Re: When do you know it is time to replace the battery on the 2005 Toyota

  • jeffrey_denenberg
    Message 1 of 8 , May 31, 2011
      Doc,

      You get HV Voltage (using an xGauge)along with three other parameters out of a set of nearly 100 with a ScanGauge ($160). I watch 12v, HV volts, HV current, and HV temperature with mine. Most of these are xGauges that you program into a ScanGauge using instructions available on PriusChat.

      JeffD (also a Doc, but in Engineering)

      --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "docaaron1" <docaaron1@...> wrote:

      > I wish Toyota would put on the dash a volt meter showing the voltage of the 12Volt system and the Hi-Volt system. Nothing fancy just a couple digital readouts would do. It would be nice eye candy to see especially in a semi-electric car.
      >
      > I glance at my 12 Volt plug-in meter and notice how the voltage edges up in hot weather and down in cold weather a few 100ths of a volt.
      >
      > Since the 12 volt battery doesn't crank the engine we don't get the audio feedback of a dying 12 volt battery. A volt meter might give us a good hint when to change the 12 volt battery.
      >
      > Aaron
      > 123K miles
      > '02 Prius
      > Plug-in volt meter
      > bought from Amazon.com
      >

      > --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "jeffrey_denenberg" <jeffrey.denenberg@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Actually the module voltage at normal SOC (about 60%) level is 7.6 volts so multiply by 28 and you get about 213 volts. When a module is fully charged (doesn't happen in a Prius) it gets to about 8v or 224 volts for the HV battery.
      > >
      > > JeffD
      > >
      > > --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "Felix" <danielthechskid@> wrote:

      > > > Where did you get 220 from? NHW20 is 201.6 volts nominal and NHW11 is 273.6 nominal.
      > > >
      > > > Perhaps you meant real world voltage? I have come to learn that the nominal open circuit voltage usually means where it is almost dead. Lead acid 12v is less than half remaining at 12.0 (2.0 volts per cell), Li-Ion is almost dead at 3.6 or 3.7, etc.

    • hlschmidt1941
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2011
        --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "jeffrey_denenberg" <jeffrey.denenberg@...> wrote:

        > Doc,
        >
        > You get HV Voltage (using an xGauge)along with three other parameters out of a set of nearly 100 with a ScanGauge ($160). I watch 12v, HV volts, HV current, and HV temperature with mine. Most of these are xGauges that you program into a ScanGauge using instructions available on PriusChat.
        >
        > JeffD (also a Doc, but in Engineering)
        >
        > --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "docaaron1" <docaaron1@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I wish Toyota would put on the dash a volt meter showing the voltage of the 12Volt system and the Hi-Volt system. Nothing fancy just a couple digital readouts would do. It would be nice eye candy to see especially in a semi-electric car.
        > >
        > > I glance at my 12 Volt plug-in meter and notice how the voltage edges up in hot weather and down in cold weather a few 100ths of a volt.
        > >
        > > Since the 12 volt battery doesn't crank the engine we don't get the audio feedback of a dying 12 volt battery. A volt meter might give us a good hint when to change the 12 volt battery.
        > >
        > > Aaron
        > > 123K miles
        > > '02 Prius
        > > Plug-in volt meter
        > > bought from Amazon.com

        Graham's Ecrostech Miniscanner will read also out the lo- and hi-V values of your '02. Of course, the device is only available used. With the car in "Ready" mode, the 12V read-out is always 13.8V in my '02. The hi-V varies anywhere between c. 275-310, IIRC, but don't quote me on that one. Nominal voltage on the hi-V is 38x7.2=273.6. I agree that a switchable( hi-lo) VM on the dash would be a great convenience. I've programmed my Ecrostech to read DC amps, DC volts (hi), ICE rpms, and engine coolant temperature (usually c. 85ÂșC). Many other data are selectable. I don't know how often the Miniscanner shows up on the auction site; I think Graham only made <200, but owners of "retired" Classics may offer them from time to time.
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 1, 2011
          On Wed, Jun 01, 2011 at 04:38:53PM -0000, hlschmidt1941 wrote:

          > Graham's Ecrostech Miniscanner will read also out the lo- and hi-V
          > values of your '02. Of course, the device is only available used.

          Anyone know what a Garmin ecoRoute HD displays on a Prius?
          https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=38354

        • Mike Dimmick
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 5, 2011

            Wayne Brown did some measurements which you can find represented graphically
            at http://www.eaa-phev.org/wiki/Image:Index.54.jpg

            The numbers on the left are the transition points as the battery discharges,
            those on the right (higher) as it recharges, taking account of the fact that
            battery chemistry tends to relax a bit after charging.

            213V wouldn't even hit the second purple bar according to this. If it was
            charging, 224V would show as about half-way - if discharging, six out of
            eight bars.

            See also http://privatenrg.com/#Full_SOC

            When the car shows eight out of eight bars, it's still only about 81%
            charged - and at this point the battery could be up to 238.5V, or about
            8.52V per module, 1.42V per cell.

            --
            Mike Dimmick