Too much oil...

  • P B
    Message 1 of 24 , May 15, 2012
      Hello everyone,

      So why does it hurt the Prius's performance if the oil level is too high?

      Also, how long (miles) before the spark plugs should be looked at? Big job?

      PBro
      2007 silver

      Sent from my iPad
    • John W

        Message 3 of 24 , May 16, 2012
          Thanks for the answers to all those who responded.

          One more question:

          Is this damage permanent?

          Thanks, PBro

          Sent from my iPad

          On May 16, 2012, at 5:54 AM, Jerry Jorgenson <jerry@...> wrote:

          > On May 15, 2012, at 22:18 , P B wrote:
          >
          >> So why does it hurt the Prius's performance if the oil level is too high?
          >
          > In the worst case the piston rods cause the oil to foam, entraining air into the oil and reducing lubrication. The usual problem with just a small overfill is that because of the Atkinson cycle, oil gets forced into the exhaust and intake minifold ruining some of the pollution control equipment and causing the throttle body to become contaminated (MAS and O2 sensors along with the catalytic converter). As far as mpg reduction goes, the most I've ever heard anyone say is one mpg which is within the margin of error of the instruments. For the typical 3mm overfill, I'm not convinced there is an mpg hit, however, the pollution control damage is real.
          >

          >> Also, how long (miles) before the spark plugs should be looked at? Big job?
          >
          > 120,000 miles. It's not a big job but it's tricky because the igniters are easily damaged and if the spark plugs haven't been loosened in all that time it's possible to strip the threads from the head.
          >
          > Jerry
          >
          > --
          > Jerry Jorgenson
          > jerry@...
          > http://www.j3iss.com/

        • Levi Smith
          Message 4 of 24 , May 16, 2012
            Haven't done it myself, but IIRC, there was talk of some sort of grease
            that could withstand the environment that could help the situation at least
            for a time, but I think in general most have needed a new cat sooner or
            later...

            On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 1:17 AM, John W <ipilot66@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > I'm not sure why, but I did what was suggested---I had them put in 31/2
            > quarts just today. Course right after having the oil and filter changed---I
            > get a P 1436 code and the thing shuts down.
            > Anybody hear of the 'P1436' code?? It says the HCAC valve is stuck open.
            > Supposed to not be uncommon in salt-roads climate. Is it replaceable
            > without changing the entire catalic converter?? Is it a Toyota only part??

          • hlschmidt1941
            Message 5 of 24 , May 17, 2012
              > So why does it hurt the Prius's performance if the oil level is too high?

              Conversely put, how little oil is needed to "fill" the Prius? As we're all aware, the Toyota manual specifies 4 qts. (3.9 l.) for the Classic. But we know that 3.5 qts. will do nicely. For my last oil change (I perform my own), I tried 3 qts. Perfect. Saves time, money, and resources. (All changes assume new filter.) YRMV!
              Message 6 of 24 , May 17, 2012
                On May 17, 2012, at 2:37 PM, hlschmidt1941 wrote:

                >> So why does it hurt the Prius's performance if the oil level is too high?
                >
                > Conversely put, how little oil is needed to "fill" the Prius? As we're all aware, the Toyota manual specifies 4 qts. (3.9 l.) for the Classic. But we know that 3.5 qts. will do nicely. For my last oil change (I perform my own), I tried 3 qts. Perfect. Saves time, money, and resources. (All changes assume new filter.) YRMV!

                4 quarts is a dry fill. You need to know this number when you disassemble and rebuild your engine. Then again perhaps all of 3 Prius engines have ever been disassembled outside of the factory test facility. :-)

                On my 2007 3 quarts is over the ADD line with new filter, but 3 liters is about midway from ADD to FULL. I kept (3) 1 liter big mouth motorcycle oil bottles laying around for just that application. Buy Mobil-1 from Walmart in 5 quart bottles as the right balance of cost vs quality.

                In years past my 2000 Avalon held exactly one full 5 quart bottle, but only if I drained the engine cold. If hot (per the manual) the 5 quarts was at least 1/8" over the FULL line. Drained cold it was just about the same BELOW the FULL line.

