Re: [toyota-prius] 2003 "hum" from front end

  • Larry Finch
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 4, 2010
      On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 8:30 PM, Pierre Andersson <attre@...>wrote:

      > Hi!
      >
      > I have the same symptoms on my 2001. I too think it's a well bearing
      > byt I cant confirm it (yet) since the well rotates with ease when the
      > front end is lifted. For me it's to early to tell so i will let it be
      > for the time being and lately the sound i reduced or i just can't hear
      > it for the sound from the studded tires.

      After 4 days of diagnosis they replaced the right front wheel bearing, and
      it appears to have fixed the problem.

      best regards,
      Larry

      --
      Larry Finch

      N 40° 53' 47"
      W 74° 03' 56"

    • honolulusnowwhite
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 4, 2010
        I have similar noise on my 2004 with 96K miles and *believe* that it is the right front bearing. Hard to be sure which side of the car the noise is coming from, though. The noise is there at very slow speeds so I've had my wife drive the car in circles while I am standing outside, trying to figure out which side the noise is coming from.

        I'm going to attempt to replace the RF bearing over the weekend and see if that helps - or not.

        Patrick Wong

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 4, 2010
          On Mon, Jan 04, 2010 at 01:48:02PM -0000, honolulusnowwhite wrote:
          > I have similar noise on my 2004 with 96K miles and *believe* that it
          > is the right front bearing. Hard to be sure which side of the car the
          > noise is coming from, though. The noise is there at very slow speeds
          > so I've had my wife drive the car in circles while I am standing
          > outside, trying to figure out which side the noise is coming from.
          >
          > I'm going to attempt to replace the RF bearing over the weekend and
          > see if that helps - or not.

          Axle shafts are common problems on front wheel drive vehicles. No reason
          to expect a Prius to be any different.

          Usual cause of axle shaft failure is cracked or broken CV boots. And
          usually things are quiet driving straight but pop when turning. But
          thats only "usually."

          One might consider the amount of labor involved to replace front wheel
          bearings and consider whether the added cost of rebuilt axle shafts are
          cheap insurance.

          Its much the same as for replacing the water pump when one is in there
          replacing the timing belt. New pump is cheaper than the labor, even if
          one is doing it oneself.