergman
                  Holland, MI
                • Larry Finch
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 4, 2012
                    On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 11:35 AM, Don Bergman <DBRenegade@...> wrote:
                    > Oil over fill reprise...
                    >
                    > Thanks for all the comments on my oil over fill. I took it back and they
                    > took some out. Promised a free oil change for my trouble. I will
                    > certainly remember to have them show me the dip stick always in the future.
                    > Every time I asked them they acted like "How dare you insult us by asking
                    > to see it, don't you think that we know how to change the oil." "Trust but
                    > verify." The young person who took the oil out (looked like a new guy not a
                    > stain on his new jump suit.) looked at me dumb founded when I said you must
                    > keep it below the mark. He said he never heard of it. I kindly suggested
                    > he do some research on it.

                    There is a TSB from Toyota warning not to overfill and not to use
                    10W40 oil. I think you can find a copy in the files section of the
                    group site.

                    > My MPG has still tanked at 43mpg. In the summer I never get less than 50
                    > even driving around town. They also changed the spark plugs (125,000 mile)
                    > and replaced a leaking water pump at the same time of the oil change over
                    > fill. Could either of these impact MPG? Their service manager said no. We
                    > have been having a 2 week heat wave 93-98 degrees predictions are for 100 on
                    > Friday. First time since 1988. AC blasting full bore. I have always run
                    > the AC in the past during the summer and still got 50 mpg. But could these
                    > higher than average temps be the reason for the drop in MPG. You Arizona
                    > folks, how does 95 or higher degree temps impact your MPG. compared to 80
                    > degrees.

                    The AC takes a lot of power, especially in the pre-2004 models.
                    Estimates as high as a 22% hit on fuel economy in hot weather.

                    > And on Saturday an odd thing happened, 45 minutes into a longer (slightly
                    > cooler evening temps) trip the bars all of a sudden went over the 50 mpg
                    > line and stayed there for 10 bars what I usually get (50 minutes then we
                    > were home), but the average for that tank was still only 46 mpg. I thought
                    > maybe I just broke in the new plugs. But sadly have not have a 5 minute bar
                    > go over 50mpg since for in town or on 65 mph expressway driving. So I am
                    > beginning to think the 90+ temps have something to do with it.

                    Most likely the AC. Spark plugs should not affect fuel economy. A
                    dirty intake manifold can reduce fuel economy, however. And an oil
                    overfill can cause oil accumulation in the intake manifold.

                    best,
                    Larry
                    --
                    Larry Finch

                    N 40° 53' 47"
                    W 74° 03' 56"
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 4, 2012
                      On Jul 4, 2012, at 10:45 AM, Larry Finch wrote:

                      >> And on Saturday an odd thing happened, 45 minutes into a longer (slightly
                      >> cooler evening temps) trip the bars all of a sudden went over the 50 mpg
                      >> line and stayed there for 10 bars what I usually get (50 minutes then we
                      >> were home), but the average for that tank was still only 46 mpg. I thought
                      >> maybe I just broke in the new plugs. But sadly have not have a 5 minute bar
                      >> go over 50mpg since for in town or on 65 mph expressway driving. So I am
                      >> beginning to think the 90+ temps have something to do with it.
                      >
                      > Most likely the AC. Spark plugs should not affect fuel economy. A
                      > dirty intake manifold can reduce fuel economy, however. And an oil
                      > overfill can cause oil accumulation in the intake manifold.

                      Some vehicles are very sensitive to the exact OE spark plug. A 1991 Cadillac V8 is a particular example that used a special plug made for just that engine just that year. When the correct plug would get 28 MPG on the highway the "official cross reference" would only get 22. This problem bit my father who dutifully let the dealer change the plugs at 30,000 per the service schedule and then suffered 10,000 miles back and forth to the dealer until someone at church mentioned the same problem was solved with the OE plugs. Special ordered the right plug for an outrageous (at the time) $8 each and prior MPG was restored. Never again did he allow those plugs to be replaced and 50,000 miles later when the car was traded it was still producing similar MPG as when the plugs were new.

                      The O.P. doesn't say what Prius he has, but if suspicious about MPG I would check that absolutely the same make and model plug was used as came out. Never mind no one has reported that a Prius is sensitive to its plugs. But if for some reason they put Champion or AC Delco plugs (no matter those are generally very good plugs) in your Prius I would be very suspicious. Also doesn't say why the plugs were changed?