                Wrapping things up note that if a new dry engine holds 4 quarts but a drain and refill only takes 3 to 3.5 quarts then there is 0.5 to 1.0 quarts of old oil still in the engine. Many like to fool themselves into believing they are draining every little drop of the old oil out, and claim hot drains do this best. I say you are going to leave a lot in there no matter what, and that I find it takes more to reach the same level if drained cold.

                YMMV.

              • John W
                Message 7 of 24 , May 17, 2012
                  I did look it up in my manual (2001) and it states 3.7 qt. Close enough for me. I do buy my oil at Wallmart----but they also change it!! I will not even attempt to do that work anymore!!! Cost is small--especially on the Prius. And yes, I use Mobile 1----the same oil I use in my Corvette. Mobile 5000 goes into my three Buicks---but again, Wallmart does my oil changes.
                  The impurities I was speaking of was moisture--from short drives and never getting engine warm enough for a long enough period to cause it to evaporate.
                  Truthfully, it is strange that after all these years, I now have to watch the oil level to within .3 of a quart. This is all new to me so I have a lot to learn.---j

                  On May 17, 2012, at 2:37 PM, hlschmidt1941 wrote:

                  >> So why does it hurt the Prius's performance if the oil level is too high?
                  >
                  > Conversely put, how little oil is needed to "fill" the Prius? As we're all aware, the Toyota manual specifies 4 qts. (3.9 l.) for the Classic. But we know that 3.5 qts. will do nicely. For my last oil change (I perform my own), I tried 3 qts. Perfect. Saves time, money, and resources. (All changes assume new filter.) YRMV!

                  4 quarts is a dry fill. You need to know this number when you disassemble and rebuild your engine. Then again perhaps all of 3 Prius engines have ever been disassembled outside of the factory test facility. :-)

                  On my 2007 3 quarts is over the ADD line with new filter, but 3 liters is about midway from ADD to FULL. I kept (3) 1 liter big mouth motorcycle oil bottles laying around for just that application. Buy Mobil-1 from Walmart in 5 quart bottles as the right balance of cost vs quality.

                  In years past my 2000 Avalon held exactly one full 5 quart bottle, but only if I drained the engine cold. If hot (per the manual) the 5 quarts was at least 1/8" over the FULL line. Drained cold it was just about the same BELOW the FULL line.

                  Wrapping things up note that if a new dry engine holds 4 quarts but a drain and refill only takes 3 to 3.5 quarts then there is 0.5 to 1.0 quarts of old oil still in the engine. Many like to fool themselves into believing they are draining every little drop of the old oil out, and claim hot drains do this best. I say you are going to leave a lot in there no matter what, and that I find it takes more to reach the same level if drained cold.

                  YMMV.

                • Jerry Gmail
                  Message 8 of 24 , May 17, 2012
                    Is a 2007 engine different than a 2006?

                    When I drain the red hot oil on my 2006 and install a new filter 3 new
                    quarts of oil will put the level right between the add and full.
                    You are putting in less fresh oil. This suggests either that the 07 has a
                    smaller oil capacity or that you are leaving more "old" oil in the engine.

                    Google Jer
                    Woodhaven, Mi

                    On May 17, 2012, at 2:37 PM, hlschmidt1941 wrote:

                    >> So why does it hurt the Prius's performance if the oil level is too high?
                    >
                    > Conversely put, how little oil is needed to "fill" the Prius? As we're all
                    aware, the Toyota manual specifies 4 qts. (3.9 l.) for the Classic. But we
                    know that 3.5 qts. will do nicely. For my last oil change (I perform my
                    own), I tried 3 qts. Perfect. Saves time, money, and resources. (All changes
                    assume new filter.) YRMV!

