Re: [toyota-prius] Digest Number 7584

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2010
      California purchased cars battery is warrantied for 10 years or 150,000 miles.

      But on the Prius technical list, used traction batteries are about $500 give or take. They are not as scarey as you are led to believe.
      And the bad batteries are not all bad, it is modular cells that are bad, so you can do 1 good battery out of 2 bad ones, or 2 good ones out of 3 bad ones. There are lots of Prius's in boneyards right now and that we cannot work on the Prius is a bunch of hype.

      Also, I recently replaced my axillary battery with a $160 kit including an optima battery. Far superior then Toyota stock underpowered joke. Solved my electrical problems, and with the conversion kit (really an overstatement, replacing a small battery cable and a battery connector....did the whole thing45 minutes, while replacing a regular car battery takes 15 minutes to 45 minutes.

      I was worried about the green bars on my traction battery...funny after I replaced the Aux 12 volt battery I have not had a hint of an electrical problem..even the green bars are maxed out like when the car was new.
      ....except the taillight that has an on and off switch in the hatch....close the hatch it doesn't work, close the hatch it works....ad nauseum
      This is clearly because Toyota decided to use 22guage wires instead of the standard 16 or 18 gauge wires...the thicker wires would have been more durable, Toyota ignored that when they went to very thin wires on their electrical.

      Dan
      More Green Bars
      Posted by:
      "mallonwc" william_c_mallonee@... mallonwc
      Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:13 pm (PDT)

      --- In toyota-prius@ yahoogroups. com, GREGMCKAY@.. . wrote:

      > We live at the bottom of a long down-hill run (about 1 mile)... it
      is more and more frequent with our 2006 that we hit the driveway with
      our MFD showing the battery at all bars green or as full as it wants
      it... (used to we would get all but one green)... and where it didn't
      ever used to be enough for it to feel it needed to discharge, it is
      happening some now. There have only been a couple of cases (two I
      think) when the regen shut off, but I expect with age that it will be
      doing this more often as well.

      I'm having the same experience as Greg. A 2006 with 95,000 miles and
      much more time this winter with the energy screen bars in the green. I
      guess it has something to do with the hv battery aging. Does anyone
      have an idea what is going on? If the HV battery is about to die, I
      sure hope it is in the next 5000 miles.

      Bill

    • Dan
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1, 2010
        http://www.elearnaid.com/12vo1topraub.html

        Yellow Top Optima is on sale for $161 and shipping was either free or $10. They use the large USPS one price box. great directions.

        It is
        1 - optima battery
        1 - 10 guage wire with ring connector on one end, standard american connector on the other (not big led connector, modern connector)
        1 - positive battery connector which bolts to old battery cable (one 10mm bolt undone, swap in ends, redo bolt)
        1 - hose and plastic connector for battery vent
        1 - plug for other battery vent hole (make sure you plug the other hole before installing battery).

        It is actually quite simple, but you have to stop and think about the positive connector.
        And if you don't want to lose your settings, you need to "jumpstart" your fusebox with one of those 12v portable batteries. You know the red tab in the fuseblock under the hood. Connect 12v + there, and 12v - to a good ground.

        Be careful removing the plastic connectors from the Positive, the wires are 22 guage (telephone wire thickness) and gently press on the releases for the connectors.

        The battery is on the passenger side rear of car, under the little cover on the "floor"

        Like I said it took me 45 minutes, with a small metric wrench and socket set. 10 mm deep socket (use 1/4" drive its easier) and 10mm wrench. Next time it will probably take me 15-20 minutes

        Dan - where did you get your Optima conversion kit?
        Stan in San Diego 2005 Prius. Thanks.