2002 Prius funny whirr going around corners to the left

  • stvhighland
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 22 2:30 PM
      On my way out mushroom hunting yesterday I noticed my 2002 Prius (~100K miles) makes a different sound when I'm rounding gradual curves to the left on the highway. It makes no new sound going to the right, only to the left.

      The sound is hard to characterize. It's sort of a louder whirr than when I'm going straight. It isn't dramatic enough to call 'grinding' (yet, sigh).

      I suppose this points to something going on in my wheel bearings, perhaps? Any ideas on what to look for or try in order to find out what is happening?

      Thanks in advance,

      Steve in Duluth

      *Completely -'triangle.of.death - free' since I cleaned out the throttle plate with the Q tips!*
    • tochatihu
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 22 7:07 PM
        It is not so easy to feel bad wheel bearings in the front. You must lift both front wheels. When you turn one the other (and a bunch of metal in between) turns the opposite way.

        Much easier to feel on the rears since they just 'hang there'.

        If you also hear these sounds driving straight, it's less likely a CV joint.

        Only advice, as you will probably be spending bearing money sooner or later, start shopping for price now. I have heard that costs for this can vary a lot.

        DAS
      • stvhighland
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 3, 2009
          A few folks responded to me directly on my 'whirr' question a while back (thanks!) and I did indeed discover that my left front wheel bearing was shot. (When I jacked it up I found it was so bad I could wiggle the wheel back and forth nearly a half inch.)

          I had a friend replace the bearing a couple of days ago. He had a devil of a time trying to get some sort of locking ring out of the assembly, but finally succeeded with a lot of "torch + hammer" work.

          The whirr problem is completely cured now, having been replaced with a vibration problem. I asked whether a wheel alignment should be needed after this sort of work, and my friend says no but another fellow I know says yes. Hmm ...

          I wonder whether my left front tire is screwed up somehow or has an internal belt failure ... I'll get that looked at tomorrow.

          Does anyone else have thoughts on what to look for?

          One more question -- Looking at the disc brake pads I see that the inner pad on the right front looks more heavily worn than the other three pads in front. Have other people had any problems with brake caliper pins freezing up? I'm going to try to take a closer look at the thing soon.

          I found out that replacement pads come in a variety of qualities and prices. Does it matter much which you choose on a car with 100K+ miles?

          Thanks again,

          Steve in Duluth

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 3, 2009
            in context...

            >A few folks responded to me directly on my 'whirr' question a while back (thanks!) and I did indeed discover that my left front wheel bearing was shot. (When I jacked it up I found it was so bad I could wiggle the wheel back and forth nearly a half inch.)

            ouch - waay bad!

            >I had a friend replace the bearing a couple of days ago. He had a devil of a time trying to get some sort of locking ring out of the assembly, but finally succeeded with a lot of "torch + hammer" work.

            double ouch...

            >The whirr problem is completely cured now, having been replaced with a vibration problem. I asked whether a wheel alignment should be needed after this sort of work, and my friend says no but another fellow I know says yes. Hmm ...

            could also be just an odd wear pattern which developed as the play in the old bearing did... so, just swap the tire with another corner of the car (like- front to back, sime side) and see what happens. that 'work' is free if you DIY.

            >One more question -- Looking at the disc brake pads I see that the inner pad on the right front looks more heavily worn than the other three pads in front. Have other people had any problems with brake caliper pins freezing up? I'm going to try to take a closer look at the thing soon.

            here too, if you could free up the caliper slides it would likely be a good thing to do (reminding me that I need to do that too...)

            >I found out that replacement pads come in a variety of qualities and prices. Does it matter much which you choose on a car with 100K+ miles?

            Why should the miles matter? DO replace the pads when needed (as opposed to waiting longer..), and get the ones closest to OEM since those have both stopped, and lasted well - "if it ain't broke, don't try to improve it".