Re: Hybrid system warning light on, then off

  • hlschmidt1941
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 10, 2011
      --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "mstevendickerson" <msdickerson@...> wrote:

      > If they charge 89$ for reading the codes, you can get a code reader for not much more. Pays for itself many times over...
      >
      > I have been using one for at least 10 years now, and I cannot say how many times I have saved myself bucks for something like a loose gas cap code... etc..
      >
      > You do need to know the code, then come back here and ask what the Pxxxx code really could mean.
      >
      > steve d
      > 02 super white 232,000 miles
      >
      > --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "Jim R" <dadworld@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Last night, my 2002 Classic, 137k miles displayed the hybrid system warning light. After a few restarts, it went away and as of this morning, still driving fine.
      > >
      > > I thought I heard Pep Boys would read the computer codes for free, and went over. (Now I see an Aamco ad that says they will read the code for free). The Pep Boys service rep said it would be $89 diagnostic, but when I said the warning light was gone, he said I should just wait until it comes back.
      > >
      > > On the way home I thought if I'm going to pay to diagnose it, I should just go to the dealer as that's where the Prius mechanics are. But if the computer stores the codes until cleared, shouldn't I get them read now, or at least cleared now, so spurious leftover codes don't muddy the waters when things finally start failing later on?

      Unless something has changed that I'm not aware of, the only code reader, aside from Toyota's, that will read DTC info on a Classic Prius is Graham's Ecrostech scanner. I've had one ever since he offered them (c. eight+ years ago). Unfortunately, he only made so many, and they quickly sold out. As one example of its abilities, it will give the high and low voltages among the 19 battery pairs in the HV battery. Each pair is a nominal 14.4V, but readings typically fall between 15-16V. Since we know that wide voltage deviation in cell components will trigger a code (and probable impending failure of the HV), it is reassuring to learn that the hi-lo range on my '02 HV is on the order of 2/10s of a volt.

      If you can find someone with a Graham scanner, you could get a readout of the codes from that. Tell us where you are located and maybe some member here will come to the rescue.
    • Steve Goldfield
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 10, 2011
        This used to happen to me, and when I would take
        my Prius to my Toyota dealer, he would tell me that
        there was no saved code. Later, I had to replace my
        computer just out of warranty. Since I had reported
        it well within warranty, Toyota agreed to pay for half
        the cost. I'm not sure if the computer is involved in
        storing codes, but it was clearly a sign of a malfunction
        that the codes would appear--sometimes I went into the
        reduced speed mode when the code appeared while driving
        on the freeway, which can be dangerous.

        Steve Goldfield

      • Jim R
        Message 3 of 6 , May 27, 2011
          It happened again a couple of weeks ago and again last night for the 3rd time.

          I went back to Pep Boys with the warning (Triangle of Death?) still on this time
          and asked again if they would read the codes for free. To summarize our short
          conversation:

          - We can pull the codes for free but it requires an $89 diagnostic to tell you
          the codes
          - Why would I bother to have you read the codes if you don't tell them to me?
          - There might be more than one. If there are 3 we will tell you there are 3
          codes.
          - You can tell me how many codes there are but not what they are? Sounds great.

          and I left. Again, the warning went away after restarting the car a couple more
          times.

          But I see in someone else's post the Toyota dealers would charge $100 just to read the codes?

          Message 4 of 6 , May 27, 2011
            This time it had the turtle as well. Another restart and the triangle and turtle went away, leaving just the the check engine light. Drove it to Autozone and got the code - P3191, with probable causes
            -Check other codes
            -Fuel system fault
            -Engine mechanical fault
            -Air intake or exhaust fault

            I see I had this a couple of years ago and tried throttle body cleaner altho I didn't see anything I would call "gunk".

            And reading the code just took a minute, and completely free.