Does replacing Integrity Tires with Pirelli tires impact MPG?

  • mbennette22
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 30 10:48 AM
      I have been reading some posts on this but didn't see what I was specifically looking for. My 2007 Prius came with Goodyear Integrity tires and reached it's time to be replaced (at 36k miles). I went to Wheel Works, and the whole package to replace it with Integrity would cost $495 for everything with a $60 discount including road hazard insurance. I could go with Pirelli's that would cost only $350 for everything with a better discount (4th tire free).

      The worker told me that the performance of the Pirelli's are much better in terms of handling and traction, and I wouldn't doubt that. The Integrity don't seem to handle/corner well and I get concerned driving my family in the rain because it can slip when breaking, accelerating, or turning (and I'm considered the safe/slow driver by most). In addition, the Pirelli's come with a 80k warranty, and Integrity would usually come with 50k but Goodyear voids it for the Prius because they figured out that most drivers won't make it to 50k with a Prius due to the heavy battery.

      The downfall is that the worker said he has heard the Prius may get less MPG with a Pirelli because it is heavier, but doesn't know how much. He said one reason Toyota picked the Integrity was for the light weight and better MPG. I wanted to see if anybody has experience with this. I'm leaning towards the Pirelli's to save $150 and for warranty, and I'm willing to sacrifice a 1-2 MPG for the price and its performance.

      I usually will get 51-53 MPG in most months of the year with about 75% freeway driving and in the California weather and it's not too cold. In the the winter months/winter fuel, I get about 49-51 mpg.

      Any thoughts or experience in this? It doesn't have to be Integrity vs. Pirelli tires either, I'm interested in whether anybody replaced OEM with different tires. Some posts have said there is no MPG loss, and others said they saw a considerable amount.
    • GREGMCKAY@aol.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 30 1:16 PM
        I would suggest that it is likely that you will see a drop in mileage with the Pirellis AND with the replacement Integrities...??? unless the replacement Integrities are off of a new Prius.

        You can probably expect some loss in MPG just because you will be going from older worn tires to new tires,

        We wanted to replace our 45k mile Integrities with more of the same to get the same mileage.? We had seen no handling problems and no safety issues with them.? (we did replace the stiffening plate on our 2006 to get better handling)

        We went with Michelin MXV4 tires and we saw a drop from 54 to 52 mpg.? We are hoping that as the tires wear weill regain the 2mpg.

        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 30 1:36 PM
          The original Integrity tires have low rolling resistance by using a very thin and flexible sidewall which is one ply.The tradeoff is low tire mileage if you corner aggressively and of course, poor transient response when cornering. Even at 42 psi, I felt the sidewall was leaning over and displacing the tread from parallel to the road. At 20,000 miles, they were worn out and I decided that I would replace them with the best I could find. Discount Tire carries the Michelin Primacy MXV4 and at 80k (2005 White) I am on my second set. Cornering is vastly superior as is ride and tire mileage at 30k per set. The trade off is gas mileage. I average about 40mpg which is mostly around town here in San Diego. I pay almost $600 a set with the optional Discount guarantee which I heartily recommend. Under this warranty, Discount has replaced 3 damaged tires for me at little or no cost. The warranty alone keeps me from going to Costco. Stan in San Diego

        • Jon Wilson
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 30 2:34 PM
            Except for fuel economy, almost any tire will be better than the original
            Integritys. I replaced the originals on my '05 with Michelin Hydroedge and
            saw no significant change in mpg, but get much better handling. They may be
            a bit more noisy, but with my hearing impairment I cannot tell.

            Others have had similar experiences.

            Jon

            >I have been reading some posts on this but didn't see what I was
            >specifically looking for. My 2007 Prius came with Goodyear Integrity tires
            >and reached it's time to be replaced (at 36k miles). I went to Wheel
            >Works, and the whole package to replace it with Integrity would cost $495
            >for everything with a $60 discount including road hazard insurance. I could
            >go with Pirelli's that would cost only $350 for everything with a better
            >discount (4th tire free).
            >
            > The worker told me that the performance of the Pirelli's are much better
            > in terms of handling and traction, and I wouldn't doubt that. The
            > Integrity don't seem to handle/corner well and I get concerned driving my
            > family in the rain because it can slip when breaking, accelerating, or
            > turning (and I'm considered the safe/slow driver by most). In addition,
            > the Pirelli's come with a 80k warranty, and Integrity would usually come
            > with 50k but Goodyear voids it for the Prius because they figured out that
            > most drivers won't make it to 50k with a Prius due to the heavy battery.
            >
            > The downfall is that the worker said he has heard the Prius may get less
            > MPG with a Pirelli because it is heavier, but doesn't know how much. He
            > said one reason Toyota picked the Integrity was for the light weight and
            > better MPG. I wanted to see if anybody has experience with this. I'm
            > leaning towards the Pirelli's to save $150 and for warranty, and I'm
            > willing to sacrifice a 1-2 MPG for the price and its performance.
            >
            > I usually will get 51-53 MPG in most months of the year with about 75%
            > freeway driving and in the California weather and it's not too cold. In
            > the the winter months/winter fuel, I get about 49-51 mpg.
            >
            > Any thoughts or experience in this? It doesn't have to be Integrity vs.
            > Pirelli tires either, I'm interested in whether anybody replaced OEM with
            > different tires. Some posts have said there is no MPG loss, and others
            > said they saw a considerable amount.
          • K. B. Eric Riddle
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 30 3:37 PM
              Pirelli P4 and P6 tires are lrr rated. ANY new tires will positively impact handling and safety over the (lack of) Integrity that came with the car. I replaced mine a 8k, my ex-wife got a new set of Michelins on her Camry at 22k and a couple of people I work with have ditched the factory tires befor 20k for the same reason I did...safety.

