Check engine light and hybrid system warning light on

  • Steven Smith
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 1, 2011
      Hi,
      My wifes 04 Prius has no driving symptoms, but after hitting a bump in the road, has the red triangle light, the check engine light, and the orange car symbol on the display on. We bought the car new in Oct 03 and I am thinking that it is having a problem with the HV battery similar to the first generation problem. The car only has 51K miles on it and no history of problems.

      Also, what are the chances that a 3 year old 12v battery is getting flakey and causing warning lights to come on?  Anyone had any sucess in this situation by replacing the 12v battery?

      Thanks
      Steven

      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 1, 2011
        Take a deep breath, and wait a couple of days. Don't attack the key madly
        (turning on/off several times...), just let nature take its course and after
        a few usual starts the lights may clear (big triangle first, CEL later on)
        and all will likely get back to normal. Then, if the problem recurs, (IFF),
        take it in for diagnosis.
        If the odd combination of loads caused by the bump was indeed the root
        cause, it won't happen again soon. For now, since all driving
        characteristics are normal, I'd bet it will be a long time.
        Pete

        On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 1:33 PM, Steven Smith <kewsps@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Hi,
        > My wifes 04 Prius has no driving symptoms, but after hitting a bump in the
        > road, has the red triangle light, the check engine light, and the orange car
        > symbol on the display on. We bought the car new in Oct 03 and I am thinking
        > that it is having a problem with the HV battery similar to the first
        > generation problem. The car only has 51K miles on it and no history of
        > problems.
        >
        > Also, what are the chances that a 3 year old 12v battery is getting flakey
        > and causing warning lights to come on? Anyone had any sucess in this
        > situation by replacing the 12v battery?
        >
        > Thanks
        > Steven

      • Steven Smith
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 1, 2011
          Will do, Thanks

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 1, 2011
            If you haven't changed the 12volt battery, it's now 7 years old. If it
            happens again or you have trouble starting, I would replace that first.
            Elearnaid, previously mentioned here, sells better batteries than the Toyota
            dealer for about the same price. You have to do the installation yourself,
            but it's not hard. I replaced the battery in my 2004 (purchased in November,
            2003) several years ago as it had to be put on a trickle charger
            occasionally after sitting for a few days. I had left an interior light on a
            few times, which is a killer for the 12 volt.

            A friend of mine has a 2005 with only 55,000 miles on it; all the warning
            lights lit up and she took it in to her local mechanic (not the dealer) who
            told her she needed to have the main battery replaced, but he couldn't do
            it. I told her to just have the 12 volt replaced (far less that the main
            battery-under $200-she did not get the Optima from eLearnaid, as she needed
            the car) first. That was about a year and 6,000 miles ago and no problems
            since. I would start with the 12 volt; it's relatively cheap to replace and
            far less expensive than replacing the main and probably about time anyway.

            Paul

            On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 1:33 PM, Steven Smith <kewsps@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Hi,
            > My wifes 04 Prius has no driving symptoms, but after hitting a bump in the
            > road, has the red triangle light, the check engine light, and the orange car
            > symbol on the display on. We bought the car new in Oct 03 and I am thinking
            > that it is having a problem with the HV battery similar to the first
            > generation problem. The car only has 51K miles on it and no history of
            > problems.
            >
            > Also, what are the chances that a 3 year old 12v battery is getting flakey
            > and causing warning lights to come on? Anyone had any sucess in this
            > situation by replacing the 12v battery?
            >
            > Thanks
            > Steven

          • docaaron1
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 2, 2011
              This may or may not be related but my wife told me that when she started her '09 Prius the other day it triggered a red triagle and a message to put the car in Park. She turned off the car then re-started it, again with the same results. It was then she noticed her door was not closed all the way. She closed the door and started the car and the red triangle disappeared.

              I wonder if hitting a bump while driving with the door borderline closed could trigger a red triangle as described by Steven.

