sounds...

    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 24, 2010
      Personally, I prefer the earlier requirement that each vehicle be preceded by a man on foot, carrying a red lantern & blowing a horn...

      http://www.ecnmag.com/News/2010/08/Prius-gets-sound-option-to-protect-pedestrians/

      OTOH, pedestrians should also be prohibited from using Ipods !
    • docaaron1
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 25, 2010
        Pete, personally I would prefer the Jetson car sounds.

        Maybe Toyota could also combine this pedestrian warning signal option with an ultrasonic electric deer whistle, two for one.

        Aaron

        > http://www.ecnmag.com/News/2010/08/Prius-gets-sound-option-to-protect-pedestrians/
      • Douglas A. Stansfield
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 25, 2010
          Turns out that after studying the actual facts on the Pedestrians killed by moving cars that there are only an average of 2 or less deaths reported in the most recent years of data and that the deaths occurred at speeds way over 20 mph. Thus an up to 20 mph noise is just that. Noise and annoying. Creating a problem where none exist.

          If you want the white paper on this, I have it somewhere.

          Sincerely;

          Douglas A. Stansfield

          President

          www.TransAtlanticElectricConversions.com

          973-875-6276 (office)

          973-670-9208 (cell)

          973-440-1619 (fax)

          ELECTRIC CAR PRODUCERS

          Personally, I prefer the earlier requirement that each vehicle be preceded by a man on foot, carrying a red lantern & blowing a horn...

          http://www.ecnmag.com/News/2010/08/Prius-gets-sound-option-to-protect-pedestrians/

          OTOH, pedestrians should also be prohibited from using Ipods !

        • Paul Lawler
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 25, 2010
            On Aug 25, 2010, at 03:08 , docaaron1 wrote:

            > Pete, personally I would prefer the Jetson car sounds.
            >
            > Maybe Toyota could also combine this pedestrian warning signal option with an ultrasonic electric deer whistle, two for one.

            Right… because ultrasonic deer whistles are so very effective.

            NOT ;o)
          • docaaron1
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 26, 2010
              I just concluded I want my future Prius to play the theme from Jaws.

              Watch the Prius link, turn off the sound and play one of the Jaws themes over it. Don't worry about syncing it up especially the 1st listed Jaws theme music. It comes out different each time.

              Prius with new sound effect
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Vy42zphNp4&feature=player_embedded

              Jaws themes
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLAYvjaGGqM&feature=related

              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvCI-gNK_y4

              Aaron
              '02 Prius
              116K miles
            • Ed
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 26, 2010
                Aaron wrote: Prius with new sound effect:
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Vy42zphNp4&feature=player_embedded

                I'd think that would be darned annoying to the driver and everybody in his neighborhood after about the first 10 minutes.

                Ed
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 26, 2010
                  On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 03:43:44PM -0000, docaaron1 wrote:
                  > I just concluded I want my future Prius to play the theme from Jaws.

                  *I* want the pop-pop-pop sound George Jetson's car makes!

                • Walter Lee
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 27, 2010
                    It sounds like a the sound effects for a flying saucer
                    in a 1950's sci-fi movie.

                    I donot think an external warning sound for driving
                    forward would enhance pedestrian safety;
                    however, an external warning sound  while
                    moving in reverse might enhance safety in general.

                    If a warning sound is above a certain noise level
                    it may also violate local zoning laws.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 27, 2010
                      I don't think that having a sound will make any difference. I had a
                      non-hybrid rental and was slowly driving in a parking lot behind a couple of
                      guys on cell phones. They had no idea that I was there and wouldn't get out
                      of the way.

                      Kathy in Severn, MD
                      '02 Silver, '04 Seaside BC9

                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 27, 2010
                        On Aug 27, 2010, at 5:54 AM, Kathleen Yonts wrote:

                        > I don't think that having a sound will make any difference. I had a
                        > non-hybrid rental and was slowly driving in a parking lot behind a couple of
                        > guys on cell phones. They had no idea that I was there and wouldn't get out
                        > of the way.

                        I completely agree. Spend some time listening in a mall parking lot. My hearing is good but most cars would be too close before I could hear them over the ambient noise.

                        "Bell the hybrid" is one of those stupid ideas that get into bureaucrat's heads that we can't seem to knock out.