RE: [toyota-prius] Re: 2010

  • Chris Wells
    Message 1 of 22 , May 31, 2010
      My 2010 is a model V too but it doesn't have the fancy cruise.

      The low profile wheels give it a futuristic look but I do worry with the pot
      holes I travel over in SW Pa.

      The turning radius is adequate for me.

      The handling is tighter than previous models but it still wallows in the
      corners.

      Leather seats with manual adjustments seems like a mixed offering.

      I suppose they rationalized it on saving weight.

      I agree that the front air dam is a too low.

      It looks good but I am always paranoid coming up to park to stay clear of
      the curb.

      The one extra I wish I had is the solar powered roof vent.

      Chris

      _____

      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 2, 2010
        I just did a trip from Maryland to Michigan on my 2010 Prius III.

        To get the maximum mpg the Prius MPG bar needs
        to stay  at 100 mpg for as long as possible - when
        driving the Prius at 15 degree incline upward I had
        to switch to Power Mode (Eco Mode made the Prius
        sort of die out ) in PA but going downhill I could
        switch back to Eco Mod again.  My average speed
        with Toll-route ( OH/PA Turnpike) was 53 mpg and
        I got an aggregate 61 mpg.  Using non- toll route
        my average speed was about 53 mpg and I got an
        aggregate 55 mpg.  The Prius feels a little dicey
        when going downhill at +75mph on a curve in PA
        and if  the car was going any faster I was worried
        that the rear end  may fish tail

        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 2, 2010
          On Wed, Jun 02, 2010 at 07:27:55AM -0700, Walter Lee wrote:
          > I just did a trip from Maryland to Michigan on my 2010 Prius III.
          > ??
          > To get the maximum mpg??the Prius MPG bar needs to stay ??at 100 mpg
          > for as long as possible

          Incorrect.

          15 MPG bursts will allow one to keep the gauge at 100 MPG longer but the
          net effect will be lower MPG. Is probably best to do nothing exceptional
          and stay in the 35 MPG to 75 MPG range for best overall average MPG.

          If you drive so as to maximize the time spent at 100 MPG you will spend
          more time at 15 MPG than if you chill and just let it do what it would
          on its own. As owner of a 2007 I don't think 61 MPG is exceptional for
          53 MPH average. I can easily get 47 MPG on a 62 MPH average driving 70
          MPH.

        • Walter Lee
          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 2, 2010
            On the PA turnpike, I tried pushing up the MPG bar
            by pressing the accelerator and then letting go hoping
            that the 15 MPG burst would hold but but unless
            the car is going downhill the MPG bar would just
            drop back down.  I got 60.8 mpg on this trip.
            The trip computer reported the average MPH at 53 mph -
            while most of the driving was from 60 to 70 mph.

            Going up hill in PA I had to set the Prius to Power
            mode just to keep up with the traffic. Downhill
            I could put the Prius in Eco Mode and still
            keep up with traffic -- and it was during
            these extended downhill highway sections
            that I was playing around with trying to
            extend time the Prius was at this "100 MPG"
            mark.

            I also drove the Prius for an extend time
            using the cruise control and  with the Eco mode on.
            When going uphill with the the cruise control
            and Eco mode on, the Prius will sometime
            temporarily turn off the Eco mode when it needs
            more power to keep the Prius at the correct
            speed.

            On Wed, Jun 02, 2010 at 07:27:55AM -0700, Walter Lee wrote:
            > I just did a trip from Maryland to Michigan on my 2010 Prius III.
            > ??
            > To get the maximum mpg??the Prius MPG bar needs to stay ??at 100 mpg
            > for as long as possible

            Incorrect.

            15 MPG bursts will allow one to keep the gauge at 100 MPG longer but the
            net effect will be lower MPG. Is probably best to do nothing exceptional
            and stay in the 35 MPG to 75 MPG range for best overall average MPG.

            If you drive so as to maximize the time spent at 100 MPG you will spend
            more time at 15 MPG than if you chill and just let it do what it would
            on its own. As owner of a 2007 I don't think 61 MPG is exceptional for
            53 MPH average. I can easily get 47 MPG on a 62 MPH average driving 70
            MPH.

          • Earle Jones
            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 3, 2010
              On Jun 2, 2010, at 1:09 PM, David Kelly wrote:

              > On Wed, Jun 02, 2010 at 07:27:55AM -0700, Walter Lee wrote:
              > > I just did a trip from Maryland to Michigan on my 2010 Prius III.
              > > ??
              > > To get the maximum mpg??the Prius MPG bar needs to stay ??at 100 mpg
              > > for as long as possible
              >
              > Incorrect.
              >
              > 15 MPG bursts will allow one to keep the gauge at 100 MPG longer but the
              > net effect will be lower MPG. Is probably best to do nothing exceptional
              > and stay in the 35 MPG to 75 MPG range for best overall average MPG.
              >
              > If you drive so as to maximize the time spent at 100 MPG you will spend
              > more time at 15 MPG than if you chill and just let it do what it would
              > on its own. As owner of a 2007 I don't think 61 MPG is exceptional for
              > 53 MPH average. I can easily get 47 MPG on a 62 MPH average driving 70
              > MPH.