              Aaron
              '02 prius
              '09 Prius

              --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, Peter Blackford <priuspete@...> wrote:

              > Take a deep breath, and wait a couple of days. Don't attack the key madly
              > (turning on/off several times...), just let nature take its course and after
              > a few usual starts the lights may clear (big triangle first, CEL later on)
              > and all will likely get back to normal. Then, if the problem recurs, (IFF),
              > take it in for diagnosis.
              > If the odd combination of loads caused by the bump was indeed the root
              > cause, it won't happen again soon. For now, since all driving
              > characteristics are normal, I'd bet it will be a long time.
              > Pete
              >
              > On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 1:33 PM, Steven Smith <kewsps@...> wrote:
              >
              > > **
              > >

              > > Hi,
              > > My wifes 04 Prius has no driving symptoms, but after hitting a bump in the
              > > road, has the red triangle light, the check engine light, and the orange car
              > > symbol on the display on. We bought the car new in Oct 03 and I am thinking
              > > that it is having a problem with the HV battery similar to the first
              > > generation problem. The car only has 51K miles on it and no history of
              > > problems.
              > >
              > > Also, what are the chances that a 3 year old 12v battery is getting flakey
              > > and causing warning lights to come on? Anyone had any sucess in this
              > > situation by replacing the 12v battery?
              > >
              > > Thanks
              > > Steven

            • Steven Smith
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 3, 2011
                All the warning lights turned off by Sat morn, and there were never any driving symptoms. Glad this episode is over.

                Checking the doors to be sure they are tightly closed seems like a good idea. I thought another possibility was my wife's tendency to leave her phone charger dangleing from the port, rubbing on the carpet. Perhaps some stattic electric charge from this might set the system off. I asked her to remove it when not in use just in case.
                Thanks
                Steven

                This may or may not be related but my wife told me that when she started her '09 Prius the other day it triggered a red triagle and a message to put the car in Park.  She turned off the car then re-started it, again with the same results.  It was then she noticed her door was not closed all the way.  She closed the door and started the car and the red triangle disappeared.

                I wonder if hitting a bump while driving with the door borderline closed could trigger a red triangle as described by Steven.

                Aaron
                '02 prius
                '09 Prius

                --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, Peter Blackford <priuspete@...> wrote:

                > Take a deep breath, and wait a couple of days.  Don't attack the key madly
                > (turning on/off several times...), just let nature take its course and after
                > a few usual starts the lights may clear (big triangle first, CEL later on)
                > and all will likely get back to normal.  Then, if the problem recurs, (IFF),
                > take it in for diagnosis.
                > If the odd combination of loads caused by the bump was indeed the root
                > cause, it won't happen again soon.  For now, since all driving
                > characteristics are normal, I'd bet it will be a long time.
                > Pete
                >
                > On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 1:33 PM, Steven Smith <kewsps@...> wrote:
                >
                > > **
                > >

                > > Hi,
                > > My wifes 04 Prius has no driving symptoms, but after hitting a bump in the
                > > road, has the red triangle light, the check engine light, and the orange car
                > > symbol on the display on. We bought the car new in Oct 03 and I am thinking
                > > that it is having a problem with the HV battery similar to the first
                > > generation problem. The car only has 51K miles on it and no history of
                > > problems.
                > >
                > > Also, what are the chances that a 3 year old 12v battery is getting flakey
                > > and causing warning lights to come on?  Anyone had any sucess in this
                > > situation by replacing the 12v battery?
                > >
                > > Thanks
                > > Steven

              • Steve F
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 6, 2011
                  Have no idea if this is the cause of your situation, but....

                  Last week in our 04 Prius the Red Triangle came on (along with the check engine light) and we took it to the dealer.  Found out that it was caused by the hybrid electric water pump.  It just so happens that within the last couple weeks Toyota issued a recall for this item so all was fixed with the recall.  According to the dealer, letters are going out to owners very shortly.

                  http://www.toyota.com/recall/prius.html

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 6, 2011
                    This is very possible. The one thing I noted when my wife drove into the garage on the day the lights came on was that the heat comming off the hood was higher than I had noticed before.

                    I have the recall notice and will take the car in soon.

                    Thanks
                    Steven

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 7, 2011
                      The same warnings lights came on my 2004 Prius in February, 2008. The water pump was going out.

                      Sent from my iPhone
                    • Dan
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 7, 2011
                        Something could have shook loose..You said your battery is 3 years old....is it a factory/factory replacement?

                        If it is, I would say replace the battery, it is the same price as the diagostics to determine it is the battery ($180 for the elearnaid Optima).

                        I replaced my 12v with an optima with the conversion kit from elearnaid and replaced the battery in 30 minutes to an hour...if you can change a car battery you can change this battery.

                        The kit is $15 and saves you an hour or two of finding parts.

                        After this, all my electrical problems went away except when the traction battery went....I wonder if that is due to the constant up and down mountain roads at speed (down to one bar) and vegas trips, where it was also very hot and would get down to one purple bar.

                        Dan

                        Re: Check engine light and hybrid system warning light on
                        Posted by: "Steve F" bigisl00@...   bigisl00
                        Wed Jul 6, 2011 10:57 am (PDT)