                    4 quarts is a dry fill. You need to know this number when you disassemble
                    and rebuild your engine. Then again perhaps all of 3 Prius engines have ever
                    been disassembled outside of the factory test facility. :-)

                    On my 2007 3 quarts is over the ADD line with new filter, but 3 liters is
                    about midway from ADD to FULL. I kept (3) 1 liter big mouth motorcycle oil
                    bottles laying around for just that application. Buy Mobil-1 from Walmart in
                    5 quart bottles as the right balance of cost vs quality.

                    In years past my 2000 Avalon held exactly one full 5 quart bottle, but only
                    if I drained the engine cold. If hot (per the manual) the 5 quarts was at
                    least 1/8" over the FULL line. Drained cold it was just about the same BELOW
                    the FULL line.

                    Wrapping things up note that if a new dry engine holds 4 quarts but a drain
                    and refill only takes 3 to 3.5 quarts then there is 0.5 to 1.0 quarts of old
                    oil still in the engine. Many like to fool themselves into believing they
                    are draining every little drop of the old oil out, and claim hot drains do
                    this best. I say you are going to leave a lot in there no matter what, and
                    that I find it takes more to reach the same level if drained cold.

                    YMMV.

                    -----
                    No virus found in this message.
                  • Paul Lawler
                    Message 9 of 24 , May 17, 2012
                      On May 17, 2012, at 15:07 , Jerry Gmail wrote:

                      > Is a 2007 engine different than a 2006?
                      >
                      > When I drain the red hot oil on my 2006 and install a new filter 3 new
                      > quarts of oil will put the level right between the add and full.

                      To paraphrase David… if you are draining red hot oil, you have bigger problems. ;-)
                      Message 10 of 24 , May 17, 2012
                        On May 17, 2012, at 8:07 PM, Jerry Gmail wrote:

                        > Is a 2007 engine different than a 2006?
                        >
                        > When I drain the red hot oil on my 2006 and install a new filter 3 new
                        > quarts of oil will put the level right between the add and full.
                        > You are putting in less fresh oil. This suggests either that the 07 has a
                        > smaller oil capacity or that you are leaving more "old" oil in the engine.

                        3 liters is more than 3 quarts. I'm putting more in.

                        3 quarts puts us both half way when drained hot. Thats why I don't do it hot any more.

                        Drained cold 3 quarts of new oil only puts me just over ADD. 3 liters puts me half way. I'm putting more oil in than you because I got more out draining cold. Yet I'm not too worried about the 0.8 quarts or so of old oil remaining.

                        The big point is that I'm getting more out cold so its not worth the effort to burn my fingers or spill hot oil when removing the full oil filter just because the fool manual says to. What are manufacturers going to do? Tell car dealers they have to let cars sit for 4 hours before draining the oil? Of course they say to drain it hot, time is money. Time is *their* money, therefore hot drains are Good Enough™.

                        On a cold engine about half the oil from the oil filter gets sucked out somehow. Is nice because then the filter comes off without making a mess.

                        Prius turned over 49,800 today. Next drain in 200 miles.

                      • John W
                        Message 11 of 24 , May 17, 2012
                          Are you staying on a 5000 mile schedule per change??

                          Message 12 of 24 , May 18, 2012
                            You are correct. I thought I read that three quarts put you over the full
                            line not the add line. That explains a lot.
                            Sorry I misread the message. I suppose that I could claim to drain both
                            cold and hot since I drive the car right from the freeway, pull the plug and
                            let the car set overnight. That is why I do it myself. If you take it
                            someplace, they will not let it drain for more than 5 minutes before they
                            are putting the plug back in.

                            Google Jer
                            Woodhaven, Mi

                            On May 17, 2012, at 8:07 PM, Jerry Gmail wrote:

                            > Is a 2007 engine different than a 2006?
                            >
                            > When I drain the red hot oil on my 2006 and install a new filter 3 new
                            > quarts of oil will put the level right between the add and full.
                            > You are putting in less fresh oil. This suggests either that the 07
                            > has a smaller oil capacity or that you are leaving more "old" oil in the
                            engine.

                            3 liters is more than 3 quarts. I'm putting more in.

                            3 quarts puts us both half way when drained hot. Thats why I don't do it hot
                            any more.

