Re: Prius, a car for bikers?

  • Craig Angard
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 28, 2009
      I also ride recumbent bikes using my 2004 Prius. My long wheelbase
      recumbent bike (almost as long as a tandem) is mounted on the roof
      using a Thule rack and Tandem Topper rais ( www.atoc.com ). A few
      years ago I drove a round trip in mild weather NYC to Florida with
      two of these bikes mounted on the roof and only got 25 mpg.

      The last couple of years I have been riding a Greenspeed GTO
      recumbent trike ( http://greenspeed.com.au/gto.html ) using a
      Coastal ETech receiver and a Hitch Rider rack (
      http://hitchrider.com/1trike-1.htm & http://hitchrider.com/1trike-
      5.htm ). The links are examples of what the set-up looks like. I
      opted for this set-up because the trike weighs over 40 pounds. There
      didn't appear to be any decrease in my usual mpg.

      I have found several advantages to using a hitch mounted rack over
      the roof mounted rack:
      1 - better aerodynamics
      2 - no bugs getting smashed onto the trike frame
      3 - Much easier on my bad back when mounting and dismounting the trike
      to the rack
      4 - The rack is a lot easier to put on the Prius versus the roof rack
      5 - Lastly: Not having to worry about the bike striking something
      low, liking going into a parking garage and forgetting that the
      bike is on the roof. I did that once. Thankfully the bike just
      scraped the garage roof. If the roof was a millimeter lower
      there would have been major damage to the bike, rack, and the
      Prius.

      Craig