Prius 2005: where are spark plugs?

  • Eugene
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 8, 2012
      Has anyone know where the spark plugs located in Prius 2005? I am thinking to replace them at 120k myself

      Thanks!

    • Levi Smith
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 8, 2012
        Yep, there's 4 of them right on top under the coils and wires in the valve
        cover.

        Levi
        On Jan 8, 2012 7:16 PM, "Eugene" <eugenevos@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Has anyone know where the spark plugs located in Prius 2005? I am thinking
        > to replace them at 120k myself
        >
        > Thanks!

      • Eugene
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 8, 2012
          Thank you Levi. I've never reached that area, is it below the fuse box, should I remove it to access the plugs?

          Thanks,
          Eugene

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 9, 2012
            TOP of the ENGINE! (unless that was just an attempt at humor?)
            Really, if you've never done plugs before, this is probably not the engine
            to learn on....
            Pete

            On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 11:02 PM, Eugene <eugenevos@...> wrote:

            > **
            >
            > Thank you Levi. I've never reached that area, is it below the fuse box,
            > should I remove it to access the plugs?
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Eugene

          • Levi Smith
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 9, 2012
              Here's a pic of the engine:
              http://www.cleangreencar.co.nz/images/PriusGeneric/Technical_2.jpg

              See the very top? All the way to the left is the oil filler. The next 4
              black things to the right are the coils. Each one is sitting on top of a
              spark plug.

              A pic of the engine in the car:
              http://timothyhumphrey.name/images/prius/prius-engine.jpg

              The plugs are directly behind the black air cleaner box, however, there IS
              a fuse/relay box directly above the plugs that a lot of people unbolt to
              get better access to the plugs...

              Levi

              On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 5:16 AM, Peter Blackford <priuspete@...> wrote:

              > TOP of the ENGINE! (unless that was just an attempt at humor?)
              > Really, if you've never done plugs before, this is probably not the engine
              > to learn on....
              > Pete
              >

              > On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 11:02 PM, Eugene <eugenevos@...> wrote:
              >
              >> **
              >>
              >> Thank you Levi. I've never reached that area, is it below the fuse box,
              >> should I remove it to access the plugs?
              >>
              >> Thanks,
              >> Eugene

            • Mark Bayern
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 9, 2012
                >>" I've never reached that area, is it below the fuse box, should I remove
                it to access the plugs?

                Hold on, there! The fuse box that is on the right-hand side (driver's side
                in the US) of the engine compartment? Sounds like you are looking at the
                inverter, not the engine.

                The engine is the big thing to the left (as you stand in front of the car
                looking into the engine compartment). Find the oil fill location (towards
                the back of the engine compartment). Imagine putting some oil in without
                using a funnel and notice that your spills would end up in an area with
                four cables. The spark plugs are under those.

                Honestly, if you can't identify the parts under the hood yet, I wouldn't
                try to change those plugs.

                Your first steps should be checking, and possibly changing, your engine air
                filter and cabin air filter. No tools required for those.

                Mark

                On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 10:02 PM, Eugene <eugenevos@...> wrote:

                > **
                >

                > Thank you Levi. I've never reached that area, is it below the fuse box,
                > should I remove it to access the plugs?
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Eugene

              • Eugene
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 9, 2012
                  Thank you Mark.  I found on Internet description of spark plugs replacement, possibly for newer than 2005 Prius model, it states "below the fuse box"...  I do change oil and air filters myself.

                  ________________________________
                  I've never reached that area, is it below the fuse box, should I remove it to access the plugs?

                  Hold on, there! The fuse box that is on the right-hand side (driver's side in the US) of the engine compartment? Sounds like you are looking at the inverter, not the engine.

                  The engine is the big thing to the left (as you stand in front of the car looking into the engine compartment). Find the oil fill location (towards the back of the engine compartment). Imagine putting some oil in without using a funnel and notice that your spills would end up in an area with four cables. The spark plugs are under those.

                  Honestly, if you can't identify the parts under the hood yet, I wouldn't try to change those plugs.

                  Your first steps should be checking, and possibly changing, your engine air filter and cabin air filter. No tools required for those.

                  Mark

                  On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 10:02 PM, Eugene <eugenevos@...> wrote:

                  >Thank you Levi. I've never reached that area, is it below the fuse box, should I remove it to access the plugs?
                  >
                  >Thanks,
                  >Eugene

                • Eugene
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 9, 2012
                     It was stupid from my side... I found on Internet that the fuse box should be removed for plugs replacement, was confused... See them now clearly

                    ________________________________
                    TOP of the ENGINE! (unless that was just an attempt at humor?)
                    Really, if you've never done plugs before, this is probably not the engine to learn on....
                    Pete

                    On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 11:02 PM, Eugene <eugenevos@...> wrote:

                    >Thank you Levi. I've never reached that area, is it below the fuse box, should I remove it to access the plugs?
                    >
                    >Thanks,
                    >Eugene

                  • Mark Bayern
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 9, 2012
                      >>" it states "below the fuse box"...

                      Then it is wrong -- there is a relay box in the area, but not a fuse box.

                      If you've changed the oil filter, I must assume you put oil into the
                      engine. How you missed seeing the ignition wires confuses me.

                      Good luck.

                      Mark