Re: Re: [toyota-prius] Not too far.

    Message 1 of 37 , Mar 2, 2012
      On Mar 2, 2012, at 7:36 AM, Michael Jozwiak wrote:

      > Regarding costs versus safety: dang if you do and ding if you don't.

      If the costs are your decision then your decision is always correct.

      If the decisions were made for you then they are always wrong even if they were the same as you would have made for yourself.

    • ChrisZ
      Message 37 of 37 , Mar 4, 2012
        --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, David Kelly <dkelly@...> wrote:

        > On Mar 2, 2012, at 12:19 PM, ChrisZ wrote:
        >
        > > When we live in a national society of 300 million and a world society of 7 billion, **NO ONE** stands on their own two feet. Not even the staunchest Libertarian/hermit/anarchist stands on their own two feet.
        >
        > There is a big difference between accepting personal responsibility to stand on one's own two feet and expecting others to sweep the path before you so your tender bare feet don't step on a rock. All because you can't be bothered to wear shoes.
        >
        > […]
        >
        > > "There but for the grace of God go I." Ever heard that? For some, it's just easier to call people stupid and foolish than to deal practically with the realities of living together in a technological civilization with millions of other people, right?
        >
        > You are confusing forced protection against oneself with protection from others.
        >
        > There are those who back without looking and have never run over a child. Then there are those who make effort to know where one is backing. I'd say both are graced by God, but the latter is God's demonstrated preference. Don't forget God wrote the rules behind the truths in Darwin's Theory of Evolution.
        >
        > Can't have a School Of Hard Knocks without some Knocks. Some are trying to legislate Knocks out of existence. A school where one can not fail isn't going to have much learning. A child can not learn to ride a bicycle unless parents are willing to risk the knocks. Once one can ride a bicycle there are great advantages to be had over a tricycle or bicycle with training wheels. Just as walking on 2 feet is dangerous, one could fall! But it frees hands for other purposes and there are a lot of situations where 2 feet are much more agile than 4 (such as riding a bicycle).
        >
        > --
        > David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@...

        Overgeneralized, oversimplified, over-the-top analogies. Should be able to discuss things like a rear view camera for the Prius and all other cars in terms of real world pros and cons, costs and benefits, not over applied philosophy. Nuff said.

        --CZ