Re: [toyota-prius] My First Battery Replacement

    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 30, 2011
      On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 09:44:56AM -0700, Heidi Anderson wrote:
      > Any advice on getting the darn key fob apart? I found the
      > instructions, but I just can't get it to budge! I've got the
      > mechanical key out, and the lever pressed all the way down, but the
      > back of the fob will not slide. I have fairly string fingers (I'm a
      > rock climber), so I'm stumped.

      Tap the Toyota logo while holding the spring loaded tab in and pushing
      to slide the Toyota logo cover up toward the spring loaded tab.

      Dirt and pocket lint finds its way inside to close the tolerances.

    • Peter
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 1, 2011
        I second David's observation that dirt and skin oils clog the parts together like glue, so sliding is nearly impossible. I had to get a thin penknife blade inserted in the seam to get any leverage to start the cover moving towards the outside. I was sure to clean all the channels in the sliding surfaces before putting it back together. I bought a used 2005 Prius and love it!

        --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, David Kelly <dkelly@...> wrote:

        > On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 09:44:56AM -0700, Heidi Anderson wrote:
        > > Any advice on getting the darn key fob apart? I found the
        > > instructions, but I just can't get it to budge! I've got the
        > > mechanical key out, and the lever pressed all the way down, but the
        > > back of the fob will not slide. I have fairly string fingers (I'm a
        > > rock climber), so I'm stumped.
        >
        > Tap the Toyota logo while holding the spring loaded tab in and pushing
        > to slide the Toyota logo cover up toward the spring loaded tab.
        >
        > Dirt and pocket lint finds its way inside to close the tolerances.
        >
        > --
        > David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@...
        > Whom computers would destroy, they must first drive mad.

      • hlschmidt1941
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 11, 2011
          --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, David Kelly <dkelly@...> wrote:

          > After 4-1/2 years and 41,000 miles of reliable service I finally had to
          > replace a Prius battery.
          >
          > Left the car parked for 9 days. On return it didn't work.
          >
          > Did my research as to what was involved. Had a $5 store credit at Best
          > Buy so I picked up a 2-pack of CR2032's. Scrounged for a #0 Philips. Put
          > on my reading glasses and dug into my Smart Key. A YouTube video was
          > very helpful in showing how the cover comes off.
          >
          > Works much better now!
          >
          > Total cost:
          > $5.99 for 2-pack of CR2032's, only one is needed
          > - discount of some sort
          > + sales tax
          > - $5.00 favored customer credit
          > --------
          > less than $1.00
          >
          > David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@...

          Shop around. I picked up a three-pack of 2032s marked "Sunbeam---made in China" (where else?) at Family dollar for 100¢. They'll probably be dead by the time I need one for my Highlander fob. ;-)