126K mile Prius with problems - help asap?

  • Dianne Whitmire
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 19 11:40 AM
      June Blender, one of our own, is having trouble with her 2001 Prius
      (Sparky) and here are the issues:

      She is in Utah @ St George (Wade) Toyota dealer

      Cat Converter - needs replacement
      Battery diagnostic tests - they want 500 bucks to do the tests.

      and she needs help with codes:
      P0302
      P0420
      P1455
      P3000
      P3009

      Anyone knowledgeable? Good advice? Call or email her!!
      Help with codes, and an email address / phone # to reply to:
      425-381-0872

      juneblender@...

      Her car's battery was replaced at 30K miles by Toyota in the early
      days... and warranty was extended another 100K miles at that time.

      :-) Dianne Whitmire
      Fleet Director and Internet Manager
      Manhattan Beach Toyota|Scion

      310-939-7801 office
      949 689 0717 cel
      707-202-3618 eFAX

    • Alastair Westgarth
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 19 11:52 AM
        I am confused!

        If she has 126K miles on it and her warranty was extended by another 100K miles when she got her battery replaced at 30K miles isn't she under warranty for the battery anyway to 130K miles?

        --
        Thx
        Alastair Westgarth

        On Jan 19, 2011, at 1:40 PM, Dianne Whitmire wrote:

        > June Blender, one of our own, is having trouble with her 2001 Prius
        > (Sparky) and here are the issues:
        >
        > She is in Utah @ St George (Wade) Toyota dealer
        >
        > Cat Converter - needs replacement
        > Battery diagnostic tests - they want 500 bucks to do the tests.
        >
        > and she needs help with codes:
        > P0302
        > P0420
        > P1455
        > P3000
        > P3009
        >
        > Anyone knowledgeable? Good advice? Call or email her!!
        > Help with codes, and an email address / phone # to reply to:
        > 425-381-0872
        >
        > juneblender@...
        >
        > Her car's battery was replaced at 30K miles by Toyota in the early
        > days... and warranty was extended another 100K miles at that time.
        >
        > :-) Dianne Whitmire
        > Fleet Director and Internet Manager
        > Manhattan Beach Toyota|Scion
        >
        > 310-939-7801 office
        > 949 689 0717 cel
        > 707-202-3618 eFAX

      • Dianne Whitmire
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 19 12:01 PM
          Yes, it was sold by me in California.
          But, the client lived in WA state at the time,
          car was registered to WA for a decade and then June moved to Utah.

          At 11:53 AM 1/19/2011, Frank Roche wrote:
          >For cars sold in Ca
          >PZEV (Partial Zero Emission Vehicles) Certified
          >Vehicles ­ for information visit - http://www.driveclean.ca.gov
          >covers emission-related parts 15 years / 150K miles
          >CCR §1962 Defects Warranty energy storage device (battery)10 years
          >
          >Was the car first sold in California and then taken to Utah?
          >
          >OK it's a long shot but....
        • Frank Roche
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 19 12:07 PM
            I think the warranty statement is for cars SOLD in California (when new)
            and does not make any statement as to where it is registered or operated...
            Might be enough of a technicality to get the CAT replaced under warranty....
            Any one have any (based in reality) legal opinions?

            Frank

            On 1/19/2011 12:01 PM, Dianne Whitmire wrote:
            > Yes, it was sold by me in California.
            > But, the client lived in WA state at the time,
            > car was registered to WA for a decade and then June moved to Utah.
            >

            > At 11:53 AM 1/19/2011, Frank Roche wrote:
            >> For cars sold in Ca
            >> PZEV (Partial Zero Emission Vehicles) Certified
            >> Vehicles ­ for information visit - http://www.driveclean.ca.gov
            >> covers emission-related parts 15 years / 150K miles
            >> CCR §1962 Defects Warranty energy storage device (battery)10 years
            >>
            >> Was the car first sold in California and then taken to Utah?
            >>
            >> OK it's a long shot but....

            > -----
            > No virus found in this message.

            Thanks
            Frank

            PS
            Need Flowers?
            Call JJ's Sweet Paradise Flowers
            760-758-5555
            www.uneedflowers.com
            (Its my wifes shop!!)
          • Dianne Whitmire
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 19 12:15 PM
              It was never registered in CA so it won't fly.
              :-) All of the cars are built the same, but 2
              states had longer emissions issue warranties - NJ and CA.

              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 19 12:27 PM
                On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 11:40:56AM -0800, Dianne Whitmire wrote:

                > Cat Converter - needs replacement

                At this point don't think there is justification to replace the
                catalytic converter.

                > Battery diagnostic tests - they want 500 bucks to do the tests.

                Why test the battery? I smell the age-old fallacy of the notion that
                because a Prius has a traction battery that conventional cars lack, that
                everything Prius must be related to that battery.

                > and she needs help with codes:
                > P0302

                Misfire on cylinder #2.

                > P0420

                Catalytic converter is not operating correctly. Its not going to operate
                correctly if a misfiring cylinder is throwing raw fuel at it.

                > P1455

                That one has to do with the gas tank and can be as simple as the gas
                cap.

                > P3000
                > P3009

                Those are generally related to the HV battery.