              *
              My '05 Prius has a long-term average of 49.5 MPG for about 95,000 miles -- about half highway, half city.

              Cheers!

              earle
              *

              ________________________
              Earle Jones 
              501 Portola Road #8008
              Portola Valley CA 94028
              Home: 650-424-4362
              Cell: 650-269-0035
              earle.jones@...
            • Chris Wells
              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 3, 2010
                I heard about a technique that claims an advantage over steady speed.
                The idea is to minimize the time the gas engine is on.
                The premise is that the gas engine running continuously consumes more than modest bursts of acceleration.

                One accelerates to ~ 60 mph and then cost down to 40 mph.
                Keeping ones foot on the gas petal just enough to keep the system from going into regen. Then repeat as needed. I assume the acceleration should be modest trying to keep in "Eco" mode. There are a number of practical issues here like not pissing off those behind you and having a relatively flat road to do it on.

                My 2010 regularly gets 51 mpg in warm weather with ~ 70% highway miles at ~ 70MPH. That is with out trying anything abby normal.
                During the winter that dropped down to ~ 45 or worse.

                Chris

                *

                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 5, 2010
                  I like a clean under the hood look in my cars especially my Prius and all
                  the hybrid extras.

                  On a regular car I would power wash the compartment.

                  But on the Prius even with it off I suspect I would be risking some issues
                  with the battery voltage.

                  Those orange silicon covered cables look great when dry or modest road mist
                  etc. but I think I would be pushing it with a power wash.

                  So I may just hand clean obvious areas and live with the grime. :-(

                  Your thoughts?

                  Chris

                  Message 8 of 22 , Jun 5, 2010
                    Yes, "pulse driving" is a well documented technique for maximizing economy which has been used by competitors in mpg events for many years. Just not too practical if there's any other traffic on the roads!

                    >From: Chris Wells <radioactive55man@...>
                    >
                    >I heard about a technique that claims an advantage over steady speed.
                    >The idea is to minimize the time the gas engine is on.
                    >The premise is that the gas engine running continuously consumes more than modest bursts of acceleration.
                    >
                    >One accelerates to ~ 60 mph and then cost down to 40 mph.
                    <snip>
                  • Walter Lee
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jun 5, 2010
                      The appropiate opportunity for P&G
                      =============================

                      from what I've read and experimented with - the hypermiling technique
                      Pulse and Glide (P&G) is more practical/possible when the difference
                      between the top and low speed is less than 10 mph, gliding is done
                      going downhill or a flat road, Pulsing is done going uphill or on a flat
                      road, the P&G gets its best efficiency when done over  40 mph and
                      lower than 55mph ( when wind resistance is less of an energy
                      efficiency  factor),  there are two lanes or more and the P&G vehicle is
                      on the right/slow  lane,and there isnot  alot of  traffic on the road
                      so the P&G vehicle does not cause any traffic problems.

                      P&G Hypermiling Technique for the 2010 Prius

                      During the Glide mode if the Prius is not gaining too much
                      speed due to downhill forces  the driver must press the
                      accelerator slightly to prevent regenerative braking/motor
                      charge mode (and drag the car to a slow speed) - on
                      the hybrid system indicator (HSI) this would translate
                      to being on the leftmost side of the ECO bar  but
                      not going over to the CHG bar.  If the Prius is gaining
                      too much speed, take your foot off the accelator and
                      allow the regenerative braking to automatically kick in
                      OR press the brake to increase the regenerative braking
                      levels on the CHG bar.  During the Pulse mode -
                      the optimum position( but not always possible) position on the
                      HSI display would be on press the accelerator to the top
                      speed while keeping on the right side of the ECO bar but not
                      on the POWER bar.

                      Message 10 of 22 , Jun 5, 2010
                        Well, I would not pressure wash under the hood of any car. That said, Prius is not any more or less susceptible to damage than any other. The HV wiring is not only isolated from the batteries by relays, but all connections are o-ring sealed. So, pressure wash if that's your habit, but I'd recommend re-evaluation of that approach for all your cars.

                        Pete
                      • Paul Lawler
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jun 5, 2010
                          On Jun 3, 2010, at 12:54 , Chris Wells wrote:

                          > The idea is to minimize the time the gas engine is on.
                          > One accelerates to ~ 60 mph and then cost down to 40 mph.
                          > Keeping ones foot on the gas petal just enough to keep the system from going into regen. Then repeat as needed. I assume the acceleration should be modest trying to keep in "Eco" mode.

