Re: [toyota-prius] Prius Plug-in

  • Stan
    Message 1 of 10 , May 4 10:09 AM
      Although the web site is not updated to reflect their new system, which they have just finished testing, www.pluginconversions.com
      in Poway, Calif has two different capacity options using Gold Peak lithium batteries. According to owner Kim Adelman, there is a 42 mile range system for about 15k and a 25-30 mile range system for about 13k. The heart of these systems is not the batteries but the elctronics that controls the power and charging. You can't deplete the LION batteries and you can't take 100% of their power either. PIC has just converted from using large scale NIMH which are less expensive but twice as large and twice as heavy. Give Kim a call for the details.

      Message 2 of 10 , May 4 11:52 AM
        The reason I asked is because sometimes when I start out, the battery's are half charged. I thought that a charging system would always insure that the batteries are fully charged and there would be less gas consumption the first several miles to charge the batteries.

        Jack in Illinois

        --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, Peter Blackford <priuspete@...> wrote:

        > This falls squarely into the category of "just because you CAN, doesn't
        > mean you SHOULD". Range, without changing (adding) batteries, will be
        > short. Cost will be meaningful. Payback will be measured in decades. And
        > if that's not enough, life of the traction batteries will be shorter since
        > they will no longer be kept within the optimal SOC range at all times.
        > Pete
        >
        > On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 9:41 AM, willcoele@... <

      • willcoele
        Message 3 of 10 , May 4 3:00 PM
          $13,500 !!! No way. Maybe $1,350 might be worth it.
          --

          Jack WA9FVP- http://www.willcoele.com/radio_repair

          From: willcoele@...
          To: toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com

        • willcoele@ameritech.net
          Message 4 of 10 , May 4 3:01 PM
            13K, no way! It's not worth it. Maybe $1,300 but that's a little steep.

            --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "Stan" <stanathomesell@...> wrote:

            > Although the web site is not updated to reflect their new system, which they have just finished testing, www.pluginconversions.com
            > in Poway, Calif has two different capacity options using Gold Peak lithium batteries. According to owner Kim Adelman, there is a 42 mile range system for about 15k and a 25-30 mile range system for about 13k. The heart of these systems is not the batteries but the elctronics that controls the power and charging. You can't deplete the LION batteries and you can't take 100% of their power either. PIC has just converted from using large scale NIMH which are less expensive but twice as large and twice as heavy. Give Kim a call for the details.
          • Michael Welch
            Message 5 of 10 , May 4 3:39 PM
              These folks have PHEV conversion kits for sale, and from what I have heard a pretty good reputation.

              http://www.enginer.us/products/conversion_kit.php

              > Are there after market kits where you can adapt your Prius to a plug-in type? As far as I can tell, it would require the electrical plug mounted somewhere on the side and a charging unit. Connections would have to be made to the HV battery and the charging unit would have enough brains to properly maintain the batteries.
              >
              > Jack WA9FVP
              > in Illinois
            • Stan
              Message 6 of 10 , May 4 4:21 PM
                Even with the Enginer kit, at 2k self-installed, payback is tricky. The Plug-In Prius will appeal to the Greenies or Tech Types that SoCal is full of with lots of disposable incomes. We have lots of govt employees like teachers that will go for the plug-in. Orange County will be a hot-bed for the Prius Plug-In because it's the only Prii allowed in the HOV lanes now. The traffic is so bad in LA that 40k is nothing to pay for that perk.

                From: willcoele@...
                To: toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com

              • John W
                Message 7 of 10 , May 4 4:44 PM
                  Strange!!! . . . I live in Orange County--just bought a used Prius "because I want one", not because of the terrible traffic (that I don't mind because I plan always to be going the other way) and know two teachers and one fireman that can't afford that expense for the small enjoyment, or small savings that would provide. Is there another Orange County, California???? In L.A.???? And where is all that disposable income?? Care to dispose of it to my Orange County address???
                  Looking forward to delivery of my 'new-old', broken Prius----watch out, the 'help' questions will be forthcoming!!`~~~~~~~~``````````````---j

                  From: willcoele@...
                  To: toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com

                • Walter Lee
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 5 10:16 AM
                    With regard to affordability/TCO of a Plug in Prius- one of the significant unknowable factors would be the resell value of a 2nd gen Prius that has been converted to a Plug-in. The another unknowable cost factor for the custom Enginer PiP subsystem would be its battery and electronics lifespan.

                    From: willcoele@...
                    To: toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com