Re: Synthetic Oil Use?

  • Karl
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 30, 2009
      What about buying large amounts of synthetic oil (sale, bulk, however) and storing for long periods. I hear organic oil has a limited shelf life, does the synthetic oil have the same issue?

      --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, Rob Morrell <rmkroll@...> wrote:

      > Steve,
      > I agree with Peter and Stan. The Factory fill when it's new is Synthetic
      > it's a high quality Nippon oil (Eneos) 0/20, Toyota uses Mobil and Nippon
      > products for all it's cars but in this case it's the Nippon or Eneos 0-20
      > and I highly recommend it to get the maximum mileage possible. This oil was
      > specifically designed for Toyota. there are other high quality 0/20 out
      > there but this product is somewhat unique for this application and I have no
      > idea why someone would not use a synthetic for this car. This engine is
      > pretty easy on the oil dilution so I think personally 7500 miles is fine
      > with a higher quality synthetic like this. There are less expensive
      > Hydro-Cracked so called synthetics available but the higher quality base for
      > this oil and high quality additive package will offer the little
      > extra mileage you want.
      >
      > Be careful what the dealer tells you is the oil they see versus what the
      > real factory fill is. On the back of this Toyota bottle for the 0/20 from
      > Japan is says Nippon oil on it, Eneos is their aftermarket brand name, the
      > aftermarket product does not have the same cost restrictions so the quality
      > is actually slightly higher. This car is very reliable and worth keeping for
      > a high mileage which is another good reason to stay with the
      > category synthetic it came with. Hope this answers your question..
    • Rob Morrell
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 30, 2009
        I've had the same experience, got bored driving them before they wore out.
        Rob

        On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 5:44 PM, David dixen <david51240@...> wrote:

        > I used Mobil 1 in a 1976 Honda Accord. Changed every 10,000 miles and
        > still got a life time average mileage of 36 mpg at 275,000. We had to
        > give up the car at 375,000.
        >
        > David
        > White
        > MN

      • johnamerc48
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 1, 2009
          --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "cristphoto" <cristphoto@...> wrote:

          > I just got my wife a 2010 Prius today. I'm a fan of synthetic oil and use Mobil One exclusively in my Acura. I know the Acura forums agreed that it's best to wait a couple oil changes before changing to synthetic. Is this a good practice for the Toyotas also? Any comments on this topic? Thanks. Steve

          My 01 Prius suggests an oil change @ 7500 miles for normal conditions. I have mainly used Mobil 1 0W30 and change oil between 7500 and 10,000 miles. Now a little north of 289,000 miles and going strong. Unless I drive very fast, 75 MPH or higher for extended periods, I only use less than 1/2 quart of oil between changes. Also my mileage gauge has not been reset for the last 52,000 miles and reads 53.1 MPG. a majority of my driving is at 55 MPH or lower in upstate NY.
        • storky_attbi
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 2, 2009
            --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, kevin <shdrdr@...> wrote:

            > I would use mineral oil for the first 10k miles, and synthetic after that.
            >
            > On the other hand, I think synthetic is overkill in a Prius if you change the oil every 5k miles like the manual says.

            You may extend the change interval for synthetic use as long as you document the engine condition with occasional oil analysis.

            My neighbor and I performed oil change intervals as long as 12,000 miles. Oil analysis by Blackstone Labs helped us refine our respective oil change intervals. After oil analysis, 9000 miles appears to be the best interval for my 2001 Prius which experiences relatively short commutes (~7 miles each way) and 100% city driving. The refined interval for my neighbor's 2006 Prius with his high speed, lengthy highway driving habits could be safely extended to 11,000 miles.

            The warranty on my engine expired years ago, but any claim of oil-related failure leveled against my neighbor would be easily countered by five lab analysis documents demonstrating no unusual wear elements and TBN values indicating that the oil additives were never depleted.

            Mark in Des Plaines, IL
            2001 Electric Green Mica, 89,500 miles