Re: [toyota-prius] steering/battery?

  • Levi Smith
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 5, 2009
      Every time I've read your description on these lists, the answer was a
      replacement steering rack...

      That doesn't sound like a bad HV battery description...

      Levi

      On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 9:51 AM, purpleasdhope <purpleasdhope@...>wrote:

      > Hi all,
      >
      > On my 2002 the steering wheel was uncontrolably shaking at times and before
      > I could take it to the dealer the "!" warning light came on.
      >
      > The dealer says that it is the hybrid battery that needs to be replaced.
      > When I asked about the shaking steering wheel he said the new battery would
      > fix that because the low power to the 12 computers was causing the problem.
      > Does this make sense?
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Hope

    • David dixen
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 5, 2009
        Hi All;

        Regarding the lack of feed back or road feel in the Prius:

        Has anyone attempted to simply disconnect the power source to the electric steering?

        What happened?

        I have never had any trouble with handling on a manual steering auto.    I expect that the electric steering would not have much, if any drag that a hydraulic system might have.

        If I cannot get  better feed back/handeling from Prius steering I am going to buy a VW or a Mazda again.

          )

        Recent Activity:

        New Members
        2

        Visit Your Group
        Start a New Topic

        To access group's website features such as Files, Photos, Links, Database and Polls, go to

        , Photos, Links, Database and Polls, go to

        Reply to sender

        Reply to group

        MARKETPLACE

        Mom Power: Discover the community of moms doing more for their families, for the world and for each other

        .

      • tochatihu
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 5, 2009
          If you remove the electric steering assist fuse, the system will cease and you will get an error message. You can drive the car in that mode and see if you like it.

          I suspect you won't because there are fewer wheel turns 'lock to lock' compared to manual steering vehicles. So, more effort for a given angle of deflection. Some NHW11 prius drivers have experienced the steering offline condition and didn't like it.

          After your test drive, replace the fuse and the error message will go away (after a restart or three).

          DAS
        • David dixen
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 7, 2009
            Where is the power steering fuse?    I did not find it at two sites under the hood.

            David
            White
            MN

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 8, 2009
              --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "purpleasdhope" <purpleasdhope@...> wrote:

              > The dealer says that it is the hybrid battery that needs to be > replaced.
              > When I asked about the shaking steering wheel he said the new battery > would fix that because the low power to the 12 computers was causing > the problem. Does this make sense?

              Nope, makes no sense. The computers work off the 12 volt battery, not the "hybrid" battery, which I assume means the traction battery. And, when the Prius is in ready mode (the carisn turned on) the 12 volt battery battery is continuously charged at about 14 volts, receiving the charge from the inverter and the traction battery. Plenty of voltage to run the computers.

              Dave '01 Prius