Re: Arrived

  • Daniel
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 1, 2011
      Considering our interstate system was modeled after the German Autobaun where it is designed for 120mph speed.
      Your Prius is designed to cruise at speeds of 100-110mph

      and I am still trying to learn how to drive in an area where the heavily enforced speed limit is 60-65mph...having driven 80 - 85mph in So Cal for the last 10 years

      --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, Kyle Davis <kylesnow@...> wrote:

      > In Florida without the Prius. The trusty Buick got us here, but I can't help bit wonder how you guys drive on highways with speed limits over 70?
      >
      > I was doing almost 80 and getting passed by people pulling trailers and boats.
      >
      > I'm sure it would've made it down here, and saved a forums on gas, too boot. But I think if I do it (take the Prius) next time I'll borrow a red triangle from one of our farmer friends so we don't get run over on our at down here!
      >
      > I do miss it, though. I see several Gen 2 and Gen 3s down here, but haven't seen a Gen 1 since Tennessee.
      >
      > Kyle

    • ChrisZ
      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 1, 2011

        --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, Stan Horwitz <stan.horwitz@...> wrote:

        > I have no problem driving on highways in my 2008 Prius. I have driven I95 between Philadelphia and Boston several times, and more times than I can remember in Manhattan. No problem at all.

        I have a Gen 1 (2002) and the wife has a Gen 2 (2008), and like Stan I have had no problems at all driving on long road trips on the interstate freeway system. Contrary to what some may believe, the Prius can easily reach and maintain any freeway speed needed. I have read here that a Prius may not be able to keep up a high speed (> 60?) during an extended climb up a mountain-type grade, but I have not experienced that.

        And contrary to popular belief, you will NOT be "run over" while maintaining the speed limit, be it 60 mph or 75 mph.
      • Ed
        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 1, 2011
          Chris Z wrote: have a Gen 1 (2002) and the wife has a Gen 2 (2008), and
          like Stan I have had no problems at all driving on long road trips on
          the interstate freeway system. Contrary to what some may believe, the
          Prius can easily reach and maintain any freeway speed needed. I have
          read here that a Prius may not be able to keep up a high speed (> 60?)
          during an extended climb up a mountain-type grade, but I have not
          experienced that. And contrary to popular belief, you will NOT be "run
          over" while maintaining the speed limit, be it 60 mph or 75 mph.

          I too put many highway miles in a Gen 1/2001 Prius.... it had no problem
          going as fast as I asked it to, even on the slightly mountain type
          grades in Tennessee.

          Ed
        • Stan
          Message 4 of 22 , Aug 1, 2011
            Is that over 100mph speed with or without a charged battery? Al Gore's son
            was arrested on I-5 near San Clemente for doing 105mph in his Prius. It was
            maxxed out on level ground. I hate to think of the rpm of the engine at that
            speed but being designed for that speed? I think they left out the overdrive
            for the autobaun.

          • Jerry Gmail
            Message 5 of 22 , Aug 1, 2011
              I can tell you that I have owned much slower cars than the Prius I now
              drive.
              I usually travel at 75 on the freeways but if the flow is faster, 80 is not
              uncomfortable.

              OTOH once when I had all day to get to point B and I wanted to see what MPG
              I could attain at a lower speed, I tried to drive home on the freeway at 55.
              I used to think that 85 was scary. But 55 is way over the fear limit. I
              will likely never try that speed again.

              Google Jer
              Woodhaven, Mi

              Message 6 of 22 , Aug 1, 2011
                On Aug 1, 2011, at 8:31 PM, Jerry Gmail wrote:

                > I can tell you that I have owned much slower cars than the Prius I now
                > drive.

                I bought one of these new in 1978: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L50Z96o6YpM.
                My 2007 Prius is faster than the 2.6L 5-speed.

                Don't know if this link will work: http://file.vintageadbrowser.com/l-q1cv9smjdfo9yn.jpg else go 2/3rds down this page to "Dodge Challenger (1978)" http://www.vintageadbrowser.com/cars-ads-1970s/6

                > I usually travel at 75 on the freeways but if the flow is faster, 80 is not
                > uncomfortable.
                >
                > OTOH once when I had all day to get to point B and I wanted to see what MPG
                > I could attain at a lower speed, I tried to drive home on the freeway at 55.
                > I used to think that 85 was scary. But 55 is way over the fear limit. I
                > will likely never try that speed again.

