Re: [toyota-prius] Engine does not warm up!!

  • David dixen
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 31, 2009
      Some people have good luck by blocking part of the radiator.   It also seems to improve the gas mileage.

      David
      White
      MN

      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 1, 2010

        > > Then the return of winter & my low engine temps started. I changed the
        > > thermostat, coolant level is up...bleed the air out...with no effect. The
        > > weather for the next few days will be in the teens...I drive 15 miles to
        > > work which is plenty of time for it to warm up, but doesn't.
        > >

        > They symptom still indicates a stuck thermostat, even if you changed it.
        >
        > best,
        > Larry
        > --
        > Larry Finch
        >
        > N 40° 53' 47"
        > W 74° 03' 56"

        Correct, I changed the thermostat to a 190 degree one. Yesterday I drove to work(15 miles)with the heat off, outside temp 31...the engine warmed up slowly to 190...it maintained 188/90 for a couple of minutes...turned on the heat & engine temp dropped to a low of 137...interior heat continued to blow hot...turned off interior heat...engine temp started to go up...arrived at work with engine temp of 173.

        Over the weekend I will try blocking the radiator & see what happens.

        ~ron~
      • Stan
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 1, 2010
          Thermostat is still not working. Go to a NAPA store and get a good quality one. Test it on your stove with a cooking thermometer. Test the old one also. Should close up fast when under max temp.

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 1, 2010
            Have to agree with Larry - sounds like the new thermostat is opening correctly, but not closing until it gets REALLY cold (as in, engine off...). There are two parameters for a thermostat, and it appears the lower limit isn't high enough on the new one. Is 190 the correct temp for Prius anyway? Toyota part, or aftermarket?

            Of course, running with such a low engine temp will play hell with mpg too.

            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 1, 2010
              On Jan 1, 2010, at 4:16 PM, Peter Blackford wrote:

              > Have to agree with Larry - sounds like the new thermostat is opening correctly, but not closing until it gets REALLY cold (as in, engine off...). There are two parameters for a thermostat, and it appears the lower limit isn't high enough on the new one. Is 190 the correct temp for Prius anyway? Toyota part, or aftermarket?
              >
              > Of course, running with such a low engine temp will play hell with mpg too.

              I forgot if this was a 1G or 2G, and if 2G does it have the thermos bottle?

              If 2G with thermos then I would suspect whatever valves are used to support this system.

              When the heater is engaged for the first time I would expect a small drop in the engine coolant temperature when cold coolant from the heater core hits. But the volume of that coolant should be small with respect to that which is circulating in the engine. Which leads me to suspect the water pump itself.

            • Karl H
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 2, 2010
                I'm wondering about your coolant level. I remember people talking about an air pocket, maybe thats the problem.

                Be careful that you don't block the electic's radiator.

                --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "bob_tail_scout" <bob_tail_scout@...> wrote:

                > > > Then the return of winter & my low engine temps started. I changed the
                > > > thermostat, coolant level is up...bleed the air out...with no effect. The
                > > > weather for the next few days will be in the teens...I drive 15 miles to
                > > > work which is plenty of time for it to warm up, but doesn't.
                > > >

                > > They symptom still indicates a stuck thermostat, even if you changed it.
                > >
                > > best,
                > > Larry
                > > --
                > > Larry Finch
                > >
                > > N 40° 53' 47"
                > > W 74° 03' 56"
                > >
                > Correct, I changed the thermostat to a 190 degree one. Yesterday I drove to work(15 miles)with the heat off, outside temp 31...the engine warmed up slowly to 190...it maintained 188/90 for a couple of minutes...turned on the heat & engine temp dropped to a low of 137...interior heat continued to blow hot...turned off interior heat...engine temp started to go up...arrived at work with engine temp of 173.
                >
                > Over the weekend I will try blocking the radiator & see what happens.
                >
                > ~ron~

              • johnamerc48
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 2, 2010
                  Ron, I cover the air venting slots in the bumper of my 01 Prius with 2" clear packaging tape in the winter, once the daily highs are in the 50's and lower. It needs to be replaced a couple of times a season as it tends to become detached. It has been mentioned here before as a way to improve gas mileage in the winter. When first mentioned it this group years ago there was concern of damaging some components due to over heating. All I can say is that I have done it since 2001 and have nearly 315,000 miles on my car. I replaced the inverter water pump at 282,000 miles, though I doubt that was related to this procedure. I have left the tape in place until temps reach 70 degrees with no apparent damage.

                  My car stays in stealth mode much more frequently with this technique and I expect it helps my MPG.

                  John

                  --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "bob_tail_scout" <bob_tail_scout@...> wrote:

                  > I have an "02 Prius with about 82,000 miles that I have owned since new with no engine temp problems.
                  >
                  > This problem started late last winter...when the weather got to 30 degrees & below, the engine temp. would fluctuate between 130 to 180 according to my Scan GaugeII. When I turn on the heater fan it would go down...I understand the heater will take away heat from the engine, but not as much as 30 to 50 degrees. With heater off, engine temp might, might not go up. My thoughts were the thermostat was stuck open.
                  >
                  > This all ended when the weather warmed up. All summer long the engine temp maintained 184-86.
                  >
                  > Then the return of winter & my low engine temps started. I changed the thermostat, coolant level is up...bleed the air out...with no effect. The weather for the next few days will be in the teens...I drive 15 miles to work which is plenty of time for it to warm up, but doesn't.
                  >
                  > ~ron~

                • bob_tail_scout
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 3, 2010
                    --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "bob_tail_scout" <bob_tail_scout@...> wrote:

                    > I have an "02 Prius with about 82,000 miles that I have owned since new with no engine temp problems.

                    The original thermostat is 82c = 179f, I installed the 88c = 190f based on info I read on the Prius-Technicle forum that it will increase MPG. I tested it in a pan of water on the stove & it worked OK.

                    Yesterday I put some cardboard in front of 2/3rds of the radiator... outside temp 8 degrees, I drove with no heat on... engine warmed up to 190-2 & maintained that for about 3 miles at 55mph... turned the heat on & engine temp dropped to 128... turned heat off, engine warmed up to 154... got off highway & did some 30mph local streets... engine temp got to 172 with heat off... turned heat on & engine temp started to go down.

                    Last winter when the outside temp was above 35 the engine temp would maintain 184-6 with heat on or off... In the Chicago burbs outside temps above 20-30 are not in the next 7-10 days...Until then I guess I will deal with it.

                    I real don't like the use of the cardboard, I would rather go with the "pool noodle" idea & block the front grille opening.

                    ~ron~