                But lets go back to the basics. Cylinder #2 is misfiring. Fix that.
                Clear the codes. See what happens. All the other problems may simply go
                away.

              • Bob
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 19 4:45 PM
                  Mostly, I agree with one minor detail.

                  --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, David Kelly <dkelly@...> wrote:

                  . . .
                  > > Battery diagnostic tests - they want 500 bucks to do the tests.
                  >
                  > Why test the battery? I smell the age-old fallacy of the notion that
                  > because a Prius has a traction battery that conventional cars lack, that
                  > everything Prius must be related to that . .

                  > > P3009

                  This is the ground fault probably finding a minor electrolyte leak to ground. Often enough, damp weather can bring it on. It is smoething to clear and see if it comes back but nothing to get too alarmed about.

                  Bob Wilson
                • d.scribe
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 28 6:01 PM
                    Huge thanks to everyone who offered suggestions. As you advised, I started by troubleshooting the misfiring on cylinder 2 (P0302). I had them replace the spark plugs, clear the code, and test the car again.

                    They just completed the repair and -- voila! -- no new codes. The repair cost a total of $251, instead of the $1500 for the catalytic converter + $4K for the main battery, or worse, deciding not to fix the car at all.

                    This might not be the end of the problems, because it's an older car, but it demonstrates the value of groups like this one and the availability of knowledgeable people who are willing to help.

                    I'll be picking up Sparkky tomorrow.

                    Thanks to all,
                    June
                    Mom to Sparkky
                    2001 Classic Toyota Prius

                    --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, Dianne Whitmire <dianne@...> wrote:

                    > June Blender, one of our own, is having trouble with her 2001 Prius
                    > (Sparky) and here are the issues:
                    >
                    > She is in Utah @ St George (Wade) Toyota dealer
                    >

                    > Cat Converter - needs replacement
                    > Battery diagnostic tests - they want 500 bucks to do the tests.
                    >
                    > and she needs help with codes:
                    > P0302
                    > P0420
                    > P1455
                    > P3000
                    > P3009
                    >
                    > Anyone knowledgeable? Good advice? Call or email her!!
                    > Help with codes, and an email address / phone # to reply to:
                    > 425-381-0872
                    >
                    > juneblender@...
                    >
                    > Her car's battery was replaced at 30K miles by Toyota in the early
                    > days... and warranty was extended another 100K miles at that time.
                    >
                    > :-) Dianne Whitmire
                    > Fleet Director and Internet Manager
                    > Manhattan Beach Toyota|Scion
                    >
                    > 310-939-7801 office
                    > 949 689 0717 cel
                    > 707-202-3618 eFAX

                  • honolulusnowwhite
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 29 6:51 AM
                      Hi June,

                      Glad to hear that no new codes currently appear. However, I agree with your statement below that the problems may not be done. It is likely that the high voltage ground fault causing P3009 still exists and will eventually reappear.

                      However, the car can still be driven with that particular fault, so this should give you a chance to return home and think about whether it makes sense to spend $$$$ to address that issue, or just drive the car as-is, until driveability issues appear. Good luck.

                      Patrick Wong

                      --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "d.scribe" <d.scribe@...> wrote:

                      > ...They just completed the repair and -- voila! -- no new codes. The repair cost a total of $251, instead of the $1500 for the catalytic converter + $4K for the main battery, or worse, deciding not to fix the car at all.
                      >
                      > This might not be the end of the problems...
                      >
                      > --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, Dianne Whitmire <dianne@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > June Blender, one of our own, is having trouble with her 2001 Prius
                      > > (Sparky) and here are the issues:
                      > >
                      > > She is in Utah @ St George (Wade) Toyota dealer
                      > >

                      > > Cat Converter - needs replacement
                      > > Battery diagnostic tests - they want 500 bucks to do the tests.
                      > >
                      > > and she needs help with codes:
                      > > P0302
                      > > P0420
                      > > P1455
                      > > P3000
                      > > P3009
                    • docaaron1
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 30 9:53 AM
                        Here is a simple tip on how to locate the general source of the P3009 code:

                        "Prius P3009 High voltage leak code
                        I want to share a simple, but very accurate method of determining the source of high voltage leak codes on the Toyota Prius.
                        The first step is to clear the P3009 trouble code and then turn the key or push button to key on/not ready mode, wait 30 seconds and if the code comes back, the leak is in the battery case. If the code does not set, turn key or push button to "ready mode" and immediately shift to neutral and stay this mode for 30 seconds. If the code returns, the leak is in the power cables or inverter. If the code did not set, shift to drive and if the code resets now, the leak is in the transaxle. This is something that can be done in about minutes with a scan tool while never removing any components and not leaving the driver seat."

                        http://workshop.search-autoparts.com/_Prius-P3009-High-voltage-leak-code/blog/1620036/31710.html

                        If the code is coming from the battery, here's a site that deals with that:
                        http://lusciousgarage.com/blog/toyota_hybrids_p3009_high_voltage_leak_detected_internal_to_battery/

                        There was one other site that felt the P3009 code be triggered by an aging 12V battery but I could not find it on the web anymore.

                        I'm still driving with my original battery 4K miles after my original P3009, P3000 codes.
                        Good luck in your decisions.

                        Aaron
                        120K miles
                        '02 Prius