Re: Synthetic Oil Use?

  • storky_attbi
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 2, 2009
      --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, kevin <shdrdr@...> wrote:

      > I would use mineral oil for the first 10k miles, and synthetic after that.
      >
      > On the other hand, I think synthetic is overkill in a Prius if you change the oil every 5k miles like the manual says.

      You may extend the change interval for synthetic use as long as you document the engine condition with occasional oil analysis.

      My neighbor and I performed oil change intervals as long as 12,000 miles. Oil analysis by Blackstone Labs helped us refine our respective oil change intervals. After oil analysis, 9000 miles appears to be the best interval for my 2001 Prius which experiences relatively short commutes (~7 miles each way) and 100% city driving. The refined interval for my neighbor's 2006 Prius with his high speed, lengthy highway driving habits could be safely extended to 11,000 miles.

      The warranty on my engine expired years ago, but any claim of oil-related failure leveled against my neighbor would be easily countered by five lab analysis documents demonstrating no unusual wear elements and TBN values indicating that the oil additives were never depleted.

      Mark in Des Plaines, IL
      2001 Electric Green Mica, 89,500 miles