Re: Driving in icy/snowy conditions

  • Daniel
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 6, 2011
      That is good Dave,

      How did you get the trailer out? Wait for it to dry out?
      --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, David Kelly <dkelly@...> wrote:

      > On Mon, Dec 05, 2011 at 10:35:33AM -0800, John Morgan wrote:
      > >
      > > I think there are two big reasons why. First, it is hugely important
      > > to have great snowtires. The best 4x4 is worthless without traction.
      >
      > You mean like this? :-)
      >
      > http://home.hiwaay.net/~dkelly/Stuck_01.jpg
      > http://home.hiwaay.net/~dkelly/Stuck_02.jpg
      > http://home.hiwaay.net/~dkelly/Stuck_03.jpg
      >
      > Highway tires with 65 PSI on soft turf. Got stuck in my own front yard.
      >
      > Mandatory Prius Content: note Prius (and Porsche 928S) in garage.
      >
      > --
      > David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@...
      > Whom computers would destroy, they must first drive mad.

    • jetlagjohn1
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 6, 2011
        Cat litter: It used to be great for traction, but the formulation must have changed. Every bag of cat litter in the supermarket says "not to be used for traction". And that's right - it turns to a mush when wet.

        If you're using cat litter with different results, what's the brand? Where you'd get it? And please double check to see if it has the traction warning.

        John

        --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel" <hyattdj@...> wrote:

        > I also keep old rug/carpet and small bag of cat litter in back...this way I can give tires traction to dig themselves out.

      • Levi Smith
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 6, 2011
          Sounds like maybe you've got stuff that's made to clump?

          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 6, 2011
            Old, cheap stuff made from clay is what used to work. Of course,
            haven't needed it for that purpose for some years now. Hope the new
            stuff will at least still absorb oil....

            Maybe, check the packaging on the stuff SOLD as OIL DRI at auto parts stores?

            Pete / Naples

            > On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 11:53 AM, jetlagjohn1 <jetlagjohn1@...> wrote:
            >
            >> Cat litter: It used to be great for traction, but the formulation must
            >> have changed. Every bag of cat litter in the supermarket says "not to be
            >> used for traction". And that's right - it turns to a mush when wet.

            <SNIP>
          • ChrisZ
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 6, 2011
              --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, John Morgan <john@...> wrote:
              [snip]

              > The only issue I have had is trying to go up a steep (15%) snow covered street. The traction control would not let that happen and the car ultimately just stopped. I backed down and went another way.
              >
              > Surely not reason to not love the Prius as a good snow car.
              >
              > John
              > 2007 Barcelona Red Touring

              It's interesting to read these winter driving stories. I've actually had good experiences in my 2002. Once I was driving on a 30 mph road and came to a slight hill where the road went up and over a freeway. The road was completely covered with thin layer of ice, and several cars were stuck or desperately trying to move but just spinning their tires. My Prius reduced power to the wheels to the point where they were turning slowly. This allowed me to climb the hill very slowly--let's say it took me a minute or two to go a couple hundred feet--and make it over the bridge. None of the other cars seemed able to do this, and I was quite happy with my Prius. I'm driving that Prius into it's tenth year now in Minnesota.

              Chris
              2002 Silver Strata "Buffy"
              ~108k miles
              original 12v battery, original 274v battery, original brakes,
              new bumpers (funny story), new antenna (funny story)
            • Levi Smith
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 6, 2011
                Agreed. There's a common misconception that the Prius stops the wheels
                from turning. It in fact will turn the wheels, but won't let them spin
                like mad. So it doesn't work well when people try to fly through snow
                without traction as the Prius will immediately start shutting off the power
                and inevitably the driver is only pushing the gas pedal at least as hard,
                if not to the floor which only makes the Prius shut off the power all the
                more as the wheels are spinning.

                I had a similar experience with mine even with the Blizzaks where I was
                trying to go through about 8-10 inches of a snow/slush drift. It was only
                the fact that the Prius kept the wheels from spinning and digging itself
                into a rut that I was able to go back and forth and finally make it instead
                of simply digging a hole and high centering.

                Levi

                On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 1:45 PM, ChrisZ <chriszerby1@...> wrote:

                > **
                > It's interesting to read these winter driving stories. I've actually had
                > good experiences in my 2002. Once I was driving on a 30 mph road and came
                > to a slight hill where the road went up and over a freeway. The road was
                > completely covered with thin layer of ice, and several cars were stuck or
                > desperately trying to move but just spinning their tires. My Prius reduced
                > power to the wheels to the point where they were turning slowly. This
                > allowed me to climb the hill very slowly--let's say it took me a minute or
                > two to go a couple hundred feet--and make it over the bridge. None of the
                > other cars seemed able to do this, and I was quite happy with my Prius. I'm
                > driving that Prius into it's tenth year now in Minnesota.
                >
                > Chris
                > 2002 Silver Strata "Buffy"
                > ~108k miles
                > original 12v battery, original 274v battery, original brakes,
                > new bumpers (funny story), new antenna (funny story)

              • Dan
                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 7, 2011
                  I got mine at the dollar store and will look when I get home.

                  Alternately, I bet that 3/4 rock works great...the stuff they mix with
                  concrete and it is $25 a scoop (truck full). They might let you get a
                  gallon bucket of it for free.
                • Scott G
                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 10, 2011
                    I have a 2007 and in my opinion, the car's ability to get around in the winter is one of it biggest drawbacks.  The biggest problem was the stock tires which was fixable.  I resulted in buying new ones after only two years but even at that, ended up getting a second winter set of tires/rims to deal with the cars less than stellar ability to deal with snow/ice because of the traction control.  It had been over 30 years since I had last bought/managed a separate set of winter tires/rims like that but is worth it.  I don't worry about getting around in the winter anymore.

                    Scott

                  • Felix
                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 10, 2011
                      --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, Scott G <srgrosenhe@...> wrote:

                      > I have a 2007 and in my opinion, the car's ability to get around in the winter is one of it biggest drawbacks.  The biggest problem was the stock tires which was fixable.  I resulted in buying new ones after only two years but even at that, ended up getting a second winter set of tires/rims to deal with the cars less than stellar ability to deal with snow/ice because of the traction control.  It had been over 30 years since I had last bought/managed a separate set of winter tires/rims like that but is worth it.  I don't worry about getting around in the winter anymore.
                      >
                      > Scott

                      See this:

                      http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=124

                      As expected, sliding friction is less than static friction so excessive wheel-spin only hurts you.