Engine light came on

  • Alan Murray
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 2, 2011
      In my 2004 Prius with 210,000 miles, my check engine light has been coming
      on & off for a few days. Now it on solid. Any thoughs about what could be
      wrong?
      The car has been consuming oil between oil changes.
      I have not notice any difference in its operation.
      Thanks
      Alan Murray

      Start your work from Home Business. Click here for more
      information.<http://www.prepaidlegal.com/go/amurray57>

    • Levi Smith
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 2, 2011
        Could be just about anything. As long as you're sure your gas cap is tight,
        it's probably time to go find someone to read the codes. You might try
        somewhere free like Autozone(but they'll be limited in the amount of codes
        they can read), otherwise probably start checking how much the dealers
        charge...

        Levi

        On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 12:06 PM, Alan Murray <al.murray@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > In my 2004 Prius with 210,000 miles, my check engine light has been coming
        > on & off for a few days. Now it on solid. Any thoughs about what could be
        > wrong?
        > The car has been consuming oil between oil changes.
        > I have not notice any difference in its operation.
        > Thanks
        > Alan Murray
        >
        > Start your work from Home Business. Click here for more
        > information.<http://www.prepaidlegal.com/go/amurray57>

      • Steven Smith
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 2, 2011
          Could be the water pump for which there is a recall.

          Could be just about anything.  As long as you're sure your gas cap is tight,
          it's probably time to go find someone to read the codes.  You might try
          somewhere free like Autozone(but they'll be limited in the amount of codes
          they can read), otherwise probably start checking how much the dealers
          charge...

          Levi

          On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 12:06 PM, Alan Murray <al.murray@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > In my 2004 Prius with 210,000 miles, my check engine light has been coming
          > on & off for a few days. Now it on solid. Any thoughs about what could be
          > wrong?
          > The car has been consuming oil between oil changes.
          > I have not notice any difference in its operation.
          > Thanks
          > Alan Murray
          >
          > Start your work from Home Business. Click here for more
          > information.<http://www.prepaidlegal.com/go/amurray57>

        • Larry Finch
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 2, 2011
            Well yes, it COULD be. But there are several hundred things it COULD
            be, some trivial, some incipient disaster. The safest thing to do is
            to get it diagnosed by someone who knows what they are doing, like a
            dealer or Prius specialty shop.

            On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 12:26 PM, Steven Smith <kewsps@...> wrote:

            > Could be the water pump for which there is a recall.

            Larry Finch
            N 40° 53' 47"
            W 74° 03' 56"
          • Steven Smith
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 2, 2011
              Larry,

               I have done as you suggest here many times, and I can tell you having the car properly diagnosed has its risks as well.
              The water pump is a known problem that causes warning lights to come on. If it has not been repaired under Toyota recall, have it done. If problem still exists, find someone knowledgeable with the needed equipment to help. Pay them for their expertise and be grateful that they have chosen to dedicate there lives to providing a valuable service to you.

              Steven

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 2, 2011
                Steve,

                Well, I've had the engine light 4 times in the 8 years I've had my
                Prius. None of them were the water pump. One was a loose gas cap, one
                was a "failed to start" error (fixed by replacing the ECM), and two
                were misfires. The last of these resulted in the car stopping and
                refusing to continue on a rural road at midnight on a Sunday. The
                problem that time was a failed ignitor, and, as I said in another
                thread, it took the dealer working with factory support 7 hours to
                find it, even though the code was cylinder 4 misfire.

                I don't deny that it could be the water pump, but it could be a lot of
                other things.

                best,
                Larry

                --
                Larry Finch
                N 40° 53' 47"
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 2, 2011
                  Larry,
                  Under those circumstances I agree completely. Sorry to hear you have had problems with your Prius.  Cars will be cars. We have been lucky with our Prius. Knock on wood.
                  Steven

                  --
                  Larry Finch
                  N 40° 53' 47"