RE: [toyota-prius] classic steering recall

  • Baard Riiber
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 1, 2011
      Hi,

      They said the procedure should take 4 hours, but they wanted to keep the car
      for one day since mine was the first car they did the recall on. It ended up
      taking 3 weeks. After doing the recall, the steering was much heavier than
      before and the steering wheel would not return to the center position. You
      had to turn it back using force when exiting a turn. They had to replace the
      steering rack and there were no steering racks available in Europe so they
      had to order one from Japan. They claimed they replaced parts for close to
      $7000. I did of course not have to pay anything and they lent me another
      car. Actually, I didn't mind getting a new steering rack for free.

      Baard Riiber

      2001 Aqua Ice

      75000 miles

      Asker, Norway

      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 1, 2011
        --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, mochalleng@... wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I stopped at my local dealer to see about how long the work for the recall
        > would take, and they had no information on the recall, or at least the work
        > involved. I need to get the coolant in my converter changed, so I figured
        > I could do both.
        > I know I have seen at least one post from someone who got the work done.
        > Does anyone have an idea how long it takes, on average?
        >
        > Mike Hahn
        > 2002 Aqua Ice Opalescent
        > 177,000 miles
        > Granite City, IL

        You should have received a mailing from Toyota with two notices: recall to change out the pinion shaft nuts, and extension of the warranty on the steering rack to 12/31/13. My dealer service did the pinion nut job in just under two hours.