                20 MPH under the prevailing speed is just as dangerous as 20 MPH over the prevailing speed. "Speed" does NOT kill. A difference in speed does.

                Message 7 of 22 , Aug 1, 2011
                  On Aug 1, 2011, at 11:51 AM, Stan wrote:

                  > Is that over 100mph speed with or without a charged battery?

                  If it wasn't when you started the traction battery will be charged by the time you get to 100 MPH.

                  Message 8 of 22 , Aug 1, 2011
                    On Aug 1, 2011, at 9:38 AM, ChrisZ wrote:

                    > I have a Gen 1 (2002) and the wife has a Gen 2 (2008), and like Stan I have had no problems at all driving on long road trips on the interstate freeway system. Contrary to what some may believe, the Prius can easily reach and maintain any freeway speed needed. I have read here that a Prius may not be able to keep up a high speed (> 60?) during an extended climb up a mountain-type grade, but I have not experienced that.

                    I drove 725 miles on Friday and 770 miles today.

                    If a Prius is the slowest car on the road then it is because the driver is driving it slow on purpose. I blew the doors off a 50 MPH Jeep in a 55 zone today.

                    The Prius can climb any grade the Prius can climb until the Prius runs out of gasoline. Traction battery capacity has nothing to do with it.

                  • Levi Smith
                    Message 9 of 22 , Aug 2, 2011
                      Say what?
                      I'll agree that there is a position of accelerator which charges the battery
                      if needed while accelerating. Putting it to the floor is not one of them.
                      And to get to 100mph you're going to need to put it to the floor I'd guess
                      pretty much unless you're in free fall...

                      Or am I just missing some alternate take on this?

                      Levi

                      Message 10 of 22 , Aug 2, 2011
                        On Aug 2, 2011, at 6:45 AM, Levi Smith wrote:

                        > Say what?
                        > I'll agree that there is a position of accelerator which charges the battery
                        > if needed while accelerating. Putting it to the floor is not one of them.
                        > And to get to 100mph you're going to need to put it to the floor I'd guess
                        > pretty much unless you're in free fall...
                        >
                        > Or am I just missing some alternate take on this?

                        I disagree with "there is a position of accelerator". The ECU charges when it wants to irrespective of the accelerator position.

                        The MFD cartoon shows mine alternately charging and discharging with the accelerator floored.

                        MG1 is going to produce as much current as necessary to provide torque to counter the ICE so that ICE torque gets through the geared transmission. Some will go to battery as needed, the remainder will go to MG2. The ECU has very elaborate algorithms for battery maintenance which result in charge/discharge cycles being performed at times that can not be explained by simple EV logic.

                      • Daniel
                        Message 11 of 22 , Aug 2, 2011
                          My CJ5 is only safe to about 65-70 mph, even grandma will blow my doors off in California...

                          I have no complaints about Prius top speed and accellearation at any freeway speeds....plenty of reserve power...Only topped by a V8 going up the long steep grades....or CIVICs with a stick....
                          I can think of no small car with an auto trans that can be the Prius.Or many midsize for that matter.
                          --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Gmail" <jhnidy@...> wrote:

                          > I can tell you that I have owned much slower cars than the Prius I now
                          > drive.
                          > I usually travel at 75 on the freeways but if the flow is faster, 80 is not
                          > uncomfortable.
                          >
                          > OTOH once when I had all day to get to point B and I wanted to see what MPG
                          > I could attain at a lower speed, I tried to drive home on the freeway at 55.
                          > I used to think that 85 was scary. But 55 is way over the fear limit. I
                          > will likely never try that speed again.
                          >
                          > Google Jer
                          > Woodhaven, Mi

                        • Levi Smith
                          Message 12 of 22 , Aug 2, 2011
                            Interesting. I wouldn't necessarily say that there is a set position, but I
                            can say that it seems every single time that I'm climbing a hill (or I
                            suppose otherwise asking for a good amount of power) there is a point
                            somewhere around maybe 80% pedal travel where the batteries tend to get
                            charge(to a point). But if I floor it, I've NEVER seen it charge. I've
                            gone from Full green down to a single purple. I don't think I've ever fully
                            drained the graph so perhaps once it gets that low it will alternate short
                            amount of charge/discharge.
                            But I can't see it actually refilling the battery with the accelerator
                            floored and if it did, I can't imagine you ever making it to actual triple
                            digit speeds with... 50hp? (just trying to guesstimate gas power only but
                            with a good portion of that power going to recharge the battery)

