Oil change

  • Kyle Davis
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1 5:18 AM
      Ok, you guys have almost talked me into it.

      My question, though relates to ground clearance.

      I want to know how high I really need to jack it up in order to do this operation.

      I have a first generation, if that makes any difference.

      Kyle
      Still bummed about missing out on a $15 oil change.
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1 6:03 AM
        2001 here as well - answer: You do NOT have to jack or raise the car at
        all, and BOTH sump & filter will drain into the same catch-pan. Couldn't be
        easier. Just a finger-tip of fresh oil on the filter gasket, and it's
        recommended that you change the drain plug gasket as well (if only to make
        sure you capture & dispose of the old one). The end-on filter wrench is
        best for the removal, along with a 3/8" ratchet & short extension; and a
        14mm socket for the drain plug.
        Remember to recycle the old oil - usually where you bought the new.
        Pete
        P.S. The $15 oil change could have done more harm than good, so maybe you
        didn't miss much (you won't use vicegrips, will you?).

        On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 7:18 AM, Kyle Davis <kylesnow@...> wrote:

        > Ok, you guys have almost talked me into it.
        >
        > My question, though relates to ground clearance.
        >
        > I want to know how high I really need to jack it up in order to do this
        > operation.
        >
        > I have a first generation, if that makes any difference.
        >
        > Kyle
        > Still bummed about missing out on a $15 oil change._,_.___
        > Reply to sender <kylesnow@...?subject=Re%3A%20Oil%20change> | Reply
        > to group <toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com?subject=Re%3A%20Oil%20change> | Reply
        > 1)
        > Recent Activity:

        > 3
        > - New Photos<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/toyota-prius/spnew;_ylc=X3oDMTJmcjl1ODRkBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE4NDUwMTkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDY0NjI1BHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3ZwaG90BHN0aW1lAzEzMDY5MzI1NjI->
        > 1
        > - New Links<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/toyota-prius/links;_ylc=X3oDMTJnOXN0cmQ4BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzE4NDUwMTkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDY0NjI1BHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3ZsaW5rcwRzdGltZQMxMzA2OTMyNTYy>
        > 1

        > To access group's website features such as Files, Photos, Links, Database
        > and Polls, go to
        > Switch to: Text-Only<toyota-prius-traditional@yahoogroups.com?subject=Change+Delivery+Format:+Traditional>,
        > Daily Digest<toyota-prius-digest@yahoogroups.com?subject=Email+Delivery:+Digest>�
        > of Use <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>
        > .

      • Larry Finch
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 1 6:10 AM
          On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 8:18 AM, Kyle Davis <kylesnow@...> wrote:
          > Ok, you guys have almost talked me into it.
          >
          > My question, though relates to ground clearance.
          >
          > I want to know how high I really need to jack it up in order to do this operation.
          >
          > I have a first generation, if that makes any difference.

          You don't HAVE to jack up the car, but it is a little easier with an
          extra inch or two. I drive the car onto a couple of 2x4 blocks (wide
          side up).

          http://priuschat.com/forums/knowledge-base-articles-discussion/39094-how-change-oil-your-prius-pictures.html

          --
          Larry Finch
          N 40° 53' 47"
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 1 6:25 AM
            On Wed, Jun 01, 2011 at 08:03:21AM -0500, Peter Blackford wrote:
            > 2001 here as well - answer: You do NOT have to jack or raise the car
            > at all, and BOTH sump & filter will drain into the same catch-pan.
            > Couldn't be easier.

            Well, it *could*. The clearance between my 9 quart drain pan and the
            drain plug is almost zero. Pan has to be pushed out of the way to reach
            the drain with ratchet and socket, then plug removed with one hand while
            other is pulling pan into place.

            I have a set of 4 wooden ramps originally built to get my Porsche 928S
            of the ground for oil change. Nowadays mostly used to level the toy
            hauler at campsites. Consists of a 3' 2x10 with a 2' 2x10 nailed on top.
            Pretty easy to drive the Prius front wheels up on. Harder to hit all 4
            at once, plus its not really necessary. The result is only 3" but makes
            things much more pleasant.

            > Remember to recycle the old oil - usually where you bought the new.

            Have found Walmart auto department accepts used motor oil without
            question as to where it was originally purchased.

            Locally our weekly recycle truck picks up used motor oil. Originally
            mandated all used motor oil be placed in gallon milk jugs. That is
            stupid, they'd originally refuse oil placed back in original gallon
            *oil* jugs. Anyway my point is that used motor oil eats milk jug plastic
            so the milk jug is only good for one use and then can not be recycled
            but goes to the dump. But doesn't eat oil jug plastic.

            Ideally we'd just leave our oil drain pan out by the street for them but
            at great risk of losing the oil drain pan. Occasionally my 5 quart
            Mobil-1 jugs disappear from the street.

            > P.S. The $15 oil change could have done more harm than good, so maybe
            > you didn't miss much (you won't use vicegrips, will you?).

            Might find out someone else has already used vise grips and now have
            trouble removing the damaged drain plug.

          • Jerry Gmail
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 1 7:28 AM
              If you change the angle of the car, you are not going to get all the oil
              out.

              Google Jer
              Woodhaven, Mi

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 1 8:38 AM
                On Wed, Jun 01, 2011 at 10:28:03AM -0400, Jerry Gmail wrote:
                > If you change the angle of the car, you are not going to get all the
                > oil out.

                So what? You are never going to get all the oil out. Besides, there
                isn't anything all that wrong with the old.

                3" on 10' isn't all that significant.

                My carport requires a 2-by (1.5") under the south side to park my toy
                hauler RV level. I don't bother to make the same compensation when
                changing oil but it bugs me when working inside the trailer.

              • Dan
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 2 11:36 AM
                  If you get the gallon (or is it 5 qt) bottle of Mobile one from Wally World (walmart) you can save some money. Also the one I got was the acceptable one, and the guys on the technical list proved that you can go much longer with Mobile one then the factory oil changes (they have the oil lab tested for $10 or so).
                  what I wanted to say was, I figured out how to use auto ramps with the prius, put a 2x6 cross the front of the two ramps, or 2short peices of 2x4 lengthwise in front of the ramp, slightly on it.

                  then just drive the prius on the wood, then up the ramp. It is the first rise that Prius does not make on ramps.

                  Another trick is to drive one wheel up your driveway leaving one tire on the curb and the rest in the street.

                  Re: Oil change
                  Posted by: "Larry Finch" finches@...   lfinch_prolifics
                  Wed Jun 1, 2011 6:10 am (PDT)

                  On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 8:18 AM, Kyle Davis <kylesnow@att. net> wrote:
                  > Ok, you guys have almost talked me into it.
                  >
                  > My question, though relates to ground clearance.
                  >
                  > I want to know how high I really need to jack it up in order to do this operation.
                  >
                  > I have a first generation, if that makes any difference.

                  You don't HAVE to jack up the car, but it is a little easier with an
                  extra inch or two. I drive the car onto a couple of 2x4 blocks (wide
                  side up).

                • Felix
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 2 8:22 PM
                    --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, Dan <hyattdj@...> wrote:

                    >Mobile one

                    Mobile is a city, being movable, or a decoration for a baby.

                    Mobil is an oil company.