Prius, a car for bikers?

  • juanitamaiz
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 26, 2009
      We're thinking of buying a Prius, wonder if it's a good car for hauling
      around bikes. Any comments from bikers out there?

      Thanks in advance,
      Jan and Jerry
    • Gary's Lists
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 26, 2009
        I put a hitch on mine and it works great with the bike rack I have.

        Gary

        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 26, 2009
          My experience with the Classic is that the gas mileage will go down
          considerably. But that is not so terrible unless you drive a lot of miles
          for your rides.

          Barry

        • Karl Okamoto
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 27, 2009
            Jan and Jerry -- we took our 2008 Prius on vacation last fall with a
            bike rack and two bikes on the back. The rack uses a 1-1/4" receiver
            hitch, and the bikes mount up transversely. We drove about 2600 miles
            throughout the Pacific Northwest, with an overall mileage of 42mpg for
            the trip. We found that the bikes act as a "mini-parachute" off the
            back bumper, creating a blockage as the air passes over and behind the
            car. In order to keep the mileage up, I had to drive at or under
            60mph consistently, which is not hard to do in WA and OR. Performance
            was otherwise not affected.

            Hope this helps.... kso

            --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "juanitamaiz" <janandjer@...> wrote:

            > We're thinking of buying a Prius, wonder if it's a good car for hauling
            > around bikes. Any comments from bikers out there?
            >
            > Thanks in advance,
            > Jan and Jerry

          • Arthur
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 27, 2009
              It is great for bikes even without a hitch.  I easily fit two bikes inside the hatchback (taking off the front wheels) and one of the bikes is an extra large frame.  Of course the rear seats will have to be down.

            • GREGMCKAY@aol.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 27, 2009
                We have hauled our bikes with our Prius....

                We have hauled them on a yakima rack on top of the Prius.? No problems (other than increased drag and lower fuel economy)

                We have hauled some inside with the rear seats folded down and womething to protect the fabric from chain lube and tire rubs.

                We have a hitch receiver as well.? This will be our prefered method for carrying bikes.? We also have researched the potential weaknesses to using this hitch receiver on a Prius, and the ways to strengthen the reciever to avoid the problems.? We hope to have this in place in the nect few weeks.

                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 28, 2009
                  Two thoughts:
                  How close do the bikes sit to the back of the car?
                  How high on the back of the car do they sit?

                  If the bikes could be set closer to the body of the car, AND lowered
                  so not as much is in the direct wind flow. I figure down to the
                  bottom of the rear bumper would be safe. If this is done, the
                  cutting of the carrier would also remove weight.

                  Years back, I was outside a bike shop chatting with a couple of the
                  employees about a Fiero (Origional style) that had two fork locks
                  (remove the front tire, and the bike clamps there) on the roof. They
                  said the rear tires sit perfect on the rear spoiler, and he toured
                  all the time and never had a problem.

                  If your a serious biker, and travel with them frequently, this might
                  be an option, but the locks will create drag when not in use.

                  --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "Karl Okamoto" <karl8704@...>

                • mochalleng@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 28, 2009
                    How heavy are your bikes? Mine is about 22 puonds and my ladyfriend's is a
                    little heavier and I have no issues with the receiver hitch rack. Unless your
                    bikes are like 50 pounds, you should have no issues, except for decreased gas
                    mileage.

                    Mike Hahn
                    2002 Aqua Ice Opalescent
                    147,000 miles
                    Granite City, IL

                    In a message dated 2/27/2009 12:34:20 P.M. Central Standard Time,
                    GREGMCKAY@... writes:

                    We have hauled our bikes with our Prius....

                    We have hauled them on a yakima rack on top of the Prius.? No problems
                    (other than increased drag and lower fuel economy)

                    We have hauled some inside with the rear seats folded down and womething to
                    protect the fabric from chain lube and tire rubs.

                    We have a hitch receiver as well.? This will be our prefered method for
                    carrying bikes.? We also have researched the potential weaknesses to using this
                    hitch receiver on a Prius, and the ways to strengthen the reciever to avoid
                    the problems.? We hope to have this in place in the nect few weeks.

                    We're thinking of buying a Prius, wonder if it's a good car for hauling
                    around bikes. Any comments from bikers out there?

