Re: 2002 Prius 150K+ miles eating wheel bearings?

  • mstevendickerson
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 5, 2011
      an earlier post also confirmed what I know too - NAPA does carry the rear hub assembly / wheel bearing. I replaced mine in my 02 a few years ago, and purchased the assembly from NAPA.

      steve d
      02 super white 248,000 miles

      --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, Steve Highland <shighlan@...> wrote:

      > I¹m becoming gradually more convinced my left rear bearing may be what¹s
      > goofed up, but when I called NAPA about a new part, they claim Toyota has
      > not ³released² it, and the replacement hub simply does not exist other than
      > from Toyota.
      >
      > Is there any way out other than to fork over $300 to a dealer for a new rear
      > hub?
      >
      > If I have to go that route I don¹t want to be wrong again and waste $$
      > chasing the wrong problem.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Steve in Duluth

    • Austin Kinser
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 5, 2011
        I had the same issue with my NHW20 Prius. It was a brake caliber that had seized. I also noticed an efficiency loss and it seemed like it wasn't regenerating as much, but I got it fixed from my local Toyota dealer... A pretty 890 dollars for a brake caliber, and two wheel roders. Now it's perfect, efficiency is back up and it doesn't pull to one side anymore when I brake. It had gotten to where when I would use my brakes and there would be a horrible grinding noise and it had eaten away my brakes and roders.

        Sent from my iPhone

        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 5, 2011
          Yes, dealers have forgotten how to rebuild calipers, also how to refinish
          rotors it seems... True, rotors don't have as much extra 'meat' on them as
          in the past, but most all can stand one surface-grinding (though not if the
          backing plates on the pads had already done the grinding in this case).
          Caliper rebuilding also isn't rocket science, but part-swapping is easier.
          Pete

          On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 4:47 PM, Austin Kinser <austinkinser11@...>wrote:

          > **
          >
          > I had the same issue with my NHW20 Prius. It was a brake caliber that had
          > seized. I also noticed an efficiency loss and it seemed like it wasn't
          > regenerating as much, but I got it fixed from my local Toyota dealer... A
          > pretty 890 dollars for a brake caliber, and two wheel roders. Now it's
          > perfect, efficiency is back up and it doesn't pull to one side anymore when
          > I brake. It had gotten to where when I would use my brakes and there would
          > be a horrible grinding noise and it had eaten away my brakes and roders.
          > <SNIP>

        • Steve Highland
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 8, 2011
            The only rear wheel bearing I could find other than the dealer part cost
            $275. I¹m engaged in trying to replace it right now in the driveway. The
            bolts came out surprisingly easily, but I have been hammering on the thing
            quite a while trying to get it free and it just won¹t budge.

            Any ideas? I need to get this back together in under two hours or I¹m going
            to need other transportation tonight ...

            Steve in Duluth

            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 8, 2011
              Hope it all worked out - trick to getting it loose is to loosely bolt the
              wheel back on, then take a rubber mallet to the rim. Piece of pie.
              Pete

              On Sat, Oct 8, 2011 at 5:39 PM, Steve Highland <shighlan@...> wrote:

              > **
              >

              > The only rear wheel bearing I could find other than the dealer part cost
              > $275. I�m engaged in trying to replace it right now in the driveway. The
              > bolts came out surprisingly easily, but I have been hammering on the thing
              > quite a while trying to get it free and it just won�t budge.
              >
              > Any ideas? I need to get this back together in under two hours or I�m going
              > to need other transportation tonight ...
              >
              > Steve in Duluth

            • Steve H
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 9, 2011
                IT'S OUT! That was no piece of pie, though. I think cooking it a bit with the propane torch finally loosened the thing. It's a really tight fit in there -- the rust wedged it in to both the mount and the plate with the brake cylinder on it as well.

                Putting the new hub in shouldn't be a problem (fingers crossed). If this doesn't remedy that whirr/hum/roar I've been having I don't know what I'll do.

                We'll see ...

                UnStuck Steve in Duluth

                --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, Peter Blackford <priuspete@...> wrote:

                > Hope it all worked out - trick to getting it loose is to loosely bolt the
                > wheel back on, then take a rubber mallet to the rim. Piece of pie.
                > Pete
                >
                > On Sat, Oct 8, 2011 at 5:39 PM, Steve Highland <shighlan@...> wrote:
                >
                > > **
                > >

                > > The only rear wheel bearing I could find other than the dealer part cost
                > > $275. I¹m engaged in trying to replace it right now in the driveway. The
                > > bolts came out surprisingly easily, but I have been hammering on the thing
                > > quite a while trying to get it free and it just won¹t budge.
                > >
                > > Any ideas? I need to get this back together in under two hours or I¹m going
                > > to need other transportation tonight ...
                > >
                > > Steve in Duluth

              • Steve H
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 9, 2011
                  I'm disappointed to say that I just took the car out for a drive with the new bearing (and new brake pads) and the whirr/humm/roar is still there. Maddening.

                  There definitely was something wrong with the old bearing, because I cant' even turn it at all by hand now that it's out of there. (I probably damaged it further taking it out, I suppose.)

                  The sound definitely changes when I swerve, so am I now down to replacing the last bearing in the car? That was the one that seemed, fine, though.

                  What to do?

                  Steve in Duluth

                  --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "Steve H" <shighlan@...> wrote:

                  > IT'S OUT! That was no piece of pie, though. I think cooking it a bit with the propane torch finally loosened the thing. It's a really tight fit in there -- the rust wedged it in to both the mount and the plate with the brake cylinder on it as well.
                  >
                  > Putting the new hub in shouldn't be a problem (fingers crossed). If this doesn't remedy that whirr/hum/roar I've been having I don't know what I'll do.
                  >
                  > We'll see ...
                  >
                  > UnStuck Steve in Duluth
                  >
                  > --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, Peter Blackford <priuspete@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hope it all worked out - trick to getting it loose is to loosely bolt the
                  > > wheel back on, then take a rubber mallet to the rim. Piece of pie.
                  > > Pete
                  > >
                  > > On Sat, Oct 8, 2011 at 5:39 PM, Steve Highland <shighlan@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > **
                  > > >

                  > > > The only rear wheel bearing I could find other than the dealer part cost
                  > > > $275. I¹m engaged in trying to replace it right now in the driveway. The
                  > > > bolts came out surprisingly easily, but I have been hammering on the thing
                  > > > quite a while trying to get it free and it just won¹t budge.
                  > > >
                  > > > Any ideas? I need to get this back together in under two hours or I¹m going
                  > > > to need other transportation tonight ...
                  > > >
                  > > > Steve in Duluth

                • Patrick
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 10, 2011
                    1. Now that you are an expert at replacing the bearings, you'd might as well replace the last one, as it will probably fail soon anyway if it is not already bad.

                    2. How do you know that the noise is not being produced by the tires? Especially if the tread has any abnormal wear, the tires could be producing substantial noise.

                    Patrick Wong