              I am running Yokohama Avid H4s in 195HR60-15 size with no noticeable loss of economy.

              K. B. Eric Riddle
              1983 GL1100i & CB1000C
              2005 Prius
              2007 HHR & 2004 Ion
              Bellevue, Sarpy County, Nebraska

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 30 4:02 PM
                ....but since there is no standard measurement or rating system for LRR, it is not possible to compare different brands of tires regarding LRR, regardless of what one manufacturer might advertise.

                so back to your original question....

                You will likely see a reduction in MPG when you replace used Integrity tires?with new Pirelli tires.

                If you are wanting to improve handling on a 2G Prius, replace the stiffening plate and you will likely see dramatically improved handling.?? We were amazed at the difference.

                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 30 5:49 PM
                  There may not be an established rolling resistance table, the fact that certain tire companies are even attempting to build and sell tires that are LRR
                  (those that come to  mind are Yokohama, Pirelli, Bridgestone and Hankook) and I guess we will have to wait for Obamaland to get a mandate to standardize
                  LRR criteria.  For one, Yokohama will not certify a tire as LRR unless it is 1)-directional; 2)-meets internal engineering standards set by the manufacture.
                  Bridgestone/Firestone has similar criteria.

                  I replaced my tires first, then the stiffening plate.  The larger (wider) tires improved handling tremendously, the stiffening plate increase high speed stability (70 mph+) as well as improved steering feel.  With the Integrities, you will only get about %40 bnifit from the plate without rubber improvement.  And finally, a BMW style lip spoiler on the leading edge of the air foil.  Instant hadling relief.

                  ____________ _________ _________ __

                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 30 5:53 PM
                    On Mar 30, 2009, at 10:36 , Stan Sexton wrote:

                    > The original Integrity tires have low rolling resistance by using
                    > a very thin and flexible sidewall which is one ply.The tradeoff is
                    > low tire mileage if you corner aggressively and of course, poor
                    > transient response when cornering. Even at 42 psi, I felt the
                    > sidewall was leaning over and displacing the tread from parallel to
                    > the road. At 20,000 miles, they were worn out

                    geez... you must do some major cornering. Mine are still going strong
                    at 32,000 miles. Lots of tread left.
                  • GREGMCKAY@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 30 6:03 PM
                      but since the original question was concering MPG, the handling improvement from the stiffening plate with existing rubber and thus no drop in MPG would be preferred....?? to changing tires, losing?fuel economy?and gaining handling...

                      We have had no issue with handling during the 45k+ miles that we had our Integrities.? We were happy with the fuel economy from our Integrities.

                      We are not going to be driving our Prius in the same manner that? drive our 300zx.

                      I think most folks will not be looking for the handling of a 300zx if they are driving a Prius.

                      .....they might however, be looking for the best MPG that they can get...

                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 31 6:02 AM
                        I have Pirelli P3000 on my 2004 and do not notice any mpg reduction. However I did notice some tire noise that seems to diminish after some miles have been logged.

                        After 10K miles or so, the tires appear to be quite long-wearing, so the 80K mile warranty seems appropriate. Handling and ride are good.

                        Patrick Wong

                        --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "mbennette22" <mbennette@...> wrote:

                        > ...I could go with Pirelli's that would cost only $350 for everything with a better discount (4th tire free).
                        >
                        > ...The downfall is that the worker said he has heard the Prius may get less MPG with a Pirelli because it is heavier, but doesn't know how much....
                      • kevin
                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 1, 2009
                          I just did 45,000 mile service. The original tires still have lots of tread left.

                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 1, 2009
                            I just have to ask...how much tread IS left?