                    Thanks in advance,
                    Jan and Jerry

                    **************You're invited to Hollywood's biggest party: Get Oscars
                    updates, red carpet pics and more at Moviefone.
                    (http://movies.aol.com/oscars-academy-awards?ncid=emlcntusmovi00000001)

                  • GREGMCKAY@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 28, 2009
                      The issue is not the raw weight, but the lever arm of the rack. There are a bunch of folks that have had the receiver bend or twist down even with relatively little weight.

                      There are some simple upgrades that can be made to avoid that issue altogether.

                      I have a photo of those improvements.
                      Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 28, 2009
                        Who are you getting the receiver hitch from? I have the one from Coastal
                        Tech. I can't see it bending or twisting unless you ran into something.

                        Mike

                        ____________________________________

                        We're thinking of buying a Prius, wonder if it's a good car for hauling
                        around bikes. Any comments from bikers out there?

                        Thanks in advance,
                        Jan and Jerry

                        ************************<WBR>**You're invited to Hollywood's biggest p
                        updates, red carpet pics and more at Moviefone.
                        (_http://movies.http://movies.http://movies.http://movies.<Whttp://mo_
                        (http://movies.aol.com/oscars-academy-awards?ncid=emlcntusmovi00000001) )

                        **************You're invited to Hollywood's biggest party: Get Oscars
                        updates, red carpet pics and more at Moviefone.
                        (http://movies.aol.com/oscars-academy-awards?ncid=emlcntusmovi00000001)

                      • Happy Home
                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 28, 2009
                          We found an arrangement that works well for us. I too purchased the
                          receiver hitch from Coastal Tech, and quickly found that it could stand
                          precious little bending. I was trying to carry bikes for the four of
                          us, and that drove me to put another rack on top of the car, using Thule
                          cross bars. I achieved a satisfactory arrangement when I purchased an
                          AToc Tandem-Topper rack for the top, and a DraftMaster rack for the
                          receiver hitch (the two racks are actually made by the same company -
                          heavy-duty & high quality), and tied the two together where they meet in
                          the rear. This is a much stiffer, more stable configuration than either
                          rack alone, and allows us to carry our tandem (doesn't have to be a
                          tandem) on top, and two-to-four regular bikes in the rear.

                          FYI, the bikes in the photo (submitted for approval to be added to "Bike
                          Rack on 2004 Prius" album under Group Photos) are under-seat-steering,
                          long-wheel-base recumbents made by Dick Ryan in the 90's. The tandem
                          is called a Duplex, and the single is called a Vanguard. Should anyone
                          be intrigued by these, they sometimes show up used, and the current
                          maker of the successor bikes is Greg Peek of Longbikes.
                        • Craig Angard
                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 28, 2009
                            I also ride recumbent bikes using my 2004 Prius. My long wheelbase
                            recumbent bike (almost as long as a tandem) is mounted on the roof
                            using a Thule rack and Tandem Topper rais ( www.atoc.com ). A few
                            years ago I drove a round trip in mild weather NYC to Florida with
                            two of these bikes mounted on the roof and only got 25 mpg.

                            The last couple of years I have been riding a Greenspeed GTO
                            recumbent trike ( http://greenspeed.com.au/gto.html ) using a
                            Coastal ETech receiver and a Hitch Rider rack (
                            http://hitchrider.com/1trike-1.htm & http://hitchrider.com/1trike-
                            5.htm ). The links are examples of what the set-up looks like. I
                            opted for this set-up because the trike weighs over 40 pounds. There
                            didn't appear to be any decrease in my usual mpg.

                            I have found several advantages to using a hitch mounted rack over
                            the roof mounted rack:
                            1 - better aerodynamics
                            2 - no bugs getting smashed onto the trike frame
                            3 - Much easier on my bad back when mounting and dismounting the trike
                            to the rack
                            4 - The rack is a lot easier to put on the Prius versus the roof rack
                            5 - Lastly: Not having to worry about the bike striking something
                            low, liking going into a parking garage and forgetting that the
                            bike is on the roof. I did that once. Thankfully the bike just
                            scraped the garage roof. If the roof was a millimeter lower
                            there would have been major damage to the bike, rack, and the
                            Prius.

                            Craig