                          Right concept, but that execution will get you nothing. The gas engine spins at any speed over 42 mph. So what you actually want to do is accelerate to 41 and then coast down to 20 mph.

                          > There are a number of practical issues here like not pissing off those behind you and having a relatively flat road to do it on.

                          Actually, gently rolling hills have been proven to produce the best mileage. You accelerate up them and get a longer coast time going down.
                        • Paul Lawler
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jun 5, 2010
                            On Jun 5, 2010, at 09:54 , Peter Blackford wrote:

                            > Well, I would not pressure wash under the hood of any car.

                            Amen
                          • Chris Wells
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jun 5, 2010
                              Are the relays back in the battery compartment area?

                              I figured I'd get some reaction about power washing. I do take some
                              precautions but most modern engines and accessories under the hood can
                              handle it if you use some common senses. I stay away from the fuse box and
                              the ECM and don't aim at the dip stick tube etc. Also my power wash is not
                              much more than a hose pressure....

                              Chris

                              Message 14 of 22 , Jun 6, 2010
                                The HV relay is in the HV battery case itself, as a safety measure. When it
                                is open there is no HV anywhere in the car except the battery case. 12V
                                relays are in the fuse block under the hood, and should not be exposed to
                                water.

                                best,
                                Larry

                                On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 8:50 PM, Chris Wells <radioactive55man@...>wrote:

                                > Are the relays back in the battery compartment area?
                                >
                                > I figured I'd get some reaction about power washing. I do take some
                                > precautions but most modern engines and accessories under the hood can
                                > handle it if you use some common senses. I stay away from the fuse box and
                                > the ECM and don't aim at the dip stick tube etc. Also my power wash is not
                                > much more than a hose pressure....
                                >
                                > Chris

                                Larry Finch

                                N 40° 53' 47"
                                W 74° 03' 56"

                              • Chris Wells
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jun 6, 2010
                                  Thanks Larry and Peter for giving me some useful feedback without spinning
                                  too deep on the morals of hosing down the engine compartment :-)

                                  Chris

                                  _____

                                  <mailto:radioactive55man%40comcast.net> >wrote:

                                  > Are the relays back in the battery compartment area?
                                  >
                                  > I figured I'd get some reaction about power washing. I do take some
                                  > precautions but most modern engines and accessories under the hood can
                                  > handle it if you use some common senses. I stay away from the fuse box and
                                  > the ECM and don't aim at the dip stick tube etc. Also my power wash is not
                                  > much more than a hose pressure....
                                  >
                                  > Chris

                                  Larry Finch

                                  N 40° 53' 47"
                                  W 74° 03' 56"

                                • Dan
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jun 7, 2010
                                    Often Power washing on a light setting is sufficent. Remember the abuse the underside gets from the road.I
                                    When I power wash my cars, I usually cover the alternator and distributer an that is it. only had a problem not covering the distributer and it would not start...

                                    As long as you dont go crazy on the power washer, it should do a nice job cleaning your engine regularly.

                                    Mechanical shops all the time pay the $7 an hour kid to "steam clean" powerwash your car..and charge you $35-$50

                                    Re: Cleaning engine compartment :-O
                                    Posted by: "Chris
                                    Wells" radioactive55man@... radiomania47
                                    Sun Jun 6, 2010 6:51 am (PDT)

[...]

                                    Dan
                                    949 813 4271

                                  • Larry Finch
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jun 9, 2010
                                      On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 12:48 PM, Dan <hyattdj@...> wrote:

                                      > Often Power washing on a light setting is sufficent. Remember the abuse the
                                      > underside gets from the road.I
                                      > When I power wash my cars, I usually cover the alternator and distributer
                                      > an that is it. only had a problem not covering the distributer and it would
                                      > not start...
                                      >
                                      > Not a problem on a Prius; there is no alternator and no distributor. I
                                      would be careful around the inverter (that big metal cover next to the
                                      engine). I think it has a gasket, but getting water in it would ruin your
                                      whole day. Likewise, avoid the igniter coils on top of the spark plugs.
                                      There is very little exposed in the Prius engine compartment - which can be
                                      a problem when trying to change spark plugs and other work on other engine
                                      components.

                                      The ECM is in the cabin behind the dash, so it is not at risk. The battery
                                      ECU is also hidden away in a safe place.

                                      When washing the car (not the engine) avoid spraying into the auxiliary
                                      battery vent. Toyota recommends putting tape over it when going through a
                                      car wash, as water that goes in through the vent will end up in the bottom
                                      of the rear fender.

                                      best,
                                      Larry
                                      --
                                      Larry Finch

                                      N 40° 53' 47"
                                      W 74° 03' 56"

                                    • Larry Finch
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jun 26, 2010
                                        Right side of the car behind the rear door.

                                        --
                                        Larry Finch

                                        N 40° 53' 47"
                                        W 74° 03' 56"