                            On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 8:55 AM, David Kelly <dkelly@...> wrote:

                            > **
                            >

                            > On Aug 2, 2011, at 6:45 AM, Levi Smith wrote:
                            >
                            > > Say what?
                            > > I'll agree that there is a position of accelerator which charges the
                            > battery
                            > > if needed while accelerating. Putting it to the floor is not one of them.
                            > > And to get to 100mph you're going to need to put it to the floor I'd
                            > guess
                            > > pretty much unless you're in free fall...
                            > >
                            > > Or am I just missing some alternate take on this?
                            >
                            > I disagree with "there is a position of accelerator". The ECU charges when
                            > it wants to irrespective of the accelerator position.
                            >
                            > The MFD cartoon shows mine alternately charging and discharging with the
                            > accelerator floored.
                            >
                            > MG1 is going to produce as much current as necessary to provide torque to
                            > counter the ICE so that ICE torque gets through the geared transmission.
                            > Some will go to battery as needed, the remainder will go to MG2. The ECU has
                            > very elaborate algorithms for battery maintenance which result in
                            > charge/discharge cycles being performed at times that can not be explained
                            > by simple EV logic.
                            >

                            > --
                            > David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@...
                          • Alastair Westgarth
                            Message 13 of 22 , Aug 2, 2011
                              Prius easily drives 70-80mph on the highway with AC on

                              I just got back from Houston this weekend - granted its flat, but drove 73mph avg with AC on in 107F and got 50mpg over 250miles. I will take that any day.

                              --
                              Thx
                              Alastair Westgarth

                              On Aug 2, 2011, at 7:57 AM, Daniel wrote:

                              My CJ5 is only safe to about 65-70 mph, even grandma will blow my doors off in California...

                              I have no complaints about Prius top speed and accellearation at any freeway speeds....plenty of reserve power...Only topped by a V8 going up the long steep grades....or CIVICs with a stick....
                              I can think of no small car with an auto trans that can be the Prius.Or many midsize for that matter.
                              --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Gmail" <jhnidy@...> wrote:

                              > I can tell you that I have owned much slower cars than the Prius I now
                              > drive.
                              > I usually travel at 75 on the freeways but if the flow is faster, 80 is not
                              > uncomfortable.
                              >
                              > OTOH once when I had all day to get to point B and I wanted to see what MPG
                              > I could attain at a lower speed, I tried to drive home on the freeway at 55.
                              > I used to think that 85 was scary. But 55 is way over the fear limit. I
                              > will likely never try that speed again.
                              >
                              > Google Jer
                              > Woodhaven, Mi

                            • michaelsgroup
                              Message 14 of 22 , Aug 2, 2011
                                --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "ChrisZ" <chriszerby1@...> wrote:

                                > --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, Stan Horwitz <stan.horwitz@> wrote:
                                ...I have read here that a Prius may not be able to keep up a high speed (> 60?) during an extended climb up a mountain-type grade, but I have not experienced that.

                                Try the Big Horn Mountains in northeastern Wyoming...you'll find out how much the Prius relies on the traction battery once you've exhausted all the charge bars on the climb up...you're lucky to do 45 mph "pedal to the metal." Of course, you end up with all green bars after the descent! :)

                                Cheers,

                                Mike
                                Message 15 of 22 , Aug 2, 2011
                                  On Tue, Aug 02, 2011 at 08:33:22AM -0500, Alastair Westgarth wrote:
                                  > Prius easily drives 70-80mph on the highway with AC on
                                  >
                                  > I just got back from Houston this weekend - granted its flat, but
                                  > drove 73mph avg with AC on in 107F and got 50mpg over 250miles. I
                                  > will take that any day.

                                  So would I. My 1500 mile weekend only averaged 45.5. But I limited CC to
                                  72 MPH (per GPS, often 74 displayed) and only saw 99 on temperature
                                  briefly.

                                  I could get 50+ on 60 to 65 MPH roads.

                                  Had 42 MPG showing for 50 miles or so out of a gas station yesterday.
                                  Philips 66 at mile 180 on I-55 in Missouri.

                                  I can get in the 50+ range at 70+ MPH by following relatively closely
                                  the vehicle in front. Don't have to follow as close as is common in
                                  congested interstate traffic.