                            Drained cold 3 quarts of new oil only puts me just over ADD. 3 liters puts
                            me half way. I'm putting more oil in than you because I got more out
                            draining cold. Yet I'm not too worried about the 0.8 quarts or so of old oil
                            remaining.

                            The big point is that I'm getting more out cold so its not worth the effort
                            to burn my fingers or spill hot oil when removing the full oil filter just
                            because the fool manual says to. What are manufacturers going to do? Tell
                            car dealers they have to let cars sit for 4 hours before draining the oil?
                            Of course they say to drain it hot, time is money. Time is *their* money,
                            therefore hot drains are Good EnoughT.

                            Message 13 of 24 , May 18, 2012
                              On May 18, 2012, at 5:40 AM, Jerry Gmail wrote:

                              > You are correct. I thought I read that three quarts put you over the full
                              > line not the add line. That explains a lot.
                              > Sorry I misread the message. I suppose that I could claim to drain both
                              > cold and hot since I drive the car right from the freeway, pull the plug and
                              > let the car set overnight. That is why I do it myself. If you take it
                              > someplace, they will not let it drain for more than 5 minutes before they
                              > are putting the plug back in.

                              Especially not if its a "30 minute express" as most all claim to be!

                              An overnight drain is too dangerous for me. A small risk of driving off in the morning without having completed the task. Much worse is making two tasks out of one. I agree an overnight drain should get at least as much oil out as my relatively quick cold drain. And if you wait until morning to remove the oil filter then it should come off relatively mess-free too. Take the oil filter off hot and it will spill.

                              But again the reason I change the oil cold is that its less messy and therefore easier. That I get at least as much old oil out as a hot drain is justification that I'm not doing any harm. And pointing out that if the engine holds 4.0 quarts when manufactured then no matter what there is 0.5 to 0.8 quarts remaining we can't get out.

                              Message 14 of 24 , May 18, 2012
                                On May 17, 2012, at 8:04 PM, John W wrote:

                                > Truthfully, it is strange that after all these years, I now have to watch the oil level to within .3 of a quart. This is all new to me so I have a lot to learn.---j

                                I haven't bothered to play with it in a while, not since I learned to measure 3 liters of oil and just dump it in the Prius without looking. But when my Prius was new I concluded there was about 1.5 quarts between ADD and FULL lines. That at the low end the level rose very slowly, about a quart from ADD to half, and less than a half quart for the last half. Which partially explains why it is so easy to over fill.

                                There is zero harm being done if you keep the oil between ADD and FULL. I don't understand your fear of having to maintain oil level within 0.3 quarts.

                                I know many who use Walmart for oil changes. As for myself, can change the oil quicker than I can drive 8 miles there and back. I hate to spend any time in the store (no matter I own a few shares of WMT) so I can't "kill 2 birds with one stone." If I have to spend much time in the store I wear foam ear plugs (purchased at Walmart). Their auto service waiting room is no luxury to look forward to either.

                              • Jerry Gmail
                                Message 15 of 24 , May 18, 2012
                                  If you leave the hood totally open, when you get up in the AM before you
                                  drive off you will at least wonder why the hood is up.

                                  Google Jer
                                  Woodhaven, Mi

                                  Message 16 of 24 , May 18, 2012
                                    On May 18, 2012, at 6:21 AM, Jerry Gmail wrote:

                                    > If you leave the hood totally open, when you get up in the AM before you
                                    > drive off you will at least wonder why the hood is up.
                                    >
                                    > Google Jer
                                    > Woodhaven, Mi

                                    Is that safe in Michigan? :-)

                                  • Jerry Gmail
                                    Message 17 of 24 , May 18, 2012
                                      Everybody here is taught to never drive a car with the hood up. If I was
                                      really concerned about driving away with no oil, I could hide the keys the
                                      night before.

