Re: deal from dealer

  • Michelle Vadeboncoeur
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 31, 2008
      --- In toyota-prius@yahoogroups.com, "hollysgarden" <kitchenpassion@...> wrote:

      > Hi All-
      > Well, after 5 full LONG months, I just got the call that my 2009 prius
      > is in!
      > However, as my patience wore thin, I admit, I checked with another
      > dealer in the area and they offered $400 off the sticker. The current
      > dealer that now has my car is willing to match that- OR give me these
      > options instead of $400 off. I would love some feedback from you all:)
      >
      > 1) Free service for the first year (which they say is about $240)
      > 2) $400 off the extended warantee 100,000 miles or 6 years(is this
      > warantee worth it?)
      > 3) or a combo of $200 off service and $200 off price-
      > Your wisdom and experience is much appreciated!

      US scheduled maintenance guide: http://smg.toyotapartsandservice.com/
      Your first 2 scheduled services, at 5000 miles/6 months and 10,000 miles/12 months, are
      just an oil/filter change and a tire rotation. Your dealer's labor prices would have to be
      really outrageous if those 2 scheduled services were $240! (On the high side, maybe $50
      each.) Call your dealer's service department directly and ask for their pricing to find out
      for sure.

      Extended warranty - who is it offered through? If it isn't from Toyota Financial Services or
      the official partner for Southeast/Gulf States Toyota regions, I would suggest against it.

      Do not be pressured into an extended warranty at this time unless you really want it and
      can get a good deal on it - you have any time during the car's initial 3 years/36,000 miles
      to sign up for the Toyota Extra Care extended warranty (I'd only suggest the Platinum
      plan), and you can buy it from any dealer. (You do not have to go to the same dealer as
      where you purchase your car to get it serviced, nor to buy the extended warranty...)

      Extended warranty - how many miles do you usually drive in a year? Is the 6
      year/100,000 mile plan the best one for you, or would the 7 year/75,000 mile plan work,
      or would you feel better getting the 7 year/100,000 mile plan?

      Extended warranty - how much is your dealer trying to charge you for it? Note that the
      MSRP for the 6 year/100,000 mile $0 deductible plan is $1675.
      http://www.toyotafinancial.com/consumer/tfs.portal?
      _nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pg_VSAPricing&carSelected=Prius
      But, there are many Prius-friendly dealers that you can go to where you could get it for
      much cheaper. For example, the longest (and most expensive) 7 year/100,000 mile/$0
      deductible plan can be gotten from a few sources for <$1000. The shorter 6 year version
      is even more inexpensive than that...
      http://vfaq.net/docs/ExtendedWarranty.html is a little dated, but is a good start on more
      info on the extended warranty, and some suggested dealers.

      My basic thoughts are that you'd be better off getting $400 off of the car's price. If
      paying cash, it is more in your pocket for you. If you are financing, then you'll pay less in
      interest charges as you have a lower principal loan amount.

      Next best would be the $200 off price plus $200 of service, but only if you can carry over
      that $200 from one servicing to the next.

      I'd probably just walk away from an extended warranty offer, and not use that as part of
      your price bargaining. DO NOT bring web page "proof" with you (the listed dealers keep
      getting nasty phone calls from other dealers - how dare you steal my customers with such
      great pricing!?!)

      Your worst choice is the year of free service, as the dealer will be making out in that deal.

      There's still nothing saying that you don't just go to the other dealer for a better price, and
      they do a dealer to dealer transfer of your car to get it to you. You probably should've
      been on more than one waiting list in the first place, anyways.
    • GREGMCKAY@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1, 2009
        I agree.? Go with the lowest price you can get on the vehicle itself.

        Maintenance cost shoud be cheap anyway, and the extended warranty is better purchased later when you can more accurately extrapolate which version you will need.

        ....and lower vehicle cost will translate into fewer dollars financed for most folks, and that saves money longer term....

> [...]

        interest charges as you have a lower principal loan amount.

        Next best would be the $200 off price plus $200 of service, but only if you can carry over
        that $200 from one servicing to the next.

        I'd probably just walk away from an extended warranty offer, and not use that as part of
        your price bargaining. DO NOT bring web page "proof" with you (the listed dealers keep
        getting nasty phone calls from other dealers - how dare you steal my customers with such
        great pricing!?!)

        Your worst choice is the year of free service, as the dealer will be making out in that deal.

        There's still nothing saying that you don't just go to the other dealer for a better price, and
        they do a dealer to dealer transfer of your car to get it to you. You probably should've
        been on more than one waiting list in the first place, anyways.

      • Karl
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 1, 2009
          Define "the first year"...

          Some sales included a years worth of maintance, but if you read the
          fine print, that is up to four visits, not 12 months.

          Depending how you drive, this could be a good, or a bad deal

          <kitchenpassion@...> wrote:

          > Hi All-
          > Well, after 5 full LONG months, I just got the call that my 2009
          prius
          > is in!
          > However, as my patience wore thin, I admit, I checked with another
          > dealer in the area and they offered $400 off the sticker. The
          current
          > dealer that now has my car is willing to match that- OR give me
          these
          > options instead of $400 off. I would love some feedback from you
          all:)

          > 1) Free service for the first year (which they say is about $240)
          > 2) $400 off the extended warantee 100,000 miles or 6 years(is this
          > warantee worth it?)
          > 3) or a combo of $200 off service and $200 off price-
          > Your wisdom and experience is much appreciated!
          > Holly

        • Jon Wilson
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 1, 2009
            > Well, after 5 full LONG months, I just got the call that my 2009 prius
            > is in!
            > However, as my patience wore thin, I admit, I checked with another
            > dealer in the area and they offered $400 off the sticker. The current
            > dealer that now has my car is willing to match that- OR give me these
            > options instead of $400 off. I would love some feedback from you all:)
            >
            > 1) Free service for the first year (which they say is about $240)
            > 2) $400 off the extended warantee 100,000 miles or 6 years(is this
            > warantee worth it?)
            > 3) or a combo of $200 off service and $200 off price-
            > Your wisdom and experience is much appreciated!
            > Holly

            I would try to get them to take the $400 off the price of the vehicle, as
            the other dealer is willing to do. If not that, I would take number three.
            You don't need to decide on the extended warranty until your regular
            warranty is about to expire (36,000 miles or 36 months if it is the same as
            my 2005). And, by then, you may, or may not, want it. And, last I heard, you
            can get the Toyota Warranty for 100,000/7 years for less than $1,000. You
            can find out where by checking some of the Prius site data bases. I doubt
            that your dealer will match that price, even with $400 credit. And, it
            doesn't sound like your dealer is offering you the Toyota warranty (mine did
            not, he pushed an "independent" warranty at a much higher price).

            Your option number one doesn't sound too good. You would, undoubtedly, have
            to use that dealer's service, which may not be wise. Also, the recommended
            service is also related to mileage; will they do more than the two that are
            required at 6-month intervals if you drive more than the specified 10,000
            miles?

            Whatever you decide, good luck and enjoy your new car. Also, stay active on
            this and other Prius groups; you can learn a lot about your new baby.

            Jon