                                • Walter Lee
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Aug 2, 2011
                                    If you were monitoring the High Voltage Battery's
                                    charging current using the ScanGaugeII (rather
                                    than the state of charge of  the battery , SoC)
                                    what Xgauge would you be monitoring
                                    and what would you be looking for?

                                    Walte  Lee
                                    2010 Toyota Prius III, Blue Ribbon/Dark Grey, oem floormat
                                    Yokohama Avid S33 Tires ( front 50 psi , rear 48 psi)
                                    ScangaugeII ( AVG, FwT/MPG, GPH, SoC)
                                    Odeometer +14400 miles, overall 59 mpg

                                    Interesting.  I wouldn't necessarily say that there is a set position, but I
                                    can say that it seems every single time that I'm climbing a hill (or I
                                    suppose otherwise asking for a good amount of power) there is a point
                                    somewhere around maybe 80% pedal travel where the batteries tend to get
                                    charge(to a point).  But if I floor it, I've NEVER seen it charge.  I've
                                    gone from Full green down to a single purple.  I don't think I've ever fully
                                    drained the graph so perhaps once it gets that low it will alternate short
                                    amount of charge/discharge.
                                    But I can't see it actually refilling the battery with the accelerator
                                    floored and if it did, I can't imagine you ever making it to actual triple
                                    digit speeds with...  50hp?  (just trying to guesstimate gas power only but
                                    with a good portion of that power going to recharge the battery)

                                    On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 8:55 AM, David Kelly <dkelly@...> wrote:

                                    > **
                                    >

                                    > On Aug 2, 2011, at 6:45 AM, Levi Smith wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > Say what?
                                    > > I'll agree that there is a position of accelerator which charges the
                                    > battery
                                    > > if needed while accelerating. Putting it to the floor is not one of them.
                                    > > And to get to 100mph you're going to need to put it to the floor I'd
                                    > guess
                                    > > pretty much unless you're in free fall...
                                    > >
                                    > > Or am I just missing some alternate take on this?
                                    >
                                    > I disagree with "there is a position of accelerator". The ECU charges when
                                    > it wants to irrespective of the accelerator position.
                                    >
                                    > The MFD cartoon shows mine alternately charging and discharging with the
                                    > accelerator floored.
                                    >
                                    > MG1 is going to produce as much current as necessary to provide torque to
                                    > counter the ICE so that ICE torque gets through the geared transmission.
                                    > Some will go to battery as needed, the remainder will go to MG2. The ECU has
                                    > very elaborate algorithms for battery maintenance which result in
                                    > charge/discharge cycles being performed at times that can not be explained
                                    > by simple EV logic.
                                    >

                                    > --
                                    > David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@...

                                  • ChrisZ
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Aug 2, 2011
                                      --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, David Kelly <dkelly@...> wrote:

                                      > On Aug 1, 2011, at 8:31 PM, Jerry Gmail wrote:
                                      >
                                      > > I can tell you that I have owned much slower cars than the Prius I now drive.
                                      >
                                      > I bought one of these new in 1978: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L50Z96o6YpM.
                                      > My 2007 Prius is faster than the 2.6L 5-speed.
                                      >
                                      > Don't know if this link will work: http://file.vintageadbrowser.com/l-q1cv9smjdfo9yn.jpg else go 2/3rds down this page to "Dodge Challenger (1978)" http://www.vintageadbrowser.com/cars-ads-1970s/6
                                      >
                                      > > I usually travel at 75 on the freeways but if the flow is faster, 80 is not uncomfortable.
                                      > >
                                      > > OTOH once when I had all day to get to point B and I wanted to see what MPG I could attain at a lower speed, I tried to drive home on the freeway at 55.
                                      > > I used to think that 85 was scary. But 55 is way over the fear limit. I will likely never try that speed again.

                                      > 20 MPH under the prevailing speed is just as dangerous as 20 MPH over the prevailing speed. "Speed" does NOT kill. A difference in speed does.
                                      >
                                      > --
                                      > David Kelly

                                      If the "prevailing speed" is over the speed limit, *no one* is obligated to also break the speed limit. When the highway patrol pulls you over and writes you a $135 ticket, do you think that the "prevailing speed" argument will get you out of it? We seem to live in a nation of scofflaws, almost outlaws, and would be anarchists who think they should never pay taxes or drive the speed limit. Sheesh.

                                      --CZ