                                      And as far as turning one job into two, I would consider an oil change one
                                      job if I only had to lay on my back once. That would mean that I drained
                                      the oil, waited for it to stop dripping, took off the filter, put on a new
                                      filter, put the plug back in without getting to my feet. I am not that
                                      coordinated. Once I pull the plug, I go back into the house and wait til
                                      morning. Then I get back under the car. Depending upon your definition, my
                                      oil changes may be several jobs.

                                      Google Jer
                                      Woodhaven, Mi

                                      On May 18, 2012, at 6:21 AM, Jerry Gmail wrote:

                                      > If you leave the hood totally open, when you get up in the AM before
                                      > you drive off you will at least wonder why the hood is up.
                                      >
                                      > Google Jer
                                      > Woodhaven, Mi

                                      Is that safe in Michigan? :-)

                                      -----
                                      No virus found in this message.
                                    • Dan
                                      Message 18 of 24 , May 18, 2012
                                        Paul is correct,
                                        More specifically

                                        Generally draining red hot oil  is bad....you are either draining your red dyed coolant or ATF3 fluid (which has no business in a Prius) or you had a core meltdown (see Santa Suzanna Field Laboratory)

                                        draining it from a caldron on enemy troops attacking your castle is good until you run low.

                                      • Mike Dobony
                                        Message 19 of 24 , May 25, 2012
                                          On 5/17/2012 8:04 PM, John W wrote:

                                          > I did look it up in my manual (2001) and it states 3.7 qt. Close
                                          > enough for me. I do buy my oil at Wallmart----but they also change
                                          > it!! I will not even attempt to do that work anymore!!! Cost is
                                          > small--especially on the Prius. And yes, I use Mobile 1----the same
                                          > oil I use in my Corvette. Mobile 5000 goes into my three Buicks---but
                                          > again, Wallmart does my oil changes.
                                          > The impurities I was speaking of was moisture--from short drives and
                                          > never getting engine warm enough for a long enough period to cause it
                                          > to evaporate.
                                          > Truthfully, it is strange that after all these years, I now have to
                                          > watch the oil level to within .3 of a quart. This is all new to me so
                                          > I have a lot to learn.---j

                                          Having others change my oil=(overfills+grossly overtightened
                                          filter+crossthreaded drain plug)/2

                                          Me doing my own oil change=properly snugged filter+proper fill
                                          levels+properly snugged drain plug

                                        • Michael Jozwiak
                                          Message 20 of 24 , May 26, 2012
                                            There is a Fumuto Valve

                                            Sent from my iPhone
                                          • Michael Jozwiak
                                            Message 21 of 24 , May 26, 2012
                                              There is a Fumuto Valve Warning on the North America Subaru Impreza group blog.

                                              Sent from my iPhone
                                            • Paul Lawler
                                              Message 22 of 24 , May 28, 2012
                                                On May 26, 2012, at 06:38 , Michael Jozwiak wrote:

                                                > There is a Fumuto Valve Warning on the North America Subaru Impreza group blog.

                                                Fortunately, I don't have a Subaru Impreza.
                                              • Michael Jozwiak
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Jun 1, 2012
                                                  Really. What is the correct, official spelling of Wal-Mart? I have seen it spelled Wal Mart, Walmart and WalMart.

                                                  Finally, me thinks John W. is kidding when he types out "Wall Mart".

                                                  Michael J. (No, not that Michael J.)

                                                  Sent from my iPhone
                                                • Felix
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Jun 2, 2012
                                                    --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, Michael Jozwiak <michael_jozwiak@...> wrote:

                                                    > Really. What is the correct, official spelling of Wal-Mart? I have seen it spelled Wal Mart, Walmart and WalMart.
                                                    >
                                                    > Finally, me thinks John W. is kidding when he types out "Wall Mart".
                                                    >
                                                    > Michael J. (No, not that Michael J.)

                                                    Apparently so, but a smiley would have been nice. Around here we sometimes call it Wally world, see 2 Ls again lol.

                                                    Just like DirecTV and DIRECTV are both OK, Direct TV is not :-)

                                                    Prius content: do a search for "pruis" and see how many of the ones who spell it that way are detractors/haters/FUD spreaders.