Middle carseat latch option?

  • Levi Smith
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 22, 2011
      Hello, we're getting ready for fostering and have gotten a britax advocate
      cs carseat. I'm trying to at least get some basics figured out. I'm looking
      at rear facing infant for now. Looks like latch is the best method with a
      tether to front seat bracket.

      So, biggest question at the moment is if latch is actually allowed in the
      middle? I haven't found anything in the Prius manual that actually states
      "no", but the way it's phrased makes me feel like it's a no. Googling is
      turning up a few people saying "no" with no backup reasoning, and a couple
      people who say they are don't it.
      IIRC, while there are only 4 anchors in the Prius the center 2 latch anchors
      feel like they might be shaped to allow tethering in a center position...

      Then the question becomes (especially if the center is not supposed to use
      latch) is how much better the center position is, especially without latch.
      Let alone that I'm envisioning space being easier to use with the seat in a
      side position.

      In my wife's Baja there is no center seat so the answer is easy. Also, those
      latch anchors feel like just straight u shapes, as opposed to the...
      hexagonal shape that the Prius latch anchors feel like which make me
      question that they are made to allow for center seat tethering...

      Thanks!
      Levi

    • Levi Smith
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 22, 2011
        Forgot to mention, this is in a 2004.

      • Ryan
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 22, 2011
          My son's seat is in the middle in my Prius and my wife's Ford Edge. Both have non standard spacing for the center latch, so if you have rigid latches, it will not work. This site has some detailed information. http://www.car-safety.org/latch.html

          After installing my seat, it was inspected by the hospital when he came home as well as the local PD in a seat check. I suggest once you install the seat, go by a local Fire Department and have them inspect it. They will usually be glad to.

          Hats off to you fostering and good luck.

          To me, the center position is the safest position.

          --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, Levi Smith <LeviGSmith@...> wrote:

          > Hello, we're getting ready for fostering and have gotten a britax advocate
          > cs carseat. I'm trying to at least get some basics figured out. I'm looking
          > at rear facing infant for now. Looks like latch is the best method with a
          > tether to front seat bracket.
          >
          > So, biggest question at the moment is if latch is actually allowed in the
          > middle? I haven't found anything in the Prius manual that actually states
          > "no", but the way it's phrased makes me feel like it's a no. Googling is
          > turning up a few people saying "no" with no backup reasoning, and a couple
          > people who say they are don't it.
          > IIRC, while there are only 4 anchors in the Prius the center 2 latch anchors
          > feel like they might be shaped to allow tethering in a center position...
          >
          > Then the question becomes (especially if the center is not supposed to use
          > latch) is how much better the center position is, especially without latch.
          > Let alone that I'm envisioning space being easier to use with the seat in a
          > side position.
          >
          > In my wife's Baja there is no center seat so the answer is easy. Also, those
          > latch anchors feel like just straight u shapes, as opposed to the...
          > hexagonal shape that the Prius latch anchors feel like which make me
          > question that they are made to allow for center seat tethering...
          >
          > Thanks!
          > Levi

        • Larry Murray
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 22, 2011
            HI Guys,

            I have been an on again off again monitor of this group. With the soon to be released 2012 plug in, my interest is now at its highest. I have not seen much mention about the 2012 Pruis release from Toyota on this sight! Toyota did contact me as a current Pruis owner to set up initial interest in the offerings and stated I could place a pre order soon for the plug in. As usual, Toyota's color offerings leave a lot to be desired. My favorite color is Sandy Beach Metallic. That of course is not one of the selections. So, I ask the members out here are there any of you feeling the same way and if so how can we as a group get Toyota to listen? I have other options, I would like to see offered on the plug-in, such as moon roof (no solar option), larger range on the front seat to increase leg room and 17'' wheels. Now I know it is possible some of these things my compromise some of the fuel efficiency of the vehicle and maybe that is why things like the moon roof and 17 inch wheels are not offered. I learned long ago, if you don't ask, for sure you wont get it!! This is me asking!! Your thoughts!!

            Larry

            P.S. My second choice if the plug in finacially is prohibitive, is the standard 2012 Pruis!! Any information on the price, release date and options?

            02, 04 Pruis

          • Felix
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 22, 2011
              --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, Larry Murray <lmurray007@...> wrote:

              > HI Guys,
              >
              > I have been an on again off again monitor of this group. With the > soon to be released 2012 plug in, my interest is now at its
              > highest. I have not seen much mention about the 2012 PrIUs release
              > from Toyota on this sight (site)!

              This is because (in my case) I am kind of ho-hum about the whole
              PHEV thing, IE my response to PHEV is, at least in part, that of "Move along people, nothing to see here" I do like BEVs and HEVs though.

              > Toyota did contact me as a current PrIUs owner to set up initial
              > interest in the offerings and stated I could place a pre order soon
              > for the plug in. As usual, Toyota's color offerings leave a lot to
              > be desired. My favorite color is Sandy Beach Metallic. That of
              > course is not one of the selections. So, I ask the members out
              > here are there any of you feeling the same way and if so how can we
              > as a group get Toyota to listen? I have other options, I would
              > like to see offered on the plug-in, such as moon roof (no solar
              > option), larger range on the front seat to increase leg room and
              > 17'' wheels. Now I know it is possible some of these things my
              > compromise some of the fuel efficiency of the vehicle and maybe
              > that is why things like the moon roof and 17 inch wheels are not
              > offered. I learned long ago, if you don't ask, for sure you wont
              > get it!! This is me asking!! Your thoughts!!
              >

              > Larry
              >
              > P.S. My second choice if the plug in financially is prohibitive, is
              > the standard 2012 PrIUs!! Any information on the price, release
              > date and options?
              >
              > 02, 04 PrIUs

              Honestly, you and I both probably stand about the same chance (zero) of having Toyota's design and engineer teams bend to our will, IE I haven't liked the ZVW30's interior/dash/console/mechanical design since day 1 of its introduction, I like the NHW20 model, but I highly doubt anything NHW20ish (MFD etc.) will show up in the future.

              BTW I corrected some spelling errors, including spelling Prius wrong all 6 times. Please try to refrain from transposing the "I" and "U" as I have learned that spelling it with them swapped is common of the detractors and trolls that spread FUD about the car. To be fair you got it right in your July first of 2010 post.

              It also appears you did a no-no by editing a reply into a new thread, as your post (and this one) appear as replies to the "Middle carseat latch option?" thread.