Re: Goodrich Tires

  • dldorrance
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2009
      Check your tire pressure in the morning before driving the car.
      Maximum gas mileage (and bumpiest ride) occurs when the front tires
      are inflated to the maximum specified pressure inscribed on the
      sidewall of each tire. The rear tires should be 2 psi less than the
      front tires for optimum handling. That maximum pressure is the "cold"
      pressure. If driven before checking the pressure, the heat generated
      by driving raises the pressure, giving a false reading. This also
      means the cold pressure may need to be adjusted seasonally.

      Dave '01 Prius

      --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "framess902" <framess902@...> wrote:

      > I installed new Goodrich tires, over 4K miles ago, over the last 2
      > months, my avg MPG has dropped 6-8 MPG. What happened ?????

    • Jeffrey Denenberg
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2009
        --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "framess902" <framess902@...> wrote:

        > I installed new Goodrich tires, over 4K miles ago, over the last 2
        > months, my avg MPG has dropped 6-8 MPG. What happened ?????

        You bough the wrong tires! Most tires will get lower MPG than the OE
        Goodyear Integrity tires that come with most Prii. There are a few
        tires (not many) that will get better MPG. My favorite tires for MPG,
        all-weather traction and ride stability are Nokian WRg2 (I have the
        older WRs). I find them to improve MPG over the OE Goodyear by about
        2 MPG. Besides the OEs became quite dangerous in bad weather when
        worn due to poor traction.

        JeffD