                      As for 43 vs 50+, thats not too far out of norm especially if one is using the A/C more. Also remember you do not have that good of control over your source of gasoline. No matter you use the same gas station every time they may change their sources and/or fuel specs. There is much more to gasoline than 87, 89, 91, 93 octane and E10. In general for local fuel I find Kangaroo produces poorer MPG (didn't used to) but Chevron, Sam's Club, and Krogers are as good as any I can find.

                      My usual 54 MPG commute is showing 48 at the moment, similar drop as the O.P.'s. I've seen 111°F on the MFD, always over 100° in the afternoons this past week or so. Was 105°F about an hour ago when I checked my outdoor thermometer.

                    • Don Bergman
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 4, 2012
                        Again thanks for all the comments. Looks like I'll just drive it for a
                        while, wait till the thermometer hits 80 and then worry if the good times do
                        not return. .
                        And I forgot to mention 2006 Silver fox 125,000 miles.

                        Don Bergman
                        Holland, MI
                      • raddefense
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 6, 2012
                          --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, Larry Finch <finches@...> wrote:

                          > On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 11:35 AM, Don Bergman <DBRenegade@...> wrote:
                          > > Oil over fill reprise...
                          > >
                          > > Thanks for all the comments on my oil over fill. I took it back and they
                          > > took some out. Promised a free oil change for my trouble. I will
                          > > certainly remember to have them show me the dip stick always in the future.
                          > > Every time I asked them they acted like "How dare you insult us by asking
                          > > to see it, don't you think that we know how to change the oil." "Trust but
                          > > verify." The young person who took the oil out (looked like a new guy not a
                          > > stain on his new jump suit.) looked at me dumb founded when I said you must
                          > > keep it below the mark. He said he never heard of it. I kindly suggested
                          > > he do some research on it.
                          > >

                          > There is a TSB from Toyota warning not to overfill and not to use
                          > 10W40 oil. I think you can find a copy in the files section of the
                          > group site.
                          >
                          > > My MPG has still tanked at 43mpg. In the summer I never get less than 50
                          > > even driving around town. They also changed the spark plugs (125,000 mile)
                          > > and replaced a leaking water pump at the same time of the oil change over
                          > > fill. Could either of these impact MPG? Their service manager said no. We
                          > > have been having a 2 week heat wave 93-98 degrees predictions are for 100 on
                          > > Friday. First time since 1988. AC blasting full bore. I have always run
                          > > the AC in the past during the summer and still got 50 mpg. But could these
                          > > higher than average temps be the reason for the drop in MPG. You Arizona
                          > > folks, how does 95 or higher degree temps impact your MPG. compared to 80
                          > > degrees.
                          > >

                          > The AC takes a lot of power, especially in the pre-2004 models.
                          > Estimates as high as a 22% hit on fuel economy in hot weather.
                          >
                          > > And on Saturday an odd thing happened, 45 minutes into a longer (slightly
                          > > cooler evening temps) trip the bars all of a sudden went over the 50 mpg
                          > > line and stayed there for 10 bars what I usually get (50 minutes then we
                          > > were home), but the average for that tank was still only 46 mpg. I thought
                          > > maybe I just broke in the new plugs. But sadly have not have a 5 minute bar
                          > > go over 50mpg since for in town or on 65 mph expressway driving. So I am
                          > > beginning to think the 90+ temps have something to do with it.
                          >
                          > Most likely the AC. Spark plugs should not affect fuel economy. A
                          > dirty intake manifold can reduce fuel economy, however. And an oil
                          > overfill can cause oil accumulation in the intake manifold.

                          This may be why I'm only getting about 40MPG since I got the car about 2 months ago. Also running rough. Dirty intake would explain that. Now, how do I clean the intake?

                          > best,
                          > Larry
                          > --
                          > Larry Finch
                          >
                          > N 40° 53' 47"
                          > W 74° 03' 56"

                        • Larry Finch
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 7, 2012
                            On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 2:35 PM, raddefense <sharingguy@...> wrote:
                            >> Most likely the AC. Spark plugs should not affect fuel economy. A
                            >> dirty intake manifold can reduce fuel economy, however. And an oil
                            >> overfill can cause oil accumulation in the intake manifold.
                            >>

                            > This may be why I'm only getting about 40MPG since I got the car about 2 months ago. Also running rough. Dirty intake would explain that. Now, how do I clean the intake?

                            Remove the air filter, hold the throttle plate open, and look in with
                            a flashlight. If there is a puddle of oil absorb it with a lint-free
                            cotton cloth. Look at the throttle plate; if it has carbon buildup
                            clean it with carburetor cleaner. Then put a bottle of Techron in the
                            next tank of gas to clean the fuel injectors.

                            best,
                            Larry

                            --
                            Larry Finch